Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2013, 11:02 PM   #856
The Spider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: ESB ATGs Muay Thai / KickBoxing fighters Thread

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
 Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2013, 06:19 AM   #857
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,153
vCash: 75
Default Re: ESB ATGs Muay Thai / KickBoxing fighters Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaca you View Post
I have been trying to find some info on Sanklai Sitkru-ott who later became mentor of Yodsanklai. I know he was a former lumpinee champion. does anyone have info on him?

Heres two videos of Sanklai against Samson Isan and Anantasak Panyuthapoom each were named Thailand sports writers fighter of the year 91 and 97 respectively:
BORKED

BORKED


Sanklai looks damn good.




Quote:
Originally Posted by boranbkk View Post
Hey Yaca, great clips, particularly the fight against Samson Issan. I’ve got it on a VCD in BKK and never get tired of watching it a total ATG fight with everything you want form a stylistically perfect match up. Sanklai the intelligent technical fighter and counter striker vs. Samson the stereotypical Thai stalker walking through barrage after barrage to knee, clinch, punch, whatever he can to destroy. This again was a rubber match with both of them having 5 wins each, this their 11th encounter.

Samson in round 4, Ooooheeeiiiiiiii! And Sanklai in round 5 Oooooooooohhhheeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiii!!!! Everything thrown with vicious intent, I love it.

That fight also features a contender for ATG clinch in an ATG round 4, one of the most epic examples of a perfect Thai clinch, the kind of thing foreign fighters have nightmares about and pray will never happen to them. Worth checking it out again: Samson rallies in the 4th, pressures Sanklai and engages in the clinch at 7.45 and in a masterful show of technique and strength Samson clamps hard, spinning and repeatedly throwing knees until Sanklai spits out his gumshield at about 8.50 cos he can’t breathe and then the ref splits them at about 8.53, tying things up for the final 5th round, ****in epic! You don’t see them like that anymore.

You can really see similarities to Yod in the second fight against Anantasak especially the way he mixes the kicks and punches. Funny since last weekend I’ve been rewatching the contender Asia on DVD and the way Sanklai was kicking kinda reminded of Yod’s fight against “the Preacher”.

This is probably going to be an anti-climax but I can’t give you much more than you know already, I don’t really have any behind the scenes info on him. You’re right Sanklai always comes up in ATG lists and conversations. He was a double Lumpini champ at both 115 and 118 (I think at the same time) which shows you his calibre. Safe to say Sanklai (from Korat in Issan) was one badass, but typical of the top fighters in the era of which there are so many as you know. The trouble with the 90s is that technologically it was behind the west and Thailand never really caught up until about 2004-5 so little internet pre 2001 and not many MT DVDS. What you have on You tube now is largely an incomplete picture of the golden age of MT in Thailand in the 90s and before form old videotape and some later VCDs. Contrary to popular belief MT videos and VCDs and now DVDs are not the easiest things to find and buy in Thailand as most Thais unless they are in the fight game or the nuttiest of fight fans are unlikely to rewatch fights from the past as they get such a constant diet of the fresh stuff and most watch in a gambling capacity anyway.

It’s unfortunate because guys that have tuned into MT post the explosion of MMA in the early 2000s are only seeing half of what went on, an incomplete picture. As I mentioned before Sor Thanikul is a classic example, a top gym with an huge promoter Mr. Klao who had a dominate effect on the sport for two decades barely exists on the internet. You have a few *Boonlai, Boonleng and Sombat clips, but these were later champs for the gym. Guys like Kitti Sor Thanikul a true legend seem to only have one clip, a crap example of him fighting kickboxing rules in the States. Guys like Phyap Noi, Komkiet (the elder), and Khunsuk Sorthanikul have nothing to name only a few. Films of these guys do exist, some of the older gyms have great video libraries of fights with fighters form their gyms. (The Sor Thaikul trophy room is ****ing amazing, full of belts trophies and photos just sitting in it makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up). Obviously TV stations still have their libraries but how do you access them? and it’s possible many of those stations haven’t updated their libraries to digital and probably won’t due to costs.It’s a shame but who knows one day people may realise the worth of documenting the era and remaster what must be an era packed with some of the greatest standup fights the world has ever seen.

so it seems the Sanklai vs Samson Isan fight is gone mysteriously,(seems the internet gods want to keep Sanklai vids a rarity) but now thanks to Boran we got a new fight of his to watch, Sanklai is a master technician always ready to counter it almost seems as if he knows what his opponent is gonna throw and is just waiting to set up a counter. Its no wonder Sanklai is revered as one of the all time greats:

BORKED



so this fight was just put up by[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] It a different meeting than the other fight between Samson and Sanklai that was taken down.

BORKED

Last edited by yaca you; 04-27-2013 at 11:32 AM.
yaca you is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #858
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 3,520
vCash: 500
Default Re: ESB ATGs Muay Thai / KickBoxing fighters Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaca you View Post
so it seems the Sanklai vs Samson Isan fight is gone mysteriously,(seems the internet gods want to keep Sanklai vids a rarity) but now thanks to Boran we got a new fight of his to watch, Sanklai is a master technician always ready to counter it almost seems as if he knows what his opponent is gonna throw and is just waiting to set up a counter. Its no wonder Sanklai is revered as one of the all time greats:

so this fight was just put up by[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] It a different meeting than the other fight between Samson and Sanklai that was taken down.
The missing Sanklai fight I know I have in my collection, so I'll try to find and re upload, although I've managed to find their 6th fight which I just uploaded. It's an odd fight, Samson controls it way too easy by closing down Sanklai's usually superb rear leg round kick and manages to pull him into the clinch way too easy. Sanklai seems unusually weak and uncompetative....somethings up. At this stage Sanklai had won four in the series & Samson only one, but the Samson win was an outragous dramatic 1st round spinning elbow KO, it's been cut into the break of this fight at 4.01, it's insane check it out!:

BORKED

The fight Rinkeby (he's uploaded some great stuff recently!) posted is a much better more competitive fight with both guys really going at it, round 4 is ****in intense with some amazing rear leg kicking from Sanklai, he seems to be able to throw it form anywhere no matter how close! (You can see where Yod gets it from). It's the 9th fight in the series with them being 4 each at this stage to Sanklai had lost the last 4 on the trot so had something to prove. In regard to these ATG warrior gods, I'll just say again what I said in my first post on these guys:

Quote:
ATG fights with everything you want form a stylistically perfect match up. Sanklai the intelligent technical fighter and counter striker vs. Samson the stereotypical Thai stalker walking through barrage after barrage to knee, clinch, punch, whatever he can to destroy. This again was a rubber match with both of them having 5 wins each, this their 11th encounter.
It's a shame we don't have all 11 of the fights to view.......

By the way Sanklai's nickname in his camp was "Moo" which means pig!
boranbkk is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #859
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,934
vCash: 1000
Default Re: ESB ATGs Muay Thai / KickBoxing fighters Thread

You watching the UFC tonight boran?
Stoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #860
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 3,520
vCash: 500
Default Re: ESB ATGs Muay Thai / KickBoxing fighters Thread

Another bit of bad news recently, an icon of the Golden Age has died. Diamond Dekker's nemesis Superlek Sorn Issan has passed away.

One of the giants of the era who fought and beat everyone with his unique and awesome mix of brutally vicious but very technical hellfire. I'll always remember him in those Thai national team Mita shorts putting the hurt on Dekkers. It was that bout and others spread around Europe on VDO tapes that captured the imagination of many a young westerner fighter & helped set up the awesome mystical legend of the fearsome Thai with the devastating lowkick in the 80s and 90s. He was part of that awesome team of Thais who were showcased to Europe and beyond to a world who knew little about "real " MT. His style epitomised how we viewed the Thais at the time, vicious stinging fast hands mixed with slashing elbows and brutal baseball bat low kicks. However, Superlek had that little bit more than that, his strikes not only had phenomenal sting, speed & power his amazing technical precision was just magical to watch. He was vicious to, the shots were always delivered with such menace and spite you couldn't help wincing!

Superlek Sorn Issan was a legendary ATG fighter who'll I'll never forget and always enjoy watching as he had a such big influence on me and many like me, a fighter who inspired so many with his vicious hands, brutal kicks and bags of heart. Thanks for all those supernatural spine tingling moments RIP Champ.

BORKED

Last edited by boranbkk; 04-27-2013 at 08:42 PM.
boranbkk is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #861
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 3,520
vCash: 500
Default Re: ESB ATGs Muay Thai / KickBoxing fighters Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
You watching the UFC tonight boran?
Yep, will it be a good un?
boranbkk is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #862
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,934
vCash: 1000
Default Re: ESB ATGs Muay Thai / KickBoxing fighters Thread

On paper, bit predictable for me, so hopefully I will reverse jinx it

Miller v Healy & Bisping v Belcher could be great
Stoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #863
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 3,520
vCash: 500
Default Re: ESB ATGs Muay Thai / KickBoxing fighters Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
On paper, bit predictable for me, so hopefully I will reverse jinx it

Miller v Healy & Bisping v Belcher could be great
Let's hope so. Watching Murray vs Martinez first....
boranbkk is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #864
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,934
vCash: 1000
Default Re: ESB ATGs Muay Thai / KickBoxing fighters Thread

Forgot Sergio was on, let me know if ts worth catching up on
Stoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #865
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 3,520
vCash: 500
Default Re: ESB ATGs Muay Thai / KickBoxing fighters Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Forgot Sergio was on, let me know if ts worth catching up on
Watching it now, insane atmosphere, charged........
boranbkk is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #866
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,934
vCash: 1000
Default Re: ESB ATGs Muay Thai / KickBoxing fighters Thread

No spoilers please
Stoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #867
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,153
vCash: 75
Default Re: ESB ATGs Muay Thai / KickBoxing fighters Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by boranbkk View Post
The missing Sanklai fight I know I have in my collection, so I'll try to find and re upload, although I've managed to find their 6th fight which I just uploaded. It's an odd fight, Samson controls it way too easy by closing down Sanklai's usually superb rear leg round kick and manages to pull him into the clinch way too easy. Sanklai seems unusually weak and uncompetative....somethings up. At this stage Sanklai had won four in the series & Samson only one, but the Samson win was an outragous dramatic 1st round spinning elbow KO, it's been cut into the break of this fight at 4.01, it's insane check it out!:

BORKED

The fight Rinkeby (he's uploaded some great stuff recently!) posted is a much better more competitive fight with both guys really going at it, round 4 is ****in intense with some amazing rear leg kicking from Sanklai, he seems to be able to throw it form anywhere no matter how close! (You can see where Yod gets it from). It's the 9th fight in the series with them being 4 each at this stage to Sanklai had lost the last 4 on the trot so had something to prove. In regard to these ATG warrior gods, I'll just say again what I said in my first post on these guys:



It's a shame we don't have all 11 of the fights to view.......

By the way Sanklai's nickname in his camp was "Moo" which means pig!
That was a intense fight! They showed that incredible spining elbow ko land just after they replayed the close but failed attempt at on Sanklai set up by the same circumstances, Sanklai was too smart to get hit by that again. Samson Issan is the definition of a swarmer. He is coming at you like the terminator, difficult for a fighter like sanklai looking for the counter to find a good opening, he periodically does connect but is still overwhelmed by Samson. Samson is certainly a destroyer in the clinch and at a distance he is always looking to do damage. Certainly a fighter with a lot of heart, which makes him so much fun to watch. The more I see Samson the more I'm impressed by him. Great matchup!

And I noticed you uploaded a few vids of Samson Issan, got to get to those...





Quote:
Originally Posted by boranbkk View Post
Another bit of bad news recently, an icon of the Golden Age has died. Diamond Dekker's nemesis Superlek Sorn Issan has passed away.

One of the giants of the era who fought and beat everyone with his unique and awesome mix of brutally vicious but very technical hellfire. I'll always remember him in those Thai national team Mita shorts putting the hurt on Dekkers. It was that bout and others spread around Europe on VDO tapes that captured the imagination of many a young westerner fighter & helped set up the awesome mystical legend of the fearsome Thai with the devastating lowkick in the 80s and 90s. He was part of that awesome team of Thais who were showcased to Europe and beyond to a world who knew little about "real " MT. His style epitomised how we viewed the Thais at the time, vicious stinging fast hands mixed with slashing elbows and brutal baseball bat low kicks. However, Superlek had that little bit more than that, his strikes not only had phenomenal sting, speed & power his amazing technical precision was just magical to watch. He was vicious to, the shots were always delivered with such menace and spite you couldn't help wincing!

Superlek Sorn Issan was a legendary ATG fighter who'll I'll never forget and always enjoy watching as he had a such big influence on me and many like me, a fighter who inspired so many with his vicious hands, brutal kicks and bags of heart. Thanks for all those supernatural spine tingling moments RIP Champ.

BORKED
Superlek was a fav of mine after seeing his war vs bovy some years ago. He had a very fan-friendly style that fight fans that were new to veiwing muaythai could enjoy.

RIP
yaca you is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:13 AM   #868
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,153
vCash: 75
Default Re: ESB ATGs Muay Thai / KickBoxing fighters Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by boranbkk View Post
By the way Sanklai's nickname in his camp was "Moo" which means pig!
Thats an odd nickname, cant see how that would fit him.
yaca you is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:14 AM   #869
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,875
vCash: 75
Default Re: ESB ATGs Muay Thai / KickBoxing fighters Thread

Delete
Flea Man is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:11 AM   #870
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 3,520
vCash: 500
Default Re: ESB ATGs Muay Thai / KickBoxing fighters Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaca you View Post
That was a intense fight! They showed that incredible spining elbow ko land just after they replayed the close but failed attempt at on Sanklai set up by the same circumstances, Sanklai was too smart to get hit by that again. Samson Issan is the definition of a swarmer. He is coming at you like the terminator, difficult for a fighter like sanklai looking for the counter to find a good opening, he periodically does connect but is still overwhelmed by Samson. Samson is certainly a destroyer in the clinch and at a distance he is always looking to do damage. Certainly a fighter with a lot of heart, which makes him so much fun to watch. The more I see Samson the more I'm impressed by him. Great matchup!

And I noticed you uploaded a few vids of Samson Issan, got to get to those...

Superlek was a fav of mine after seeing his war vs bovy some years ago. He had a very fan-friendly style that fight fans that were new to veiwing muaythai could enjoy.

RIP
Someone really needs to make a MT spinning elbow HL!

I agree Samsons a beast who could take untold insane amounts of punishment, typical of guys who swarm, spoil and wanna slam those straight knees into you, utterly relentless, but he wasn't at all one dimensional as some of the tough spoiler types can be. Samson Bovy anyone.....

Samson was another one of those well known names of the era that non fight fans usually knew.

Sanklai is a technical master, but I don't think he had the sting in his fists to punish a swarming pressure fighter looking for the knee. If he has even just the tiniest bit of space he fairs well and defends the clinch pretty well to, but if he had better hands Samson probably would have found it much harder & even been KO'd a few times. Remember that Keansak vs Lammanon bout I always refer to when a fimueu guy takes on a brutal relentless type? Keansak's hands were key, he made the toughest MT blueprint look easy easy.

I've got 4 more Samson bouts waiting to upload...

Moo wasn't his fight name, just his nickname. He could have had it since child hood as Thais are usually born with a nickname and ver often its an animal. My wife's nickname is Nok that means bird and my step sons name is Kai that means chicken. No real rhyme or reason to Thai nicknames. The structure of their names is very different their first name tends to be only used in formal situations, nicknames kinda act as first names and its not uncommon for a Thai to have different nick names for different social circles.

By the way if you find that Bovy vs Superlek fight post it....it's got epic war written all over it.

Flea it's unusual for you to have a change of heart!
boranbkk is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013