Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
tezel8764
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 527
Default Jermaine Taylor

Why did he fall off so badly after Hopkins II?
tezel8764 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #2
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010
Default Re: Jermaine Taylor

I compare Jermaine to Khan. They both have great speed and reflexes yet no fight plan. So they can fight on autopilot and make it through for the most part, but then get caught and knocked out like Khan with Garcia and Pavlik. If they only learned mental discipline. Khan being stopped by Garcia was not as devastating as Taylor by Pavlik since Taylor was worn out and took more of a beating than Khan against Garcia, but still there are similarities which I always saw. Now compare the Khan and Taylor speed yet no fight plan to guys like James Toney who used defense to win fights, or Hopkins who uses tactics to win fights.

I do think Bernard is a little overrated since he fought Taylor since he handpicks and loses to the good fighters, but beats the mediocre, but his style is effective in preventing him from getting knocked out, which is why he can keep coming back over and over.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2013, 11:57 PM   #3
Leftsmash
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 400

Was Jermain stamina really the main problem though?

Jermain falling into that corner at the end of Pavlik 1 was one of the most sadest moments in boxing for me.
Leftsmash is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2013, 12:06 AM   #4
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
vCash: 1139

Mag gave a good account imo. He wasn't a smart fighter, relying on athleticism (sorry Seamus) and robotic, textbook technique. got him the title and 2 wins against hopkins on my scorecard but fought every second of every round as if he had to impress. he didn't fight to win rounds; he panicked if winning didn't come easy. He even seemed perplexed and frustrated against ouma, in a fight he dominated.

talent wise, he was top notch but never learned to be flexible, relying on a game plan as needed, pacing himself and a reliable inside game
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #5
SouthpawJab
On his way up!! 4-0!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 462

Very talented fighter, but never had the gas tank to make it consistently at the elite level.

Beat Hopkins because Hopkins didn't throw any punches.
SouthpawJab is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2013, 12:13 AM   #6
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftsmash View Post
Was Jermain stamina really the main problem though?

Jermain falling into that corner at the end of Pavlik 1 was one of the most sadest moments in boxing for me.
I think prior to that fight he never had to plan to get tired or not. He was young and dominated, so he didn't have much resistance. Then without planning he got tired and ran out of gas and Pavlik knocked him out. And after that he has realized he needs a fight plan. Just like Khan, there is no way to change a fighter.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2013, 12:14 AM   #7
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorodz View Post
Mag gave a good account imo. He wasn't a smart fighter, relying on athleticism (sorry Seamus) and robotic, textbook technique. got him the title and 2 wins against hopkins on my scorecard but fought every second of every round as if he had to impress. he didn't fight to win rounds; he panicked if winning didn't come easy. He even seemed perplexed and frustrated against ouma, in a fight he dominated.

talent wise, he was top notch but never learned to be flexible, relying on a game plan as needed, pacing himself and a reliable inside game
I am not sure why Jermaine nor Khan ever wanted to have a gameplan. And neither guy seems to learn from that. I know that my favorite guy Hearns was knocked out a few times and he held more and learned from it and became a different fighter. Khan and Taylor did not.
MAG1965 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum