Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #16
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,748
vCash: 500
Default Re: Chrley Burley vs RJJ @ 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP 6 View Post

Jones other than he speed and power brings less to the table than some of the other fighter Burley has faced.
Those are two pretty important things to bring to the table. Jones wasnt just another fast guy. He had freakish speed for his size. Not just hand speed but his foot quickness and his ability to move and still punch off his movement with power.

Burley did face superior fighters but he didnt beat them all. He lost to Charles a couple of times. Its not as if he dominated Charles.
ETM is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #17
rusak
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 930
vCash: 500
Default Re: Charley Burley vs RJJ @ 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
The Jones of the Hopkins fight would not see the 7th round vs Burley; that fight would have been an 8 rounder in Burley's day, and they would have been booed. Burley would hit jones and jones didn't like to fight.
And what does 'a huge edge in athleticism' mean? Is there going to be a track meet after the fight? Will they shoot hoops between rounds? And how do you know? Maybe Charley Burley could run really freaking fast, maybe he could dunk. "Athleticism" is a useless term.
It means a huge edge in reflexes and overall quickness, as well as strength. Combine that with Jones' greater size and Burley is in trouble. Burley's style and pace would suit Jones.
rusak is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:14 AM   #18
JLP 6
Fighter/Puncher
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: ....
Posts: 930
vCash: 500
Default Re: Chrley Burley vs RJJ @ 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
Those are two pretty important things to bring to the table. Jones wasnt just another fast guy. He had freakish speed for his size. Not just hand speed but his foot quickness and his ability to move and still punch off his movement with power.

Burley did face superior fighters but he didnt beat them all. He lost to Charles a couple of times. Its not as if he dominated Charles.
I watched him vs B-Hop at 160 and he looked i-ight.

It was a yawner and he was in his prime. If Hopkins would have pressed him hard and threw at him I believe he would have beaten him with realitive ease. Once he put Jones back to the ropes Roy was very limited and really had no way to get out. Those rounds I gave to Hopkins. Hopkins just decided to not go all out each round. His fault, his loss. When Johnson put Roy against the ropes Roy was dead in the water and was dropped for almost an hour. All Glenn did was what Hopkins did not do. Continue punching.

I say this because Burley has dealt with speed and power before and handled it well. With Burley's skill I don't see him getting hit a whole lot by the cauious Roy Jones. I see Burley being able to outbox Roy and test him severely.

Roy never developed the skills needed to be great in the times of Burley. Had he fought the likes of Robinson, Charles, and Moore I have no doubt he would have been exposed for his lack of defense and jab and gotten the heck beat out of him until he learned. Basically, he would have been a solid contender but, not at the upper eschelon's or greatness.
JLP 6 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #19
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Russia
Posts: 3,955
vCash: 1210
Default Re: Chrley Burley vs RJJ @ 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP 6 View Post
I watched him vs B-Hop at 160 and he looked i-ight.
Let's break any other great fighter's wrist, and get them into the ring before it fully heals, and see how they look? Oh, wait, actually we have had plenty of examples in history, where it happened during the fight and those great fighters looked much-much worse than they usually did.

Quote:
When Johnson put Roy against the ropes Roy was dead in the water and was dropped for almost an hour.
About 3 feet away from the ropes is being called "against the ropes" now?
Senya13 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #20
JLP 6
Fighter/Puncher
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: ....
Posts: 930
vCash: 500
Default Re: Chrley Burley vs RJJ @ 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senya13 View Post
Let's break any other great fighter's wrist, and get them into the ring before it fully heals, and see how they look? Oh, wait, actually we have had plenty of examples in history, where it happened during the fight and those great fighters looked much-much worse than they usually did.


About 3 feet away from the ropes is being called "against the ropes" now?
Give the examples big guy. Please.

Here is your three feet away from the ropes.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

One more
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

And the result
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Not exactly three feet from the ropes is it? If the links don't work just search it by bing or watch the fight. BTW, what do you think about Roy Jones Jr. vs. Charley Burley?

Have a great day!
JLP 6 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #21
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Russia
Posts: 3,955
vCash: 1210
Default Re: Chrley Burley vs RJJ @ 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP 6 View Post
Here is your three feet away from the ropes.
BORKED
Around 13:30 is a replay from the side, although not the best angle, all the same, but Roy is nowhere "against the ropes", 2 or 3 feet away, he could step forward, step back, step to the right to avoid a punch, there was enough space, but he decided to duck under it.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #22
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,008
vCash: 500
Default Re: Charley Burley vs RJJ @ 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusak View Post
It means a huge edge in reflexes and overall quickness, as well as strength. Combine that with Jones' greater size and Burley is in trouble. Burley's style and pace would suit Jones.
that is nonsense. Which fighter did Tyson, for example, have an advantage in athleticism over? Utter nonsense; you heard Jim Lampley say that and he knows nothing about boxing.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #23
HeavyweightCP
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,922
vCash: 500
Default Re: Charley Burley vs RJJ @ 160

Burley exposes the the flaws in prime jones.
HeavyweightCP is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #24
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Russia
Posts: 3,955
vCash: 1210
Default Re: Charley Burley vs RJJ @ 160

Based on two Charles' fights and Lloyd Marshall fight, I'll take Jones to outpoint Burley by wide margin. Left hooks and right crosses would make Burley respect Roy's power early and make him timid and defensive. He's too small.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #25
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,549
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Charley Burley vs RJJ @ 160

Roy Jones W 15

Ive seen both. Burley wouldnt be able to cope with so much speed. As a result, loses by the score of 12 rounds to 3
redrooster is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #26
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,008
vCash: 500
Default Re: Charley Burley vs RJJ @ 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
that is nonsense. Which fighter did Tyson, for example, have an advantage in athleticism over? Utter nonsense; you heard Jim Lampley say that and he knows nothing about boxing.
I want to apologize to rusak; while I disagree with him, my comment was rude.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #27
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,549
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Charley Burley vs RJJ @ 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
I want to apologize to rusak; while I disagree with him, my comment was rude.
I'm sure he'll forgive you.

BTW, there's no way an awkward bum like Burley could compete with Roy. Beaten to the punch 9/10 times!
redrooster is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:55 AM   #28
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,748
vCash: 500
Default Re: Chrley Burley vs RJJ @ 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP 6 View Post
I watched him vs B-Hop at 160 and he looked i-ight.

It was a yawner and he was in his prime. If Hopkins would have pressed him hard and threw at him I believe he would have beaten him with realitive ease. Once he put Jones back to the ropes Roy was very limited and really had no way to get out. Those rounds I gave to Hopkins. Hopkins just decided to not go all out each round. His fault, his loss. When Johnson put Roy against the ropes Roy was dead in the water and was dropped for almost an hour. All Glenn did was what Hopkins did not do. Continue punching.

.
Hopkins felt Jones`s punch and that was one reason why he didnt "press him hard". Just walking Roy Jones down was dangerous. He could punch. Check out his performance agasint James Toney at `68. Toney was an exceptional fighter himself but Jones was just too damn fast.

Not counting Burley out or even saying he would be dominated but I would go with Jones based on that incredible speed and footwork.
ETM is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:30 AM   #29
88Chris05
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
Default Re: Charley Burley vs RJJ @ 160

Great match up, but made difficult to predict with any real certainty due to a comparative lack of footage of Burley.

I tend to think that, in a single, one-off fight, Jones' complete unorthodoxy and unique style give him an edge over just about anyone in history (perhaps the odd exception aside here and there) between 160 and 175. I think for stylists like Burley, Tunney and so on, a series against Roy might be more beneficial (take the way that Tunney was completely befuddled by Greb's unusual angles, mixed bag style and incredible pressure first time out before slowly getting to grips with it as their series wore on, for instance).

I think part of being able to beat Roy is to make him cautious, and while Burley was a hurtful puncher no doubt, I don't think he had enough pop to put the fear of God in to Jones, particularly at Middleweight.

I'd expect Jones to win a tight decision over Burley in a fight which never really comes to the boil. Both were hard to hit but judging by the footage we do have of Burley I'd give an edge in speed to Jones, and I think Burley would have the tougher time of the two trying to pin his man down, plant his feet and score with any worthwhile punches.

One for the purists, and as I said over a series of fights Burley may well reverse the trend, but as an opener I think Jones would outpoint him in a stinker.

Howdy to everyone here, by the way, as it's my first post.
88Chris05 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:12 AM   #30
JLP 6
Fighter/Puncher
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: ....
Posts: 930
vCash: 500
Default Re: Charley Burley vs RJJ @ 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Chris05 View Post
Great match up, but made difficult to predict with any real certainty due to a comparative lack of footage of Burley.

I tend to think that, in a single, one-off fight, Jones' complete unorthodoxy and unique style give him an edge over just about anyone in history (perhaps the odd exception aside here and there) between 160 and 175. I think for stylists like Burley, Tunney and so on, a series against Roy might be more beneficial (take the way that Tunney was completely befuddled by Greb's unusual angles, mixed bag style and incredible pressure first time out before slowly getting to grips with it as their series wore on, for instance).

I think part of being able to beat Roy is to make him cautious, and while Burley was a hurtful puncher no doubt, I don't think he had enough pop to put the fear of God in to Jones, particularly at Middleweight.

I'd expect Jones to win a tight decision over Burley in a fight which never really comes to the boil. Both were hard to hit but judging by the footage we do have of Burley I'd give an edge in speed to Jones, and I think Burley would have the tougher time of the two trying to pin his man down, plant his feet and score with any worthwhile punches.

One for the purists, and as I said over a series of fights Burley may well reverse the trend, but as an opener I think Jones would outpoint him in a stinker.

Howdy to everyone here, by the way, as it's my first post.
Very nice post. First post at that. Thanks for taking the time to put some thought into. For whatever it is worth, I agree completely.
JLP 6 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013