Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 02-27-2014, 12:04 PM   #16
latineg
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Tell me about Tank Abbott

Tank was GREAT!!! A true legend back in a era when everyone needed to see what would happen if someone big and strong with little technique and total power brawling just came straight forward full on swinging from the opening bell. Had decent hand speed in his right hand for one or two shots, lol. Lots of power in his right. Not much else. Tank was great because he gave the impression that his only training was drinking beer and bar fighting. He really did have that type of Carwin power in his right that made his opening exchanges dangerous. Tank was not great compared to the top guys. Tank was great for his first year on the scene as he came into the cage confident that if he hammered you with his right he could take out anyone. Personally, I bet he could of been better if he was not such a hammerhead and would of trained more on technique and conditioning, lol, ,, however, that was Tank, he didn't care about those details. For instance, even if he would of worked on a better left hook to go with his straight right he could of been far more dangerous. I used to box back in the day, my straight right was good from day one and my left hook sucked from day one. When I had no power in my left hook I was going nowhere. As soon as my left hook started working, even though it was never great, even though it never felt POWERFUL to me and always felt a little awkward, well as soon as it got good enough to land, well my straight right got WAY BETTER. I went from a boxer that was focused only on landing my straight right to a fighter that focused on using my straight right to fake and land a solid left hook so as I could then unload my right. Ok I didn't go far in boxing so don't get me wrong, however, before I developed a decent left hook I could not win fights even in the beginner levels I was at the time. As soon as I got my left hook good enough to hurt someone I started advancing winning fights until I moved up and got slaughtered. My point is, Tank just did not care about strategy, he just wanted to go out and brawl which was awesome for the short times that it lasted.

Tank was not in Shamrocks class, Kenny I assume your meaning. Tank I bet hit harder than Shamrock, but Shamrock had at that time a superior all around fighting style and ability. Plus I think Kenny was roided up early in his career and was hugely powerful and great on the ground.

Tank was ok on the ground ONLY if he had hit you and fell on top of you in great position. However, other than that Tank was **** on the ground and had no gas tank. Courture or Maurice were on a different level than Tank.

Once Vitor destroyed Tank he really had peaked. Tank had to be the guy that could at least out brawl/swing the other guy, once he found out that there was faster better more accurate brawlers than him that could take him out fast without just trying gas him, well he turned into a side show fighter.

Always enjoyed his early fights however!
latineg is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2015, 06:28 PM   #17
ironmark

vCash: 500

In the early days of MMA, it might have been hard to find a more imposing figure than Tank Abbott. Tank was real bad-ass. He had dozens of street / bar fights in huntington beach, and was well known in the area for his reputation. Tank went to California State University - Long Beach on a wrestling scholarship and was an NJCAA All American. Tank obviously loved to drink and he had this thing where he would go to these local bars and basically find the toughest guy there and get him to try and fight. He would also dare the bouncers (guys who are tough only in their own mind) to start stuff with him and when they did, Tank would knock them silly. Guys called him out and were brutally beaten. While Tank was still going to college, he worked in a liquor store part time- and encountered a rude customer who tried to provoke Tank into fighting him. The guy waited for Tank to get off work, and then Tank beat him severely. The guy ended up being the son of a police detective and tank spent 6 months in jail for felony assault. True fact - John Matua had legit bad blood with Tank Abbott prior to their UFC fight, Tank was working out and got jumped by Matua and his cousins. Tank knocked out one of the cousins but two of them and Matua started kicking him while he was down and Tank was getting F'd up so he had to bite one of the guys in the shoulder to give him a chance to run away. I forget what fighter's book i read all of the above in.

In the early UFC, tank proved that a black belt didn't mean **** because you were getting KTFO if you fought him. As the sport started evolving, tank started losing because as mentioned, he didn't have a great gas tank. I also never understood why he never wrestled more, as he was an outstanding wrestler in his youth. He was also trained by Jesse Reid and boxed for 13 years prior to entering UFC.

His tough guy reputation and biker look make many people think he is nothing more than a street criminal, but in reality Abbott has a degree in U.S. History. He has also been described by many fans as very nice in real life when people are respectful to him (basically don't be a **** to him because you figure he's a celebrity and won't try and fight you). He always signs autographs for free.

Last point on Tank - his last big fight was against Kimbo, and even though he lost, Tank received $500,000 for his appearance (according to Tank). He has since owned/operated a very successful overhead door / garage door business and his friends say that he is basically set for life. I was one of Tank's biggest fans.
ironmark is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2015, 06:45 PM   #18
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 60000

MMA's Galento.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Sponsored Links

Old 02-22-2015, 08:02 PM   #19
UnleashtheFURY
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1078

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
MMA's Galento.
Pretty much... Say what you want about that guy, he hit pretty hard... Even if that's the only thing he did right.
UnleashtheFURY is online now  Top
Old 02-22-2015, 08:05 PM   #20
UnleashtheFURY
Champion
East Side Guru

Tank KO'd once Iron Chinned Cabbage Correira something that Sylvia, or Arlovski couldn't do... Mighty impressive considering he did that in his 40s years past his "best"... Think if he took things more seriously(i.e not drinking beer all the time, and gorging himself of ****ty food) he could have been one of the early MMA greats, talking the early UFC era here. Imagine a 220 lb Tank with a good boxing coach in the 90s? He'd have wreaked havoc....
Old 02-22-2015, 09:05 PM   #21
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashtheFURY View Post
Pretty much... Say what you want about that guy, he hit pretty hard... Even if that's the only thing he did right.
The power, the crudeness, the unabashedly open alcoholism even during training camps or the day of fights, the arrogant scorn toward other fighters (especially the more "finessed" in their skillset and unlike him they are), and his gift of gab and colorful persona to entertain as much outside the ring/octagon as inside.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:29 PM   #22
UnleashtheFURY
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
The power, the crudeness, the unabashedly open alcoholism even during training camps or the day of fights, the arrogant scorn toward other fighters (especially the more "finessed" in their skillset and unlike him they are), and his gift of gab and colorful persona to entertain as much outside the ring/octagon as inside.

I prefer those days of MMA, the sport has lost a lot of it's spark in the last decade or so
Old 02-22-2015, 11:40 PM   #23
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashtheFURY View Post

I prefer those days of MMA, the sport has lost a lot of it's spark in the last decade or so
Absolutely. I've been saying for years, the hybridized product White strove to create is watered-down and less interesting conceptually (hooray, another combat sport to cut into and dilute the already marginalized and trivial market share that boxing and kickboxing enjoy in the sports media - and unlike either of those, it comes with all the best aspects of wrestling or jiu-jitsu, if you are into that sort of thing...and if you aren't, too bad, since 90% of fights go to ground ) than what the original UFC format provided, which basically was the wet dream of every martial arts fan (or avid player of video games like Virtua Fighter, SFII, or Tekken) until then.

Yes, it was chaos, but that was the point. It was fun.

Present day MMA isn't fun. It hasn't been since it became present day MMA, IMO.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:26 AM   #24
UnleashtheFURY
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Absolutely. I've been saying for years, the hybridized product White strove to create is watered-down and less interesting conceptually (hooray, another combat sport to cut into and dilute the already marginalized and trivial market share that boxing and kickboxing enjoy in the sports media - and unlike either of those, it comes with all the best aspects of wrestling or jiu-jitsu, if you are into that sort of thing...and if you aren't, too bad, since 90% of fights go to ground ) than what the original UFC format provided, which basically was the wet dream of every martial arts fan (or avid player of video games like Virtua Fighter, SFII, or Tekken) until then.

Yes, it was chaos, but that was the point. It was fun.

Present day MMA isn't fun. It hasn't been since it became present day MMA, IMO.
Agreed, it lost a lot of it's fun/spark when DW/Zuffa modernized it and have done their darn best to make it appear as a real sport. I still tune in, and can find enjoyment in it from time to time, but it's not what it used to be. Sometimes you get a really fun fight, and some nice knockouts.. But those are becoming less and less frequent.... The addition of WMMA has made it even less enjoyable for me..

During the early days it had the feel of a real life "Kumite" All sorts of styles going head to head, the colorful personalities as you said. I still hope that another org rises up in Japan that brings that aspect back... Would be nice.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:24 PM   #25
Babality
KTFO!!!!!!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Terrible fighter.
Babality is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum