Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 06-15-2013, 12:52 AM   #1
deadhead
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 550
Default any ex smokers?

I used to smoke about 8 months ago for almost a year, i smoked only sometimes, pot and cigarettes and did a load of bad drugs. I don't smoke anymore or do drugs but i am around friends that do smoke cigarettes sometimes.

To anyone that smoked, how long did it take you to feel normal and get your endurance back, no matter what i do i always gas at the end of the second round and i'm fighting off the backfoot the 3rd round. I really hope i didn't do permanent damage to my lungs although that is probably inevitable.
deadhead is offline  Top
Old 06-15-2013, 01:18 AM   #2
jonbonez152
EASTSIDEBOXING KING
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: any ex smokers?

It all varies I would say about 6 months if you concentrate a lot on conditioning. Lots of sprints.
jonbonez152 is offline  Top
Old 06-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
Mrtibbs
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1615

I smoked hard from the age of 13 all the way through to 24.....Cigarettes and green. And I suffer from asthma.

I started training at about 24 when someone asked me to run a 10k road race.

In 6 months I went from being able to run for 20 minutes until I reached complete exhaustion, to being able to run for an hour (At this stage it was still very hard to run for an hour).

The next from months 6 - 12 I went from running a 10k - to a full cross country marathon with a combination of football (soccer), 1 hour runs, boxing training, and weights 5 times a week.

I built it up slowly, and am now 30.... Running for an hour is verging on easy, and I am in the shape of my life and still train on a regular basis. I would say my lungs are fully recovered, and I feel great.

I honestly think if you train hard you are looking at about a year for a full recovery, but its also is going to depend on what you eat, as well as how you train.

I would recommend lots of road work to get your lungs working again. Like the above guy said I would recommend a combination of sprints, and long distance runs along with the boxing training.

But you need to keep it up, and start eating healthy say 80% of the time minimum.

Trust me though, you can get there. My boxing fitness is now really good considering where I came from.
Mrtibbs is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead View Post
I used to smoke about 8 months ago for almost a year, i smoked only sometimes, pot and cigarettes and did a load of bad drugs. I don't smoke anymore or do drugs but i am around friends that do smoke cigarettes sometimes.

To anyone that smoked, how long did it take you to feel normal and get your endurance back, no matter what i do i always gas at the end of the second round and i'm fighting off the backfoot the 3rd round. I really hope i didn't do permanent damage to my lungs although that is probably inevitable.
It's all down to you, it makes no difference what anybody else has done. Stop making excuses. Push yourself and reach your goal.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 06-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
Crivasevo87

Thumbs up Re: any ex smokers?

Quote:

Hey Buddy how is it going. I used to smoke a lot when I was younger. Recently about three months ago I used to smoke hookah. I box as well.
I quit smoking hookah three months ago and it took me maybe two months of hard training to finally get up to 8 three minute intense sparring. I recently fought last weekend. I am a open fighter, and did very well. I did not gas at all. My previous fights I had the same problem you mentioned. Second round I gassed and third round I was flat footed. All I can say is do not smoke, train very hard and get that road work in. if you can do 8 intense rounds in the gym and then a full work out after. You should be able to make it through three rounds. Just remember a fight is more intense then sparring mentally you let off a little in sparring where in a fight if you are not discipline you will waste more energy in a fight.
Crivasevo87 is offline  Top
Old 06-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
Crivasevo87

Thumbs up Re: any ex smokers?

Quote:

Oh and also make sure your not holding your breathe when you are punching. Breathe with every punch and when you are in clinches or out of range take in deep long breaths.
Crivasevo87 is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2013, 06:55 AM   #7
TERRYTIBBS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

im an ex smoker drinker weed smoker cocaine and ecstasy taker and i can now do a 2 mile in 11:24 so just keep going my friend
TERRYTIBBS is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 32000

I was starting back up at the boxing gym (after being out for several months) while quitting cold turkey.

That was a rough several weeks. Not the cessation, that was easy (2nd time in my life I've done it) - but finding the wind to put in a proper workout even long after beginning to clear out my lungs.

Not holding your breath is excellent advice. Your body will instinctively compel you toward gasping & retention. Ignore it. Breathe normally, regularly and evenly.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Old 07-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #9
TERRYTIBBS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

how are you getting on?
Old 07-03-2013, 11:21 PM   #10
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I smoked for maybe 12 years, and did a lot of bad drugs. Although I quit long before I started boxing - I can confidently say that there is no noticeable effects from prior usage and I have above average conditioning. Your cells eventually regenerate, and your lungs eventually return to a better state.

To be honest, I think only 1 year of smoking - and 8 months ago is a drop in the bucket and shouldn't be holding you back much now. Although I might be a little presumptious to say that. TBH - I would examine what your overall fitness pr conditioning routine is like and see where you could be falling short.

I don't mean to make negative assumptions, I wish you all the best and hope you can reach your goals.
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2013, 11:39 PM   #11
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 32000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERRYTIBBS View Post
how are you getting on?
By now, fine. Been free since the holidays.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Old 07-05-2013, 06:53 AM   #12
TERRYTIBBS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

well done bro

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing