Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 10-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #16
Vysotskyy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Masternak vs Drozd This Weekend

At least this one was worthwhile watching, very good fight. What surprised me the most was Drozd slighty got the better of it when they boxed from the outside. On the inside Masternak's defense was very vulnerable which i expected and his offense not a threat at all with Drozd having a huge advantage here. I wish Grisha would have forced the fight in close more often and let combinations go because whenever he did Mateusz would be in trouble but he looked content to box outside. He also showed a excellent chin with Masternak landing solid rights from time to time and Drozd took it no problem at all.

Masternak showed good mental toughness to fight with that terrible cut from the 2nd round on staying completely composed but his defense and infighting are seriously lacking. He also could have used more lateral movement and done a better job controlling distance, his athleticism and footspeed weren't a factor at all because he failed to. Watching the stoppage on replay he did look really hurt, legs totally gone and at the very end in the corner Drozd landed 5 or 6 clean power shots with Mateusz's hands down at his waist essentially out on his feet.

Alot of the Polish boxers (Proksa, Szpilka, Mateusz) use that reflex based hands down style and it has proven to leave them all vulnerable. They need to adopt some more conventional defense in the Polish school of boxing imo and forget that RJJ/Martinez stuff.

Last edited by Vysotskyy; 11-03-2013 at 01:27 AM.
Vysotskyy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #17
freedom2013
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 322

Masternak fought well and showed great heart.

But it was a career performance by Grigory Drozd, he was destined to not lose in front of his home crowd in Moscow.
freedom2013 is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #18
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 32000

Yeah, Drozd on the outside was brilliant. That accurate right hand lead over Masternak's jab...
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #19
Cletis VanDamme
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysotskyy View Post
Alot of the Polish boxers (Proksa, Szpilka, Mateusz) use that reflex based hands down style and it has proven to leave them all vulnerable. They need to adopt some more conventional defense in the Polish school of boxing imo and forget that RJJ/Martinez stuff.
I noticed that too, i just thought Masternak's defense was tighter though. The worst D out of the three has to be Szpilka's.
Cletis VanDamme is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #20
UnleashtheFURY
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 118

Szpilka is going to get violently KO'd as soon as he steps up in his class. If his handlers are smart and fight stiffs and hasbeens for a year or two they can maybe get him a voluntary shot against a Klitschko in a year or two, if he steps up in class he's getting KO'd. any top 30 HW beats him easily. Mollo has been done for years(never really was anything good) and he give Szpilka serious problems, theres a chance that he won't be so lucky next time. I think he's going to get KO'd sooner or later regardless of whether he moves up in class or not.
UnleashtheFURY is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #21
turbina
Polska Siła
ESB Addict

vCash: 465

At first I thought the stoppage came early, that it should have been a standing count, but later after seeing Masternak not even arguing the decision much, and that it would only probably have delayed the inevitable, (although who knows) that it wasn't a terrible call I suppose. I had Drozd ahead, anyways. But it is boxing.

That aside, it was an entertaining and close fight. Really did test and reveal many of Masternaks flaws. Masternak looks unnecessarily bulky to me, he doesn't need all that muscle, especially with his style. Another problem for him that I have noticed in recent fights are he does not have much power. In the past he has fought guys he should have dispatched, yet they made it to the end because he could simply not put them away. Lastly, which is a new revelation, is Masternak seemed to be stunned quite a bit throughout this fight, to me demonstrating he doesn't have the best ability to absorb punches, not all of them were bombs. He lacked punching in combinations, and relied way too much on the 1-2 which Drozd seemed to have figured out. Did a poor job of maintaining the distance between them, and let Drozd get inside, and back him up and trap him on the ropes far too many times. His defense needs work, in other words.

Drozd on the other hand clearly did his homework, found an effective way to avoid Masternaks jab, and get inside, pressure him and take him out of his zone, and then flurry him with most importantly, hard, combinations, which even if done sporadically gave him the round because they were effective. When Masternak was in his rhythm he was doing well boxing on the outside, but it was far too easy for Drozd to knock him out of it, with Masternak lacking a game plan in such a case.

Rumour has it that Sauerland wants Gmitruk gone, and is likely to use this defeat as an excuse to remove him from the team. Before the fight Gmitruk is said to have said that in case of a loss , Sauerland will likely try to use that as an excuse to get rid of him. The sparring partners for this fight were not picked or even endorsed by Gmitruk, and were top tier HWs, which according to many, including Gmitruk, were not a good choice in preparation for this fight.
turbina is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #22
Cletis VanDamme
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 928

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMagic View Post
Another polish fighter exposed.
Isn't pro boxing forbidden in Sweden ? You would know if you were actually a Swede, i can say i'm located in Polynesia, that doesn't mean it's true.
Cletis VanDamme is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #23
MrMagic
Super Six
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletis VanDamme View Post
Isn't pro boxing forbidden in Sweden ? You would know if you were actually a Swede, i can say i'm located in Polynesia, that doesn't mean it's true.
It's not.

It is however, very regulated.
MrMagic is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #24
yogster740
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 263

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashtheFURY View Post
Szpilka is going to get violently KO'd as soon as he steps up in his class. If his handlers are smart and fight stiffs and hasbeens for a year or two they can maybe get him a voluntary shot against a Klitschko in a year or two, if he steps up in class he's getting KO'd. any top 30 HW beats him easily. Mollo has been done for years(never really was anything good) and he give Szpilka serious problems, theres a chance that he won't be so lucky next time. I think he's going to get KO'd sooner or later regardless of whether he moves up in class or not.
Szpila gets a lot of shit on this board, its pretty obvious that he's pretty raw with crappy defense...but he's still only 24 and has many yrs of development. I would not cross him out just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbina View Post
At first I thought the stoppage came early, that it should have been a standing count, but later after seeing Masternak not even arguing the decision much, and that it would only probably have delayed the inevitable, (although who knows) that it wasn't a terrible call I suppose. I had Drozd ahead, anyways. But it is boxing.

That aside, it was an entertaining and close fight. Really did test and reveal many of Masternaks flaws. Masternak looks unnecessarily bulky to me, he doesn't need all that muscle, especially with his style. Another problem for him that I have noticed in recent fights are he does not have much power. In the past he has fought guys he should have dispatched, yet they made it to the end because he could simply not put them away. Lastly, which is a new revelation, is Masternak seemed to be stunned quite a bit throughout this fight, to me demonstrating he doesn't have the best ability to absorb punches, not all of them were bombs. He lacked punching in combinations, and relied way too much on the 1-2 which Drozd seemed to have figured out. Did a poor job of maintaining the distance between them, and let Drozd get inside, and back him up and trap him on the ropes far too many times. His defense needs work, in other words.

Drozd on the other hand clearly did his homework, found an effective way to avoid Masternaks jab, and get inside, pressure him and take him out of his zone, and then flurry him with most importantly, hard, combinations, which even if done sporadically gave him the round because they were effective. When Masternak was in his rhythm he was doing well boxing on the outside, but it was far too easy for Drozd to knock him out of it, with Masternak lacking a game plan in such a case.

Rumour has it that Sauerland wants Gmitruk gone, and is likely to use this defeat as an excuse to remove him from the team. Before the fight Gmitruk is said to have said that in case of a loss , Sauerland will likely try to use that as an excuse to get rid of him. The sparring partners for this fight were not picked or even endorsed by Gmitruk, and were top tier HWs, which according to many, including Gmitruk, were not a good choice in preparation for this fight.

Gmitruk claimed that he was shunned out of a lot of the preparation for the fight. He said that he was strongly against Masternak's body building program prior to the fight, it resulted it changes in technique and decreased power in his right hand. Now they have officially split.
Who knows, its easy to find excuses, lets see how he comes back with all these changes in his camp.
yogster740 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum