Ali by decision 20 15.75%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #61
Colonel Sanders
NSB defector
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Tommy Morrison vs. Muhammad Ali

I'm not a fan of Ali towards the end of his career. He was a disgrace at that point next to his old form, and he was barely winning his fights when he didn't receive blatant gifts. I give the best version of Morrison a good chance to beat the Ali of the Coopman fight.
Colonel Sanders is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #62
John Galt
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

edit

Last edited by John Galt; 03-28-2014 at 12:35 AM.
John Galt is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #63
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by glover View Post
Even the hardest chin version of Ali is not going to survive that punch, he makes shavers look weak by comparison, care to differ? Shavers KO performance is not that great when you consider real heavyweights like Tommy's era and today. I believe Tommy would knock any version of Ali almost any day! His boxing skills are way underrated! Before he took that 15 punch barrage he was beating Mercer! And Bentt caught him simple as that. I think Tommy could have won had he rematched. He isn't the most stellar champ but he has all the tools to beat punch bag Ali! lol I could make a lot of money if they could fight today by the look of it. But something tells me if Ali were in Tommy's era we wouldn't be hearing too much about him Go Tommy! Rumble young roid head, rumble! lol

A far more likely scenario is that we would n't have heard so much about TOMMY had HE been in ALI'S era !!
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #64
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
The thing that stands out in that Ali video posted by Young Griffo [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] is that Ali's 60s opponents were much smaller and slower than Ali. Morrison would be something Ali had never seen before, a 225 pound, fast, hard puncher. Not saying Ali couldn't beat Morrison, but I would say that Ali never did beat anybody with the combination of size and speed Morrison had. If 60s Ali struggled with Mildenberger and Chuvalo...
Some early versions of Ali certainly could be KOd hard by Tommy... but anybody could be KO'd HARD by Tommy I bet.

While Mercer was defending himself Tommy threw an uppercut that propelled Mercers head above his guard and directly got caught with a big left hook, that's some quality combinations.
And you can say about all kind of good things about Ali's chin, but it isn't Mercers. (Mercer also mentioned he had to fart from the bodyshots)

Prime Ali probably struggles with Tommy before beating him.
But it will be dangerous.

Late versions of Ali would probably get beaten hard by Tommy as you can't rely on just your toughness unless you're Ray Mercer.
dyna is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #65
heavy_hands
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmjoe View Post
any version of ali beats any version of morrison.
a prime tommy would GIVE A BEATING TO THE 78-80 VERSION OF ALI and he would beat 77 ali by decision. So no, any version of ali would not beat any version of tommy, of course a good version of ali would play with him,
heavy_hands is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #66
Abdullah
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Ali stops him. Come on, guys! This is insane!
Abdullah is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #67
BlackCloud
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Glover, just out of curiosity, exactly how old are you ?
BlackCloud is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #68
nikrj
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Morrison was a Overhyped media guy...had some talento, that s all...
Ali by KO.
nikrj is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #69
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

How is this thread even possible
BUMPY KNUCKLES is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #70
Anubis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by young griffo View Post
Welcome to Classic.

Your knowledge and input is a real boner for this forum
Fixed [unlike glover's parents].
Anubis is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2013, 08:54 PM   #71
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMPY KNUCKLES View Post
How is this thread even possible
The question is a post-Manilla version of Ali.

Somewhere after Manilla and before the Bahamas (the Berbick fight), Ali became a fighter that Morrison could have beaten.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #72
sugarkills
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Funny matchup. I think Ali rips Tommy's face apart with rapier jabs and straight rights. The only real debate is if Ali would choose to put him away early or late.
sugarkills is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #73
Anubis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
The question is a post-Manilla version of Ali.

Somewhere after Manilla and before the Bahamas (the Berbick fight), Ali became a fighter that Morrison could have beaten.
I think the Ali of Shavers and Norton III beats him, as Tommy gets tired [a very serious problem for him until Foreman's advice to relax after Mercer]. Not sure about the misfiring Ali of Leon Spinks I & II, but Leon had stamina and hustle Morrison never had to apply in unseating Ali. [As for the 230 pound Ali of the Young debacle, that version of Muhammad would have only beaten Evangelista among his subsequent eight opponents.]

Tommy does not knock out any version of Ali that is not impaired by a Thyrolar overdose, not if Shavers couldn't do it. Like Berbick, he'd have to settle for a decision win in the Bahamas. Work rate, not power, was the way to beat Ali at that late stage. Not convinced Morrison could have done it over 15 aside from when Young got his shot.

Ali by knockout? Not after Dunn, but that one episode was a post Manila performance, and I don't think Tommy would have had an answer for that right of Ali's. He could be stunned and dropped pretty abruptly, and he wouldn't be able to get through 15 rounds getting struck like that repeatedly.
Anubis is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #74
atr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
Ali could never have defeated Morrison OR Mercer, come on guys, be serious. It's gonna take more than dancing around the floor and a few tippy tap shots here and there to beat either of those guys, a lot bloody more!

Tommy 48-3-1 vs Muhammad (real HW record, whole career) 28-4 (deleting the cruiser loss to Spinks as well to be fair).

Doesn't look good for Ali!
wow - I used to be a huge ali fan - but your recent posts have convinced me ali was a fake and a fraud.
atr is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #75
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
Even George Foreman at his prime when Ali fought him, weighed less than Tommy. And although I take Foreman to be the stronger still, Tommy I say definitely had the harder punch. Morrison probably had among the hardest cracks of all time. They sounded different to other heavyweights, like Tyson their punches were thrown from the floor with all their torque and weight. Foreman was a prolific arm puncher. Tommy was also faster and had real boxing skills! And this is Ali's best win!

Prime Ali never fought anybody who would be even remotely competitive with Tommy! Morrison was quick and powerful, Ali may have been fast but the other reason he won was because even as the CW-212lb HW he was in the 60's, he still outweighed almost all of them and the ones he didn't he outreached anyway!

Ali is no bum of course, he is a great boxer but he isn't beating Morrison! He never once beat someone with the combination of power, skills and speed as Tommy!

On the other side of the coin,Morrison never fought anyone with half of Ali's skills,smarts and toughness.
Stevie G is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum