Old 12-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #676
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Rocky Marciano vs. Sonny Liston

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
So this, basically, is about body language for you?
No, it's just part of it. If you add that to the other stuff, not reacting well under fire, being static at the moment of impact, bracing himself, not looking particularly loose apart from sporadic moments. The tension prevented him from reacting instinctively the whole time. Floyd was able to make Sonny miss, and he was able to land, I accept that but conviction was absent and even glancing blows made too much of an impression because he appears too tense under fire.
choklab is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #677
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by choklab View Post
If you add that to the other stuff, not reacting well under fire
He didn't react well under fire because his punch resistance wasn't equal to the power that was delivered. Liston hit him hard enough to hurt him every time he landed a hard punch - do you accept that?
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #678
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
A big part of boxing is mental, I don't think anyone can deny that, not all mental but a large part...I think in the Marciano-Walcott 2, Tyson-Spinks, Liston Patterson,and Ali-Liston among others the mind played a strong part as well as other factors
totally agree.

At top level a one round blow out has as much to do with the loser playing into the hands of the winner. Either by complete blunder, wrong tactics or with the mind not being ready.

Take Witherspoon against Smith as yet another example. A very good defensive fighter just blowing it on the night also. You can blame his prep for the fight and other crazy stuff but his mind was not there against a man he schooled last time.
choklab is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #679
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Mental components play a strong role in all fights.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #680
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
He didn't react well under fire because his punch resistance wasn't equal to the power that was delivered. Liston hit him hard enough to hurt him every time he landed a hard punch - do you accept that?
I accept Liston hurt Floyd, of course I do. Punch resistance has a lot to do with anticipation and being able to roll rather than tense up. Sometimes a fighter can take a hard punch without the same impression each time. If a fighter has settled down he takes a better shot. A psyched out fighter never settles down. A good punch is always a good punch and yes, Liston landed good punches on Floyd. More so in the first fight in my opinion but still good punches. He was throwing bombs.
choklab is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #681
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by choklab View Post
I accept Liston hurt Floyd, of course I do. Punch resistance has a lot to do with anticipation and being able to roll rather than tense up. Sometimes a fighter can take a hard punch without the same impression each time. If a fighter has settled down he takes a better shot. A psyched out fighter never settles down. A good punch is always a good punch and yes, Liston landed good punches on Floyd. More so in the first fight in my opinion but still good punches. He was throwing bombs.
I agree, once a fighter is stiff and tense his punch resistance weakens, a perfect example would be Andrew Golota who was a strong solid guy but froze against Lewis,Tyson and others but appeared to take some good shots from Bowe and others ...mental was a large part of Golota's downfall but of course the punches he took were instrumental its just that the tension and anxiety caused him to freeze in some fights.
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #682
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
I agree, once a fighter is stiff and tense his punch resistance weakens, a perfect example would be Andrew Golota who was a strong solid guy but froze against Lewis,Tyson and others but appeared to take some good shots from Bowe and others ...mental was a large part of Golota's downfall but of course the punches he took were instrumental its just that the tension and anxiety caused him to freeze in some fights.
yes, a good example. In these situations you cant blame a fighter for seizing the moment. nothing brings the best out of a predator than the sight of a wounded animal. A well focused fighter can sence the weakness of his victim instinctively. He can smell it and will strike imediatley. Makes the winner look twice as good and the loser twice as bad.

Last edited by choklab; 12-17-2013 at 03:54 PM.
choklab is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #683
Foxy 01
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuchulain View Post
Foxy, you're embarrassing yourself here.

Again.
You want to know what's embarrassing fool?

I have an 80 plus year old Spanish lady neighbour, and she has NO vested interest in boxing at all, and no feelings about it one way or another, but I showed her the clip above and asked her what she saw.

" El pequeno esta asustado " was her reply.

When I told her that pontificating egotistical fools spend pages coming up with garbage cliches like " styles make fights " when watching that and similar instances, she chuckled, left the fresh baked bread she makes, and went home shaking her head.

That is what is embarrassing, being so fvcking blind, you are unable to see the wood for the trees.

As for who wins out of Marciano and Liston? Sonny unless the mob tell him otherwise, not that I give a shit either way, as both left a lot to be desired in their styles.
Foxy 01 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum