Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 09-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
Magicpoop

vCash: 500
Default Enough technique training for Amateur fights?

Hi Guys,
I’ve finally decided to bite the bullet and start boxing at a gym with a long term goal of fighting in the amateurs.
I live in a pretty small town so I only have the two gyms to choose from. Unfortunately both gyms are only opened on select times and days. Which has me a tad worried that I won’t be training in the gym enough to fight.
One gym trains Mon, Tue, Thurs 6pm – 8pm
The other trains Mon, Tue, Wed, Thur 5pm – 6pm... However the Wednesday is purely a fitness session.
Would I be training enough technique in the gym with these open times? That’s my main worry. I can train strength and condition at any time but technique is a whole another ball game.
Thoughts?
Magicpoop is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Enough technique training for Amateur fights?

My thought is people overthink simple things. Just pick the times that best fit your schedule and train FFS.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 09-20-2013, 11:50 PM   #3
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Ever see the movie Karate Kid? Where the kid does the same shit over again and thinks it's meaningless, but over time it helps him develop his technique?

Well, boxing's a lot like that. You have to do the same shit over and over again for months before you gain some semblance of technique. So even if you are just doing fitness classes, as long as you are hitting the bags and people are correcting any bad form - you are making some progress.

To be honest, kids walk into our gym and start talking about wanting to spar or compete and shit. I just tell them, you'll get a chance to show what you can do. But honestly, you have a long road ahead, and the best thing you can do is first, make sure you are in shape - meaning you can keep up with the fitness classes and be among the best ones. And, you gotta make sure you know how to hit a bag - and only THEN you can start learning how to box. Jump in it too soon, and you will probably hate it.

You would not believe how long it takes for people to simply learn how to throw a decent punch.
It takes months just to get proper coordination and speed. Most kids don't stick around long enough to get to a competitive level. You want to impress a coach? Just show up consistently for months and show that you can listen to instruction. If you talk about competing or sparring too soon....few people would take you seriously.

So, as virus suggests - just pick one - start training - worry about the rest later.
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2013, 04:03 AM   #4
Magicpoop

Thanks lads.

I'm definitely in no rush to jump into the ring. I was just a little worried that I wouldn't be training enough after I'd read a couple of folks saying you need 5 days in the gym.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:12 AM   #5
RichC
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicpoop View Post
Thanks lads.

I'm definitely in no rush to jump into the ring. I was just a little worried that I wouldn't be training enough after I'd read a couple of folks saying you need 5 days in the gym.
Many top clubs in the UK are only open 3 days per week.

Practice what you have learnt at the gym, at home.
RichC is online now  Top
Old 09-21-2013, 05:34 AM   #6
Magicpoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Many top clubs in the UK are only open 3 days per week.
Yep, that's what I'm finding where I am also. I just got a little concerned when I kept reading people recommending five days in the gym. I just kept thinking 'How can I spend five days in the gym, when they're only open three'
Old 09-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Most clubs in the UK only open 3 days a week?
Damn, I didn't know that.

That kinda puts your original question into perspective.
I'm in the gym 5 or 6 days a week (we get to spar 3 times a week) - I guess I should consider us lucky.
I usually tell people you need to be in at least 4 days a week to be competitive.

I guess RichC's suggestion is the next best thing.

Good luck, let us know how things turn out.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
RichC
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speechless View Post
Most clubs in the UK only open 3 days a week?
Damn, I didn't know that.

That kinda puts your original question into perspective.
I'm in the gym 5 or 6 days a week (we get to spar 3 times a week) - I guess I should consider us lucky.
I usually tell people you need to be in at least 4 days a week to be competitive.

I guess RichC's suggestion is the next best thing.

Good luck, let us know how things turn out.
I wouldn't say MOST clubs are only open 3 days a week but I do know of plenty of very good clubs that are only open 3 days per week. They seem to have success regardless.

Or rather some may be open 6 days, but you could only train 3 nights per week at them - for example many club have 3 nights for juniors and 3 nights for seniors.

We are open 5-6 day per week but most lads only train 2-4 times per week. In fact, I have been wondering whether it would be more beneficial to just open just 3 days per week (and open the other days by invitation only i.e. if preparing for a bout). It sounds silly, but as things are now, several lads can easily miss a full week or more of quality sparring because their usual sparring partners happen to come on different days.
RichC is online now  Top
Old 09-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #9
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I understand.
My gym is 7 days a week, but only 3 days dedicated to the competitive team training. So I guess it's not THAT different.

But yeah, I can't imagine only coming on those 3 days. The other days I just work on strength, conditioning and sharpening up technique.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing