boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2007, 07:23 AM   #16
Doppleganger
Il Genio
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 765
vCash: 800
Default Re: The Best Counter-Puncher Of The Past 50 years??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum
Wilfredo Benitez dethroned Carlos Palomino by decision, counterpunching off the ropes. When I think of a counterpuncher, he's the first who comes to mind. (Very difficult to dethrone a dominant champion on points by counterpunching.)
Good pick Duo, he definately comes to mind.
Doppleganger is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2007, 07:24 AM   #17
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,870
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Best Counter-Puncher Of The Past 50 years??

I'd say Sanchez and Mayweather are the best two I've seen in the last 50 years.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:23 AM   #18
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,803
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Best Counter-Puncher Of The Past 50 years??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
He's a fantastic example for sure.

Truth be told i cannot believe Jose Napoles has not been mentioned yet. He to me is the epitome of the consumate counterpuncher. Unbelievable at the game.
My tendency is to think primarily of retreating counterpunchers, or boxing off the ropes, JT. However, along the lines of Jose Napoles, Dwight Qawi actually was a similar style of counterpuncher. Never taking a backwards step, Ike would slip punches coming in, while automatically countering his opponent's jab with his own. Arguello and Louis were also counterpunchers who slipped shots and countered as they advanced. (One thing that sets Arguello apart from Louis is that Alexis could also be extremely dangerous when backed up against the ropes, as Roberto Elizondo found out when Arguello busted his jaw.)

Victor Galindez had a counterpunching style all his own, laying back against the ropes, then winging away in a manner of steel chinned macho guerrilla warfare peculiar to him.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:26 AM   #19
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,119
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Best Counter-Puncher Of The Past 50 years??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum
My tendency is to think primarily of retreating counterpunchers, or boxing off the ropes, JT. However, along the lines of Jose Napoles, Dwight Qawi actually was a similar style of counterpuncher. Never taking a backwards step, Ike would slip punches coming in, while automatically countering his opponent's jab with his own. Arguello and Louis were also counterpunchers who slipped shots and countered as they advanced. (One thing that sets Arguello apart from Louis is that Alexis could also be extremely dangerous when backed up against the ropes, as Roberto Elizondo found out when Arguello busted his jaw.)

Victor Galindez had a counterpunching style all his own, laying back against the ropes, then winging away in a manner of steel chinned macho guerrilla warfare peculiar to him.
Nice post, and i'll add my piece.

I think Sanchez reminded me of Napoles more than most in that he eased forward, forcing his opponent to lead and then copuntered, just like Napoles. Arguello used his jab a little more i think. Sanchez and Napoles are prime examples of pro-active counterpunchers.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:01 AM   #20
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,803
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Best Counter-Puncher Of The Past 50 years??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Nice post, and i'll add my piece.

I think Sanchez reminded me of Napoles more than most in that he eased forward, forcing his opponent to lead and then copuntered, just like Napoles. Arguello used his jab a little more i think. Sanchez and Napoles are prime examples of pro-active counterpunchers.
Sal's counterpunching and superior handspeed were ruinous to Danny Lopez in their two title fights. Not really a big puncher himself, Sal obliterated Wilfredo Gomez by drawing him in, getting Bazooka to initiate action, then fracturing his cheekbone by using Gomez's own momentum to magnify the impact of Sal's countershot. Sal's systematic dismantling of Gomez was an all-time masterpiece of ring generalship. Over the entire course of a 15 round match, Sanchez was known for occasionally spotting a lead before the inevitable comeback.

Early on, bridesmaid contender Ruben Castillo was all hyped up and inspired by a supportive crowd when challenging Sanchez. The match was going really well for him, but I suspect that just about everybody viewing it on television knew that Sal would overtake him towards the championship rounds with his counterattack. (That seemed as inevitable as Saad Muhammad's comebacks after trailing world title claimants and top contenders in about a dozen matches.) Not only did Sal come from behind against Castillo, he passed him on the scorecards as though Ruben was standing still, and won a very comfortable UD. (The idea of Salvador Sanchez boxing 12 round world championship bouts is unthinkable to me. He was a 15 round boxer, through and through, and represented what exemplary aerobic physical conditioning was all about.)
Duodenum is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:23 AM   #21
Bad_Intentions
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Miami FL, USA
Posts: 3,688
vCash: 153
Default Re: The Best Counter-Puncher Of The Past 50 years??

great opinions guys
Bad_Intentions is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:04 AM   #22
Manassa
-
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ESB since '05
Posts: 3,883
vCash: 75
Default Re: The Best Counter-Puncher Of The Past 50 years??

How could I forget Napoles? In his prime, he might even top the list. Not as slick as the Whitakers and Mayweathers but far more damaging.
Manassa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:24 AM   #23
Icemmann
Breakin it down.
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: In a Treehouse
Posts: 475
vCash: 75
Default Re: The Best Counter-Puncher Of The Past 50 years??

Evander Holyfield was pretty quick with a counterpunch. Or a counteheadbutt.
Icemmann is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:29 AM   #24
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,119
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Best Counter-Puncher Of The Past 50 years??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa
How could I forget Napoles? In his prime, he might even top the list. Not as slick as the Whitakers and Mayweathers but far more damaging.
To be honest i am shocked you forgot him, with you being a very big fan and him being ranked by quite a few as possibly the best counterpuncher in modern history.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:34 AM   #25
jyuza
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,199
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Best Counter-Puncher Of The Past 50 years??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemmann
Evander Holyfield was pretty quick with a counterpunch. Or a counteheadbutt.
Actually I thought he was faster with his head than his punches.
jyuza is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:50 AM   #26
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 23,502
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Best Counter-Puncher Of The Past 50 years??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Intentions
who is it???
Harold Johnson.
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:23 PM   #27
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,482
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Best Counter-Puncher Of The Past 50 years??

Kalule.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:12 PM   #28
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London
Posts: 2,495
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Best Counter-Puncher Of The Past 50 years??

Salvador Sanchez, Jose Napoles, Nicolino Locche, Wilfred Benitez and Antonio Cervantes.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015