Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #31
albinored
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Fixed Fight series part 2 Larry Holmes

...hey, guys...relax. this guy is a phoney..
albinored is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #32
Ipay4leavingNot
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Yes Albinored, Larry Holmes is a phoney
Ipay4leavingNot is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #33
Ipay4leavingNot
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

BillB raises an interesting point, how do you the casual observer know when someone is paid off. I can speak about the holmes fights because I know factually they were. But there are some fights that I suspect (ponce de leon vs broner) but there is no possible way to prove such a thing. The decision was off so bad, it seemed to be more than bias judging in a close fight. (canelo trout or broner paulie)
Ipay4leavingNot is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #34
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I don't think Larry was involved with the mob, but when he said what he said about Rocky Marciano, who knows what part that played in the Spinks fight.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #35
Andrei00
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 460

I don't know much about Holmes, never been interested in him, but it's always nice to read these conspiracy theories. Anyone knows what happened to Senor Pepe? He used to make these interesting anti-Ali threads I used to love.
Andrei00 is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #36
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I see Il Duce or whatever he was calling himself is back.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #37
CrashStitches
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipay4leavingNot View Post
It is called co-robberating evidence. I may have seen something first hand. But Larry being caught bribing jose sulaman and boxing officials certainly is good corrobating evidence. Him lying about his known mafia ties and reports showing the endemic of fixed fights is corroborating evidence. It shows that other objective bodies and commission, prosecutors, fbi agents, police saw the same things I saw. These are not conspiracy theories because they are proven facts.

I did watch holmes fight and I saw him get laid out in the gym by way better fights in sparring. Holmes was not great, carefully picked opponents, dropped the title to avoid tough fights and couldn't get the easy fights he wanted despite paying off sulaman.

I never made Leonard made $100 m of a single fight, but after he did. His highest paying fight until duran was 1 mil against benetiez. Ya I am a big pretender you got me all figured out. You were not there you are just full of it. Come to a boxing ring and say half the smack you talk here in the ring to my face.
If you were "there" an an insider back then, you ain't doing nothing to anyone in a boxing ring in 2013.
CrashStitches is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #38
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipay4leavingNot View Post
I really don't care what you believe.
I wonder how many times you have been on here, and with how many user names ,and every post SHIT.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #39
Malcolm
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Twas an interesting read but I don't know you could say Holmes had a 'glass' jaw. He went down a few times and maybe some refs would stopped him against Snipes after he stumbled into the turnbuckle but he did get up and recover. I'm sure a lot people believe those with the real power in society are invisible but it doesn't make every conspiracy theory true. It's well known the 'mafia' ran boxing for a long time but I've never read\seen when that supposedly ended. Don King is as crooked as they come, all you need to know him is he's murdered at least one person (I vaguely recall a mention of a 2nd but not sure) who owed him money and only did 3 years. I do believe Liston threw the 2nd fight with Ali purely based on Liston having a good chin, Ali not being a 'one shot' type puncher and the fact most people refer to it as the 'phantom right'.
But yeah unless you were an infant at the time you were a bagman you can't claim to be a boxer today. Are you claiming to be a trainer or promoter?

Last edited by Malcolm; 08-31-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Malcolm is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #40
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Firstly, 99% of boxers participate in 'fixed fights', - fixed, that is, to some degree. As for the sport itself - the whole thing is fake or crooked. The sport is built on fakery and inconsistent rules. It's so blatant, fans complain about it every week.
Pro boxing has taken it to such absurd extremes that only hardcore fans can take it seriously or attempt to understand it. And they damn it in every breath !

But, hey, cinema and TV is 'fake' too .... (not to mention religion) ... so there's really no need for people to get upset.

Larry Holmes admits to paying off officials in his 'autobiography', which I have. He complains about all the kickbacks he had to make. There's not much reason to doubt it.

The rest of it, I don't know.

He was a great fighter anyway.
Unforgiven is online now  Top
Old 01-01-2014, 06:47 AM   #41
baz1963

Absolute nonsense
baz1963 is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2014, 07:29 AM   #42
doug.ie
broadcasting from a shed
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

the man who got up from THAT punch from shavers ??....a glass jaw ??
doug.ie is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2014, 09:27 AM   #43
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Don King knew a lot of people but was beholding to only Don King....he was a smart enough street guy to work people and manipulate and maneuver but he was not controlled by the Mob ( especially since Cleveland would have been overruled by NY....this is a fable

While Holmes did enjoy the benefits of close decisions, bribed and favorable ratings and rating manipulated and avoidance navigation I for one can not actually recall a fixed fight.

Holmes fought many inexperienced fighters with 10-2-2, 10-0, 13-0,14-0,14-0-1, 15,16, 18-9 records fights and may have fought others that were far less deserving than others but I do not recall any fixed fights.

Holmes could fight, had a good chin and recovery power, had one of the best jabs in the business and was always in condition.

Did he avoid the better fighters of his era YES

Did King maneuver & manipulate judges and rating to set up opponents for Holmes YES

Did Larry never unify his title against Tate,Coetzee,Dokes,Page,Thomas,Weaver and for the most part avoid these fights YES

Did Holmes ever rematch a tough fight NO

do we know of any fights that Holmes had that were fixed or fighters took a diveNO

So while I think Larry was a great fighter I do not feel that he actually proved it against the better fighters of his era or the better or more capable punchers...while Larry did show great recuperative powers against Shavers there were many other fighters like Quarry,Young,Lyle,Mercado,Ali,Stallings,Stander,etc. that were able to handle Shavers best and survive to win....and as far as the Snipes fight Reynaldo had just been dropped 2x by Coetzee and King helped steal the title shot away from Coetzee but almost payed dearly vs Snipes

So while I can not have blind faith without fact or proof and call Larry a top 5 ATG heavyweight i still think he was a great fighter who could have perhaps proven MORE or LESS had he fought the best and unified & rematched tough fights
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2014, 04:43 PM   #44
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He definitely should have rematched Witherspoon, Weaver, and Williams, for sure.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #45
Rock0052
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bummy davis View Post
don king knew a lot of people but was beholding to only don king....he was a smart enough street guy to work people and manipulate and maneuver but he was not controlled by the mob ( especially since cleveland would have been overruled by ny....this is a fable

while holmes did enjoy the benefits of close decisions, bribed and favorable ratings and rating manipulated and avoidance navigation i for one can not actually recall a fixed fight.

Holmes fought many inexperienced fighters with 10-2-2, 10-0, 13-0,14-0,14-0-1, 15,16, 18-9 records fights and may have fought others that were far less deserving than others but i do not recall any fixed fights.

Holmes could fight, had a good chin and recovery power, had one of the best jabs in the business and was always in condition.

Did he avoid the better fighters of his era yes

did king maneuver & manipulate judges and rating to set up opponents for holmes yes

did larry never unify his title against tate,coetzee,dokes,page,thomas,weaver and for the most part avoid these fights yes

did holmes ever rematch a tough fight no

do we know of any fights that holmes had that were fixed or fighters took a diveno

so while i think larry was a great fighter i do not feel that he actually proved it against the better fighters of his era or the better or more capable punchers...while larry did show great recuperative powers against shavers there were many other fighters like quarry,young,lyle,mercado,ali,stallings,stander,etc. That were able to handle shavers best and survive to win....and as far as the snipes fight reynaldo had just been dropped 2x by coetzee and king helped steal the title shot away from coetzee but almost payed dearly vs snipes

so while i can not have blind faith without fact or proof and call larry a top 5 atg heavyweight i still think he was a great fighter who could have perhaps proven more or less had he fought the best and unified & rematched tough fights
+1
Rock0052 is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum