Old 07-17-2007, 04:21 AM   #76
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who is the most underated fighter on this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
What makes you think he gets overwhelmed? Really. I don't see that at all. Whitaker was always cool with any type of fighter, and it's not like Duran was pure 100% pressure swarmer. He was a boxer as well, and he couldn't outbox Pea. He would rely on his versatility, as Pea was great against pressure fighters and very hard to outbox. Duran would have to mix it up and win a decision over Pea. A win for Duran would likely come as a result of a KD or two, as Whitaker was not exactly un-knockdownable. Otherwise, I see Whitaker taking the decision close.
Given Duran's workrate (which will match Whitaker's) and power (which surpasses Whitaker's), Whitaker will face a hard time doing enough to get a points win.

I think the disparity in power (in Duran's favour) will override the disparity in defense (in Whitaker's favour).

Given Whitaker's style of fighting I think he will have a hard time keeping Duran off him for the same reasons Mantequilla mentioned.

I don't think you can bring up any of Whitaker's opponents and say they did what Duran would do so as to give us an insight into how Whitaker would fair with Duran.

Azumah Nelson had a high workrate, and good power, but he didn't have Duran's infighting skills, nor his defense.

Chavez had good overall skills and power, but he didn't have Duran's speed or his workrate. His defense was a step below Duran's as well.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum