Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 05-27-2013, 07:25 AM   #1
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Can we stop all this 'Elite K1 striker' BS now?

Rogan kept banging on about Hunt being an 'Elite K1 striker' Truth is Hunt is a tough banger. He wings in wide and wild hooks and was throwing kicks that left him off balance like a novice. Same with Overeem. All the talk is of his elite striking game but Cain landed a short, accurate shot right on Bigfoots jaw in a minute and Overeem couldn't in 2 rounds and we all know what happened in the 3rd.

Reality is a good career in K1 only prepares you for MMA slightly more than a good career in boxing would. It is a factor but way overplayed imo.
EL BULLY is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: Can we stop all this 'Elite K1 striker' BS now?

Ok, sorry
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
PivotPunch
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Hunt has pretty good boxing technically it isn't worse than JDS. JDS is just younger taller and much faster. Either guy could have got ko'd at any moment in the fight and Hunt isn't even in his prime (speaking of standup only). JDS is by far the best striker at HW in mma and would clearly lose to a couple of kickboxers. K-1 is not overrated at least by mma fans most are bashing it saying how bad they are despite most mma fighters having horrible standup kickboxing fans might really overrate it but most mma fans DKSA(K)B
PivotPunch is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
SugarShane_24
ESB good-looking member
ESB Addict

I think it's more of JDS being a better striker than most people gave him credit for.
SugarShane_24 is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
HeGlassedMe
ufc is the new pet rock
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 109

No.
HeGlassedMe is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL BULLY View Post
Rogan kept banging on about Hunt being an 'Elite K1 striker' Truth is Hunt is a tough banger. He wings in wide and wild hooks and was throwing kicks that left him off balance like a novice. Same with Overeem. All the talk is of his elite striking game but Cain landed a short, accurate shot right on Bigfoots jaw in a minute and Overeem couldn't in 2 rounds and we all know what happened in the 3rd.

Reality is a good career in K1 only prepares you for MMA slightly more than a good career in boxing would. It is a factor but way overplayed imo.
This is a debate in itself, specially with the resurgence of the "boxer-grappler" in todays MMA.

Overeem has never had good boxing, his leg kicks are pretty brutal but he doesn't have the cardio to push out 25 hard well placed leg kicks per round.
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
Cael
Claudia Cardinale
ESB Addict

vCash: 811

They both looked sloopy as shit, but Hunt looked by far the worst.

If JDS is considered to have top level of striking, then the level of boxing in MMA is really rubbish.
Just really, really poor.
Cael is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cael View Post
They both looked sloopy as shit, but Hunt looked by far the worst.

If JDS is considered to have top level of striking, then the level of boxing in MMA is really rubbish.
Just really, really poor.
Do us all a favour and **** off!

Striking, not boxing, is what you do in MMA, boxing for MMA is term which holds technical understanding of developing a fighting style effective in MMA, you cannot lounge around on somebody's chest dipping and rolling in MMA or you will get powered to the ground.

Nor can you effectively block shots with gloves.

The package comes first, boxing for MMA is not conventional pro boxing.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
RSBonos
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinfella View Post
Do us all a favour and **** off!

Striking, not boxing, is what you do in MMA, boxing for MMA is term which holds technical understanding of developing a fighting style effective in MMA, you cannot lounge around on somebody's chest dipping and rolling in MMA or you will get powered to the ground.

Nor can you effectively block shots with gloves.

The package comes first, boxing for MMA is not conventional pro boxing.
Is that why JDS throws a right like he is hurling a baseball into the ground? Did he perfect this technique specifically for MMA? He is after all one of the best boxers in the sport.

As for Hunt, he was always a brawler with insane toughness, his rudimentary skills are still good enough to become a top 5 MMA HW way past his prime and with very little grappling.
RSBonos is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2013, 02:52 PM   #10
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBonos View Post
Is that why JDS throws a right like he is hurling a baseball into the ground? Did he perfect this technique specifically for MMA? He is after all one of the best boxers in the sport.

As for Hunt, he was always a brawler with insane toughness, his rudimentary skills are still good enough to become a top 5 MMA HW way past his prime and with very little grappling.
Im sorry I missed your point Sir, you posed a question based on what exactly? Ive read my previous post twice and where you derived this from it:

Is that why JDS throws a right like he is hurling a baseball into the ground?

Im not quite sure

Thank you for your insight to the sport please don't insult me again

Dos Santos typically over extends his shots, he does this to fully utilise his long reach without the threat of a take down, or sorry reducing the threat of a TD rather.

To understand what makes boxing effective in MMA you have to consider wrestling just as much as the technical application of boxing maybe more. Simple things in boxing like turing your fist over and stepping into a jab, jabbing to the body, closing space with feints, stepping in, cutting off the ring, you cannot do as a pro boxer would do because you will be taken down.

Boxing fans don't get the differences, they just see hands only and do not stop to think about Roman Greco, JJ, or conventional free style wrestling, and rightly so why should they, they are boxing fans right?

Well dont bastard comment on things you dont know about, does this apply to you?
Old 05-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #11
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP

vCash: 800

Hunt looked really old. And yes I do wonder how this guy beat some top guys in K1.

I mean Overeem winning in K1 is mind boggling to me so I guess anything goes.
chimba is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #12
RSBonos
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The point is JDS looks poor because his striking is poor and he is considered a top boxer under MMA rules. It has nothing to do with perfecting it for grappling. I didn't even insult you but I can see that you are very emotional, so please don't cry, sir.

I love K-1 and all its history. But really, it was also way overrated. Small talent pool that put up very exciting fights, these guys were warriors, but when the ATG gets beat by Sapp, that says a lot.
RSBonos is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #13
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
The point is JDS looks poor because his striking is poor and he is considered a top boxer under MMA rules. It has nothing to do with ad******g it for grappling. I didn't even insult you but I can see that you are very emotional, so please don't cry, sir.
He is considered to be a top class striker in mixed martial arts, stand corrected
Old 05-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #14
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
The point is JDS looks poor because his striking is poor and he is considered a top boxer under MMA rules. It has nothing to do with perfecting it for grappling. I didn't even insult you but I can see that you are very emotional, so please don't cry, sir.

I love K-1 and all its history. But really, it was also way overrated. Small talent pool that put up very exciting fights, these guys were warriors, but when the ATG gets beat by Sapp, that says a lot.
Oh Christ did you really say that ????
Old 05-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #15
weegriffin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 3275

I don't really follow MMA much but watched the JDS vs Hunt fight, how big of a difference does the Octagon make? Seems bigger than most rings and not as easy cut it off.
weegriffin is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum