Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-01-2014, 07:16 PM   #31
WhyYouLittle
Stand Still
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Who disappointed you the first time you saw them on film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Dempsey
Took it long enough.
WhyYouLittle is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2014, 10:43 PM   #32
Vince Voltage
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Jack Johnson, holding, grappling, and mauling.
Vince Voltage is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2014, 12:28 AM   #33
Germanicus
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Georges Carpentier...His attacks seem amateurish.
Max Schmeling...Some of the punches Baer hit him with, my Grandfather could have avoided.
Germanicus is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2014, 12:55 AM   #34
Rock0052
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

On the downside was Jack Johnson and Baer. I don't doubt that they were tough to beat. They're not much easier to watch, though.

Steele surprised me on the upside. Really looked like a prototype boxer/puncher.
Rock0052 is online now  Top
Old 01-02-2014, 07:04 AM   #35
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock0052 View Post
On the downside was Jack Johnson and Baer. I don't doubt that they were tough to beat. They're not much easier to watch, though.

Steele surprised me on the upside. Really looked like a prototype boxer/puncher.
these kind of statements always surprise me...

Steele does look great, so does Benny Lynch and loads of American footage from the 1940s and other parts too. In fact last night for the first time I saw Jack Gardner vs Johnny Williams, excellent filming, showing perfectly well how good & capable they were, and thats the point.

Some of these guys look great as we expect them to look for TOP men. So because we see an 'excellent' piece of film that was done right and preserved well, how then can the same intelligent people think the others aren't as good, great or worthy men???

of course they ARE... it's the FILM thats shit not the fighters!
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2014, 08:13 AM   #36
JLP 6
Fighter/Puncher
ESB Senior Member

Joe Gans.

Joe Gans did not impress me the first time I saw his film. I expect him to look like Mayweather on steriods. What I found was that Gans held his guard low and had this kind of herky-jerky movement for defense. I watch him lean back on his back foot, with his guard down when he gets rushed how his scrables himself around to get back in boxing position. I was expecting the "Old Master" to look like a cross between Joe Louis and Sugar Ray Robinson. Instead, I saw a guy who was not very fluid.

When you have seen a fighter like Pernell Whitaker it is hard sometimes the greatness of older fighters with the less fluid style. They look like they are really "fighting" where todays fighters a "boxing". I am sure it has something to do with the lower protection of fighter back in that time. My perception of his style takes nothing away from his legacy just like Monzon extremely boring fights take nothing away from the fact he is one of the top 5 middles of all-time.

Looking at Marco Maidana he looked sloppy, off-balance, throwing the wrong punches, looping rights against a guy that most would consider picture perfect. However, to the understanding eye one sees the intricate beauty of Marco Maidana inside combinations and defense. Put Broner-Maidana on a film from 1907 and we think Maidana was a tomato can skill-wise.
JLP 6 is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2014, 10:20 AM   #37
WhyYouLittle
Stand Still
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle1 View Post

Steele does look great, so does Benny Lynch and loads of American footage from the 1940s and other parts too. In fact last night for the first time I saw Jack Gardner vs Johnny Williams, excellent filming, showing perfectly well how good & capable they were, and thats the point.

Some of these guys look great as we expect them to look for TOP men. So because we see an 'excellent' piece of film that was done right and preserved well, how then can the same intelligent people think the others aren't as good, great or worthy men???

Benny Lynch! That's a guy I really don't like. He looks dangerous as hell, quick, powerful yet I absolutely hate his style. Ack.
WhyYouLittle is online now  Top
Old 01-02-2014, 01:33 PM   #38
StGeorge
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury View Post

I'll even go a step further (may as well, no turning back now ) and say that Sugar Ray Robinson didn't impress me that much at first. I wasn't disappointed really, just underwhelmed. Again it was due to the whole mental image thing...
Felt exactly the same, I guess they are so hyped in ones own head, impossible to live up too.
StGeorge is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2014, 02:34 PM   #39
Rock0052
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle1 View Post

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I expected Steele to look good, but what I saw was a guy who not only was great, but would've transitioned even better to the modern 12 round era.

Still wishing I could find Steele-Overlin footage. I wonder if that even exists...
Rock0052 is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum