East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Tommy Morrison vs. Muhammad Ali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
Hell, I didn't say he would!

Me from earlier in the thread:

I don't think he has a chance.
I know you did n't say he would. Was just thinking on cyberpaper !
Stevie G is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2010, 01:57 PM   #32
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Disgusting mismatch. I don't even know why people even bother wasting time making these threads when the answer is so painfully obvious to anyone with a pulse. Ali WISHES he possessed the heart, will, and chin to get up from a left hook like Razor Ruddock did. This would be over the moment The Duke landed his sheeet. The Greatest? Only second to The Duke.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2010, 02:01 PM   #33
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Disgusting mismatch. I don't even know why people even bother wasting time making these threads when the answer is so painfully obvious to anyone with a pulse. Ali WISHES he possessed the heart, will, and chin to get up from a left hook like Razor Ruddock did. This would be over the moment The Duke landed his sheeet. The Greatest? Only second to The Duke.
...When he beat Balboa, it was for real. Balboa is a poor man's Frazier, and if you look at the Mason Dixon fight, you end up realizing that when The Duke fought Balboa, he was probably in his prime.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2010, 02:14 PM   #34
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
...When he beat Balboa, it was for real. Balboa is a poor man's Frazier, and if you look at the Mason Dixon fight, you end up realizing that when The Duke fought Balboa, he was probably in his prime.
The Duke handled The Stallion when he was at the peak of his powers in the infamous street fight before all of the crowd got involved. As you say, Dixon was an opportunist, he came around at the right time to take advantage of Duke's left overs. It essentially amounts to nothing.

Prime for prime, Morrison steamrolls this clown.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Addie is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2010, 02:22 PM   #35
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Ali TKO, although Morrison may have been a star in that era, I still think Tommy was shaky and had a middleweight chin
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2010, 02:41 PM   #36
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
Ali TKO, although Morrison may have been a star in that era, I still think Tommy was shaky and had a middleweight chin
Bentt hit like Foreman, to be fair.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #37
young griffo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by glover View Post
I think it's pretty obvious that Tommy would knock Ali out. Ali couldn't crack an egg, Tommy is one of the hardest punchers ever. Tommy knew how to box, Ali knew how to run and clinch. I don't think Ali could have beaten any of the top modern boxers really.
Welcome to Classic.

Your knowledge and input is a real bonus for this forum
young griffo is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #38
salty trunks
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

I still think Ali stops Morrison late. BTW, I think Morrison is not doing so well. He really turned into a strange individual. I think he started doing a lot of heavy HGH and roids again with his HIV and it really put him in a bad spot.
salty trunks is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #39
heavy_hands
Contender
ESB Senior Member

i like tommy against a green version of clay 1961-62, ali 64 would make him look stupid and would stop tommy, his face would have been full of cuts
heavy_hands is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #40
Shawn Kemp
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Who said Shavers hit harder than Morrison? You? The media who was never hit by either? You mean Shavers is a great puncher because he knocked out alot of tomato cans? Morrison is far better at everything he did compared to the highly overrated Shavers.

Last edited by Shawn Kemp; 05-15-2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: typo
Shawn Kemp is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #41
WABCBoxer
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Imo Clay still had fight in him right up into '76. Morrison (like David Tua) had such great potential if only he'd had the right trainer. Imagine a version of Morrison that was trained by Kevin Rooney.

To answer the OP though, i think Morrison has a shot at a post 76 Clay, but any other version beats Morrison.
WABCBoxer is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2013, 01:40 AM   #42
young griffo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'd bet Ali would dominate Ross Puritty, Joe Hipp, Michael Bentt and the washed up versions of Razor Ruddock and Carl Williams that Tommy went life and death with and in Bentts case was blown out by.

Morrison could punch and carried his power late but he had a shit defense wasn't clever in (or out) of the ring, was one dimensional, had woeful stamina and had a glassish jaw.

The fact that he struggled against those second tier guys and was destroyed by Mercer and Lewis (the only first grade guys he fought, and I don't count fat George as elite) show about where he was as a fighter. A good, dangerous pro but way short of the best guys.

Ali up until 1977 was an elite fighter (when in shape) and would beat someone like Morrison comfortably and probably by stoppage.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:33 AM   #43
young griffo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by glover View Post
Ross Puritty is a particularly bad example to use there mate. The fact that he was 2nd rate and still managed to win a lucky KO again Wladimir friggin Klitschko of all people, possibly the GOAT and the most defensive champ ever, serves to illustrate my point more than ever, geez lol, with Ali's complete lack of any defense and reflexes and much lighter body, would you not expect Ross's chances to be about a hundred times higher?
Puritty beats Ali?

Ali had no reflexes?

If you've based your opinion on Ali after seeing just the Holmes and Berbick bouts then I'd agree but all his fights are out there on youtube to see so if you're really trying to sell that Ali was a bum then you're clearly either an agenda poster, hopelessly biased, know literally nothing about boxing or just on the wind up.

If you're on the wind up then I hate to beak it to you but it's been done before better and is dated and old hat.

Christ Herbie Hide was smaller than Ali and he punched Morrison conqueror Michael Bentt into retirement. Ali's old sparring partner schooled Ray Mercer in his 40's after Ray destroyed Tommy. Ali himself beat Foreman easier than Morrison could a much lesser version of George even KOing him which the mighty Tommy didn't come close to doing.

Anyone with two working eyes can see Ali was greater than Tommy ****ing Morrison and would beat his arse any time up until 1977 unless they're a window licking goose.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:57 AM   #44
The Spider

vCash:

This was one of the hardest polls ever for me.

That is hard to decide whether Ali would KO Morrison or just plain school him for the duration.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:28 PM   #45
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Ali by KO unless we are talking near the Leon Spinks fights.
MAG1965 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum