Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551
Default Re: Hagler his true length?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
dam.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Or follow the instructions on the site you uploaded your image to if you uploaded an image.
dyna is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #107
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Haye is listed as 6,3", Khan is 5,10", Katsidis, 5'7", Mosley 5,8 1/2" and De La Hoya 5, 10".

These all look spot on here.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 04-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #108
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Now, look at them. Mosley looks about the same as De La Hoya, but he's more in the foreground. Hopkins at 6' 1" looks bang on. The difference of 3 inches between Haye, De La Hoya and Hopkins, looks more or less bang on in this photo when taking into account the different positions.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 04-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #109
Manu Vatuvei
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:

Haye is listed as 6,3", Khan is 5,10", Katsidis, 5'7", Mosley 5,8 1/2" and De La Hoya 5, 10".

These all look spot on here.
Not really. Mosley is barely taller than Katsidis there and the difference between Katsidis and Khan is closer to 1 inch than 3. Maybe Katsidis is a true 5'7" while Mosley is a shade under 5'8" like I always thought. Khan is now listed at 5'8 1/2" by most sources and that looks bang on too!

I have De La Hoya as 5'9" or a bit less, also looking pretty good here despite the 5'10 1/2" listings he used to get

The confusing thing about this photo is Haye looks giant- if you use my heights he looks 6'3"+, if you use yours he looks 6'4"+! Haye imo is between 6'1" and 6'2" when compared with other guys closer to his height. However, something looks out of wack with his proportions in his photo, as though he may be standing on slightly higher ground (or Stallone shoes!).

Another reason I find Haye at 6'3" impossible to believe is how big he is- how can such a well built 6'3" man weigh under 220lbs? It doesn't add up.
Manu Vatuvei is offline  Top
Old 04-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #110
Manu Vatuvei
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Also, Hopkins looks like 4 inches shorter than Haye (although the way Haye tilts his head and raises his eye level can throw you off a bit).

The difference between ODLH and Haye in that second photo is crazy, Haye looks 6'5" or 6'6", hard to explain.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #111
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu Vatuvei View Post
Not really. Mosley is barely taller than Katsidis there and the difference between Katsidis and Khan is closer to 1 inch than 3. Maybe Katsidis is a true 5'7" while Mosley is a shade under 5'8" like I always thought. Khan is now listed at 5'8 1/2" by most sources and that looks bang on too!

I have De La Hoya as 5'9" or a bit less, also looking pretty good here despite the 5'10 1/2" listings he used to get

The confusing thing about this photo is Haye looks giant- if you use my heights he looks 6'3"+, if you use yours he looks 6'4"+! Haye imo is between 6'1" and 6'2" when compared with other guys closer to his height. However, something looks out of wack with his proportions in his photo, as though he may be standing on slightly higher ground (or Stallone shoes!).

Another reason I find Haye at 6'3" impossible to believe is how big he is- how can such a well built 6'3" man weigh under 220lbs? It doesn't add up.
I think you assume everyone's height is bumped up for some reason and are cutting them short (no pun intended) in the height department.

Guys that I think are pretty much undisputable with their height (Leonard at 5'10, Hearns at 6'1, Duran at 5'7, De La Hoya 5'10, Mosley 5'10, etc) and it seems that you're assuming they're all like 2-3 inches shorter, and I'm not sure why.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 04-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #112
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Quote:
Ken Norton.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 04-30-2013, 09:09 PM   #113
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

A lot of these fighters are listed higher than they are, Haye looks about 6"1.5 maybe 6"2 but I think Less, Ali was 6"2 and looked taller, Vlad I was told is 6"5 but he looks taller because these guys all lie. Duran was always listed as 5"7 but who knows
Bummy Davis is online now  Top
Old 04-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #114
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Look at Katsidis' hair.....Taking that into account, he easily looks an inch and a half shorter than Mosley. Khan's hair is much flatter down into his head. De La Hoya and Khan look stop on an inch and half bigger than Mosley.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 04-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #115
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
A lot of these fighters are listed higher than they are, Haye looks about 6"1.5 maybe 6"2 but I think Less, Ali was 6"2 and looked taller, Vlad I was told is 6"5 but he looks taller because these guys all lie. Duran was always listed as 5"7 but who knows
Wlad is definitely taller than 6'5. Lewis is a solid 6'5 and Wlad is taller than he is.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #116
Manu Vatuvei
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Look at Katsidis' hair.....Taking that into account, he easily looks an inch and a half shorter than Mosley. Khan's hair is much flatter down into his head. De La Hoya and Khan look stop on an inch and half bigger than Mosley.
No that's just wrong. You're underestimating how much 1/2/3 inches difference is. The difference between Katsidis and Mosley is negligible in that photo.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #117
Manu Vatuvei
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
I think you assume everyone's height is bumped up for some reason and are cutting them short (no pun intended) in the height department.

Guys that I think are pretty much undisputable with their height (Leonard at 5'10, Hearns at 6'1, Duran at 5'7, De La Hoya 5'10, Mosley 5'10, etc) and it seems that you're assuming they're all like 2-3 inches shorter, and I'm not sure why.
Height is a quirky little interest (weird obsession?) of mine so I'm not just assuming anything. This stuff is mostly based on independent accounts and comparisons with non-boxers I've amassed over the years. As mentioned I post on celebheights which is a pretty comprehensive and well researched site for this stuff.

I thought it was really common knowledge that most athletes are overlisted as a matter of routine but I guess I forget sometimes that most people aren't as obsessed as me and hence it probably never occurs to them that this stuff is made up.

For example, how tall do you think Michael Jordan is? The dude ain't 6'6", Ima tell you right now.

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson still goes around telling the world he's 6'5" and people believe, when he isn't much above 6'2".

Stallone says he's 5'10" but is widely believed to be somewhere around 5'7"-5'9"- so how does he end up 4 inches taller than Shane Mosley, what on earth is he wearing on his feet?

In general when you compare boxers to other people (NON-BOXERS) of KNOWN (i.e. measured and not just made up or from their own mouth) height, you'll see that the boxers are 1-2 inches shorter than listed.

I could go ooooooon......
Old 05-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #118
Manu Vatuvei
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Wlad is definitely taller than 6'5. Lewis is a solid 6'5 and Wlad is taller than he is.
Lewis was listed 6'4.75" earlier in his career...it's a negligible difference but Lewis was one of those guys who people said looked taller than his listing later in his career....

If Lewis is between 6'4" and 6'5" then I don't think it's out of the question that Wlad is between 6'5" and 6'6" as he claims himself.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #119
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Height is a quirky little interest (weird obsession?) of mine so I'm not just assuming anything. This stuff is mostly based on independent accounts and comparisons with non-boxers I've amassed over the years. As mentioned I post on celebheights which is a pretty comprehensive and well researched site for this stuff.

I thought it was really common knowledge that most athletes are overlisted as a matter of routine but I guess I forget sometimes that most people aren't as obsessed as me and hence it probably never occurs to them that this stuff is made up.

For example, how tall do you think Michael Jordan is? The dude ain't 6'6", Ima tell you right now.

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson still goes around telling the world he's 6'5" and people believe, when he isn't much above 6'2".

Stallone says he's 5'10" but is widely believed to be somewhere around 5'7"-5'9"- so how does he end up 4 inches taller than Shane Mosley, what on earth is he wearing on his feet?

In general when you compare boxers to other people (NON-BOXERS) of KNOWN (i.e. measured and not just made up or from their own mouth) height, you'll see that the boxers are 1-2 inches shorter than listed.

I could go ooooooon......
I go based mostly on when I've met them, and none of them were wearing shoes with lifts or any of that.

Hagler, Hearns, and Leonard are all listed spot on, in my opinion. All 3 of them stood directly in front of me and I got the chance to shake both Marvin Hagler and Tommy Hearns's hands, Leonard stood not even 3 feet away from me. All of their heights seemed very accurate.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #120
Manu Vatuvei
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
I go based mostly on when I've met them, and none of them were wearing shoes with lifts or any of that.

Hagler, Hearns, and Leonard are all listed spot on, in my opinion. All 3 of them stood directly in front of me and I got the chance to shake both Marvin Hagler and Tommy Hearns's hands, Leonard stood not even 3 feet away from me. All of their heights seemed very accurate.
I respect that but it's not definitive. I do my best to estimate people's heights in person but it's not necessarily that easy.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum