Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 04-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #31
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: New Sugar Ray Robinson footage in his prime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
Insulting disabled people because you lack the creativity to offend me is despicable behaviour of a mid 20' man who teaches kids.
Clearly he was Apeing my style? And I'm not a teacher.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #32
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
It's always the same. A fine thread is going along nicely and then dinovelvet jumps in and says some extremely ****ing idiotic, pedantic bullshit. Just derails everything and acts like a cunt literally always.
He's a total weapon.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #33
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
A weapon with no bullets and a ****ing broken trigger.
A weapon I wish would stay in the gf.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #34
bman100
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Tywin View Post
Its Robinson-Giardello.
Thanks. Never seen it from that angle before. Ray looked pretty good considering where he was at in his career. Theres some good new footage there though from when was younger like his fights with ray barnes and other European fighters from his 1950 tour.
bman100 is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #35
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman100 View Post
Sugar fought Bell twice, once in 1945 and again in 46 for the WW title. Dunno which fight Ray was knocked down though.
Robinson was knocked down in the second fight {Title Bout}. He later dropped Bell on his way to a decision. I don't know of any KDs in their first fight.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #36
NWS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Circle to the left, jab, feint, abruptly unload combinations.

Who doesn't love watching Ray Robinson? More brutal than beautiful though. Always felt that way. And I like that. He was a straight up FIGHTER.
NWS is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #37
tezel8764
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 527

^ Front running cunt.
tezel8764 is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #38
NWS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezel8764 View Post
^ Front running cunt.

Says the guy with such original all-time favorites that include Michael Jordan, Muhammad Ali, Tupac Shakur and who else, Wayne Gretzky?
NWS is offline  Top
Old 04-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #39
bman100
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
Robinson was knocked down in the second fight {Title Bout}. He later dropped Bell on his way to a decision. I don't know of any KDs in their first fight.
Thanks. That WW title match was filmed, it would be interesting to see how much Ray struggled against a fighter as good as Bell when he was at his WW peak. SLAKKA also said that Sugar's fight before the Bell fight against Levene was filmed too. Hope at least one of them will be found.
bman100 is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2014, 04:19 PM   #40
withoutwire
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 568

That double left hook is beautiful
withoutwire is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2014, 11:44 PM   #41
spinner
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Thanks to threads like this one and others, I was inspired to watch a few old videos of SRR on youtube. Wow! I cannot believe the speed and power of his left jabs. Imagine getting hit by a barrage of punches like that! Small wonder why he defeated so many greats from the past.

What a boxer!
spinner is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2014, 12:29 AM   #42
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

I was fortunate to see the prime WW edition of Ray Robinson ringside several times, and
truly he had to be seen ringside to be fully appreciated. An almost 6ft 147 pound killer whose every punch was intended for a ko...Greatest fighter I ever saw ringside with
Willie Pep a close second.....We must remember these two great fighters each fought
about TWO HUNDRED bouts almost every 3 weeks...Do you think a Mayweather great for today, would be undefeated fighting the likes of Tommy Bell, Kid Gavilan, Jake LaMotta
Sammy Angott, Henry Armstrong, each several times ? Could a Mayweather those days
"duck" a Manny Paq in Ray Robinson's times in the 1940s, and get away with it ? Hell no...
Or take an Ike Williams in his lightweight days fighting the very top opponents like
Beau Jack, Bob Montgomery, Sammy Angott, time and again, fighting about 20-25 abouts a year. A Mayweather would have had a tough time in those highly competitive
days for sure...I would have loved to see a young prime Beau Jack at 135 pounds
with Beau's non stop attack throwing hooks, crosses, uppercuts, bolo punches for 15 rounds against Mayweather...WOW. But to answer this thread, there was no one WW
as good as the original SRR...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2014, 06:32 AM   #43
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
I was fortunate to see the prime WW edition of Ray Robinson ringside several times, and
truly he had to be seen ringside to be fully appreciated. An almost 6ft 147 pound killer whose every punch was intended for a ko...Greatest fighter I ever saw ringside with
Willie Pep a close second.....We must remember these two great fighters each fought
about TWO HUNDRED bouts almost every 3 weeks...Do you think a Mayweather great for today, would be undefeated fighting the likes of Tommy Bell, Kid Gavilan, Jake LaMotta
Sammy Angott, Henry Armstrong, each several times ? Could a Mayweather those days
"duck" a Manny Paq in Ray Robinson's times in the 1940s, and get away with it ? Hell no...
Or take an Ike Williams in his lightweight days fighting the very top opponents like
Beau Jack, Bob Montgomery, Sammy Angott, time and again, fighting about 20-25 abouts a year. A Mayweather would have had a tough time in those highly competitive
with Beau's non stop attack throwing hooks, crosses, uppercuts, bolo punches for 15 rounds against Mayweather...WOW. But to answer this thread, there was no one WW
Burt I have said these very things many times. and these are the things that bring into question "just how long the Mayweathers, BHops and RJJrs would have rated at the TOP?

sure their great, but with such TOP Flight demands, fight scheduals and CONSTANT TOP Opposition, they would have suffered losses at the very least, BUT I wonder how many of them might have just fallen away from the top scene after a couple of years... this is the real question!

the SRR days have ALREADY BEEN DONE, Set in Stone for All-time, but todays greats under much more complimentary conditions, many of them I'm sure would have been weeded out!
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2014, 07:12 AM   #44
Bukkake
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
Yes, let's bash Mayweather once more - in a thread that has nothing to do with him!
Bukkake is online now  Top
Old 01-06-2014, 07:32 AM   #45
Vinegar Hill
Contender
ESB Senior Member

How do people think Sugar Ray would have been fighting at the frequency of the modern day fighters?
Let's say he had a 40 or 50 fight career like a Mayweather,would he have been even better?
Would potentially spending more time between fights working on his skills made him better. Or would less time in the ring been detrimental to developing his skills?
Or on the other hand would more time between fights have given him more oppurtunity to enjoy his playboy lifestyle?
Vinegar Hill is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum