Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #91
Cableaddict
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 6,661
vCash: 75
Default Re: Boxing Scoring FAQ and Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceboxbiotch View Post
The 10-Point Must System is complicated and there have been (understandably) quite a few threads asking about certain aspects of properly scoring a Boxing match (as well as a lot of uninformed posters answering). So I put together a brief overview and FAQ on this topic. ....
Now here's the problem:

Where does this info come from?

This is not an official rules list from any specific commission or sanctioning body. There IS no such list, containing all aspects. They all can enforce whatever rules they want, and they don't publish a lot of specifics, specifically (IMO) so they can justify the never-end stream of BS decisions.
-------------------------

Even this list is woefully incomplete:

1: A partially-blocked Punch should not be scored"

What does that mean? Define "partially." Either it's blocked or it isn't.

If it's blocked by your opponent's glove only, does it count? If that glove was touching his face, does it count then? Does that count as much as a direct hit?

If you hit his body, but he turns with the punch, thus minimizing the impact, does that count?

How about hitting an arm?


2: "Punches behind the head are illegal."

- OK, where does the back of the head start? Thompson hit Price on the back-half of his ear. That's legal?

How about on the body - at what point is it too far back?

Suppose you hit your opponent on the back of the head because he turned away after you started to throw?
-------------


I could go on & on.
Cableaddict is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #92
Juiceboxbiotch
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 3,966
vCash: 372
Default Re: Boxing Scoring FAQ and Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableaddict View Post
Now here's the problem:

Where does this info come from?

This is not an official rules list from any specific commission or sanctioning body. There IS no such list, containing all aspects. They all can enforce whatever rules they want, and they don't publish a lot of specifics, specifically (IMO) so they can justify the never-end stream of BS decisions.
-------------------------

Even this list is woefully incomplete:

1: A partially-blocked Punch should not be scored"

What does that mean? Define "partially." Either it's blocked or it isn't.

If it's blocked by your opponent's glove only, does it count? If that glove was touching his face, does it count then? Does that count as much as a direct hit?

If you hit his body, but he turns with the punch, thus minimizing the impact, does that count?

How about hitting an arm?


2: "Punches behind the head are illegal."

- OK, where does the back of the head start? Thompson hit Price on the back-half of his ear. That's legal?

How about on the body - at what point is it too far back?

Suppose you hit your opponent on the back of the head because he turned away after you started to throw?
-------------


I could go on & on.
I am at risk of oversimplifying here, but this is how I see it:

You've pointed out some inconsistencies with an imperfect, subjective scoring system. The questions you ask are totally legit, but the answers are (for the most part) subjective and are simply judgement calls for the ref or the judges scoring the fight. This subjectivity is precisely why there are more than one judge scoring a pro boxing match. Not everyone is going to agree on everything, and that's (mostly) ok.
Juiceboxbiotch is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #93
des3995
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,374
vCash: 6005
Default Re: Boxing Scoring FAQ and Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceboxbiotch View Post
I am at risk of oversimplifying here, but this is how I see it:

You've pointed out some inconsistencies with an imperfect, subjective scoring system. The questions you ask are totally legit, but the answers are (for the most part) subjective and are simply judgement calls for the ref or the judges scoring the fight. This subjectivity is precisely why there are more than one judge scoring a pro boxing match. Not everyone is going to agree on everything, and that's (mostly) ok.
Agreed Juice. Which is why I've always thought (there are more drastic scoring changes, but this is a simple remedy), the more the merrier when it comes to judges. Different views/interpretations, but a greater consensus would (in theory at least) lead to a more accurate representation of a fight on the scorecards.
des3995 is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #94
Juiceboxbiotch
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 3,966
vCash: 372
Default Re: Boxing Scoring FAQ and Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by des3995 View Post
Agreed Juice. Which is why I've always thought (there are more drastic scoring changes, but this is a simple remedy), the more the merrier when it comes to judges. Different views/interpretations, but a greater consensus would (in theory at least) lead to a more accurate representation of a fight on the scorecards.
+1.

I would love to see 5 judges in stead of 3.
Juiceboxbiotch is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #95
MyName
Simon Adebisi
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Em City
Posts: 839
vCash: 7331
Default Re: Boxing Scoring FAQ and Discussion

Glory(Kickboxing) has 5 judges and it still seems to not have any consequences.
MyName is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:30 PM   #96
des3995
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,374
vCash: 6005
Default Re: Boxing Scoring FAQ and Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyName View Post
Glory(Kickboxing) has 5 judges and it still seems to not have any consequences.
I know very little about kickboxing.(and compared to some, just plain boxing, for that matter). But does it have the same amount of dodgy decisions as plain old boxing?
des3995 is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #97
Juiceboxbiotch
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 3,966
vCash: 372
Default Re: Boxing Scoring FAQ and Discussion

I don't know why the unsticky.
Juiceboxbiotch is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #98
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 121,502
vCash: 32000
Default Re: Boxing Scoring FAQ and Discussion

Yeah, that sucks. I'm the one who made this sticky in the first place. It definitely warrants one.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013