Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London,England
Posts: 8,991
vCash: 1000
Default Muhammad Ali 1974 v Vitali Klitschko 2004

I thought about doing the 1967 version of Ali,but it may have been too obvious as to who the winner would be ! So I've chosen probably the best year of Ali's seventies prime.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
heavy_hands
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,126
vCash: 500
Default Re: Muhammad Ali 1974 v Vitali Klitschko 2004

i hate to say that but vitali by decision and ali would take serious punishment in this fight.
70s ali did not have the tools to beat vitali, he ws too static, just the 64-67 version of ali is fast enough on his feet to beat vitali. vitali by MD against ali 74, ALI 67 BEATS VITALI BY UD
heavy_hands is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London,England
Posts: 8,991
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Muhammad Ali 1974 v Vitali Klitschko 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_hands View Post
i hate to say that but vitali by decision and ali would take serious punishment in this fight.
70s ali did not have the tools to beat vitali, he ws too static, just the 64-67 version of ali is fast enough on his feet to beat vitali. vitali by MD against ali 74, ALI 67 BEATS VITALI BY UD


I respect your opinion,but not agree with it. In '74 Ali still had enough speed to beat Vitali.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,545
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Muhammad Ali 1974 v Vitali Klitschko 2004

I think Ali looked near past it around 74-75, yes he beat Frazier and Foreman but his legs were shot. It's probably a close enough decision fight but I think I lean towards Vitali
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois USA
Posts: 12,566
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Muhammad Ali 1974 v Vitali Klitschko 2004

Agree with those who say it would take a 1960's rendition of Ali to beat Vitali ( and Wlad for that matter. ) Muhammad was still awesome in the 1970's and a head to head monster at that.. But Vitali is a different kind of animal from the ones that he faced during that era. Going through spurts of flicking the jab while taking periodic breaks to stop and hold, aren't going to cut it for Ali here... He'd have to use constant movement at full speed for the duration of the fight, and Ali from 1974 onward was no longer capable of this...
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London,England
Posts: 8,991
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Muhammad Ali 1974 v Vitali Klitschko 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
Agree with those who say it would take a 1960's rendition of Ali to beat Vitali ( and Wlad for that matter. ) Muhammad was still awesome in the 1970's and a head to head monster at that.. But Vitali is a different kind of animal from the ones that he faced during that era. Going through spurts of flicking the jab while taking periodic breaks to stop and hold, aren't going to cut it for Ali here... He'd have to use constant movement at full speed for the duration of the fight, and Ali from 1974 onward was no longer capable of this...



After 1974 is a different matter. Up to,and including,this year I'm confident that Muhammad would pull it out.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois USA
Posts: 12,566
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Muhammad Ali 1974 v Vitali Klitschko 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
After 1974 is a different matter. Up to,and including,this year I'm confident that Muhammad would pull it out.
And he very well might have..
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #8
tezel8764
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,941
vCash: 527
Default Re: Muhammad Ali 1974 v Vitali Klitschko 2004

Ali would punish Vitali's body.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
tezel8764 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #9
heavy_hands
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,126
vCash: 500
Default Re: Muhammad Ali 1974 v Vitali Klitschko 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezel8764 View Post
Ali would punish Vitali's body.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
bugner was around 64 or 64 1/2 , vitali was not only bigger,stronger but better fighter
heavy_hands is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #10
rex11y
newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 47
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Muhammad Ali 1974 v Vitali Klitschko 2004

Vitali is so overrated. Get real, an out of shape Lennox Lewis beat him in his prime. Ali before Manila would have easily found a way to outhustle and outpoint him. Ali was on a different level skillswise and the size factor would have worked against Klitschko in a 15 rounder where the extra weight would have had a negative effect. Styles make fights and big powerful one dimensional fighters like a Klitschko or Foreman would always have problems with elite boxers even a slowed down version in Ali.
rex11y is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #11
JLP 6
Fighter/Puncher
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: ....
Posts: 669
vCash: 500
Default Re: Muhammad Ali 1974 v Vitali Klitschko 2004

Ali from the Thrilla would not have to deal with a fighter that was coming straight at him like Frazier or even Foreman. He would be dealing with a fighter that would be trying to out box him. Vitali is considerably slower than Ali foot and hand. I haven't seen Vitali kick it into a higher gear.

I think Vitali makes the mistake of letting Ali find a rhythm. Once that happens, Ali will then find out his timing, and then once that happens, I think Ali is able to hit Vitali whenever he wants to. Vitali was a good fighter but not that good to give this extremely experienced fighter Ali a whole he hasn't seen or dealt with successfully.

If Ali gets in the mood I can see a KO.

'74 Ali UD 15

Last edited by JLP 6; 04-30-2013 at 01:04 PM.
JLP 6 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:45 PM   #12
heavy_hands
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,126
vCash: 500
Default Re: Muhammad Ali 1974 v Vitali Klitschko 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex11y View Post
Vitali is so overrated. Get real, an out of shape Lennox Lewis beat him in his prime. Ali before Manila would have easily found a way to outhustle and outpoint him. Ali was on a different level skillswise and the size factor would have worked against Klitschko in a 15 rounder where the extra weight would have had a negative effect. Styles make fights and big powerful one dimensional fighters like a Klitschko or Foreman would always have problems with elite boxers even a slowed down version in Ali.
vitali was nothing like foreman, ali maybe had the number of george, not the number of vitali, however i think that george beats vitali
heavy_hands is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:03 PM   #13
NoNeck
Pugilist Specialist
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,138
vCash: 500
Default Re: Muhammad Ali 1974 v Vitali Klitschko 2004

Vitali would win a decision. Beating a prime Vitali on points is a tough task. I'm not that high on 70s Ali to be honest. He struggled enough with Norton.
NoNeck is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #14
Wass1985
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 334
vCash: 500
Default Re: Muhammad Ali 1974 v Vitali Klitschko 2004

You guys make me laugh about the klitschkos, they are vastly overrated! Who have they exactly beat?? The lewis and Vital fight was a shocking performance by both the fighters. So bad, Ali of 74 would have run rings around them both on the same night
Wass1985 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #15
John Galt
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 414
vCash: 500
Default Re: Muhammad Ali 1974 v Vitali Klitschko 2004

edit

Last edited by John Galt; 03-28-2014 at 12:20 AM.
John Galt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013