Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 04-28-2014, 12:22 PM   #1
baconmaker
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Infighting/bodypunching tips

Hi I have problems to keep my eye contact to the opponet, when im throwing body shots. It makes me vulnerable to get hit inside by uppercuts. I can't see my opponet punches, because i'm looking his stomach and not up to his head. Anyone know good tips how to fix this issue? Thanks.
baconmaker is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
Meazy-E
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: Infighting/bodypunching tips

I like to pack em up, touch the head with 3 or 4 get em blocking and then go right around them elbows and try to hit floating ribs, I dropped my buddy on several occasions doing this. I also like to be at a bit of a distance when touching the head, then step in/around for my body punch. Being at a bit of a distance helps keep an eye on him, but if you have to put you read into their chest, bring your back hand around to block the opposite side of your face, and have a bit of a raised should should keep you pretty well defended till you use that arm to punch, at which point I shift my other Han to its position
Meazy-E is offline  Top
Old 04-28-2014, 02:03 PM   #3
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

lol......why do you need eye contact?

I was at a boxing event last year and some novice boxers in the crowd were yelling "eye contact, eye contact". It ain't Salsa dancing fools! What benefit does eye contact have?....none.

If you're looking at his head....do you think that will help you see an uppercut coming from below?

Novice boxers often look low - stomach level as you describe. A good inside fighter will have his head approximately at his opponent's chest so he has a better view of the opponents arms/shoulders in order to evade punches.

So don't try to look at his head. Just look a few inches up to get a better, wider vantage point to see his punches coming.

There's not really any tips to "fix" this. Just plain don't do it. Force yourself to watch your opponent.

I know looking low is natural for novices (myself included, when i started). For example, some novices treat inside fighting as an opportunity to simply trade punches, and hope for the best. That's why they do it blindly, dishing out punches and accepting that they will get hit back.
More experienced boxers know they can dish out a combo, and still evade punches the same way they do on the outside.

This is all about your frame of mind when it comes to inside fighting. Is it simply an opportunity to lean in and trade shots when you're tired, or is there a smart way to do it while avoiding punishment?

Watch any pro fight when they get in a clinch. They aren't just trading shots and taking some back. They dish out a combo, and when the opponent returns, they are actively blocking, rolling, ducking, slipping, stepping around (that's a big one) - but just in close contact.
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 04-28-2014, 04:02 PM   #4
baconmaker
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Thanks. I'll try that looking to chest to get better view of the punches. I like to move forward, use head movement and push me close to the opponet and trade punches/let my hands go. Like dirty fighting "I take you out, or you take me out", but in sparring its with 50% power.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:32 PM   #5
Lartize
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2468

I watch their eyes. If I see them look at anything I will make them pay for it with feints. Personally I like to set up the jab a lot and work behind that.. so when I see someones eyes shift to my left hand, then I know they are trying to play catch up in the mind game department.

Im sure other people will disagree or have their own spots they watch, but I feel like it lets me know what they are thinking the best.
Lartize is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2014, 11:03 PM   #6
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

lol....to each their own.

Although when you're in close quarters, your faces are literally a couple of inches away.
So the only benefit I see to maintaining eye contact at that distance would be that, it could make your opponent feel extremely awkward.

Why not take it a step further, and press your crotch against his crotch and start to grind a little. That would surely take him off his game.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:01 PM   #7
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

get your lead shoulder into his chest, get your body sideways. Can't get hit with uppercuts that way. If you are square and leaning forward you cannot avoid eating uppercuts.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Old 05-01-2014, 06:36 AM   #8
Lartize
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speechless View Post
lol....to each their own.

Although when you're in close quarters, your faces are literally a couple of inches away.
So the only benefit I see to maintaining eye contact at that distance would be that, it could make your opponent feel extremely awkward.

Why not take it a step further, and press your crotch against his crotch and start to grind a little. That would surely take him off his game.

I guess I was thinking of mid-range and long.. up close its more their torso mid-section. As for the grinding.. Hey man.. whatever it takes to get into their mind and get them off their game. In all honest, I do a lot to try to throw people off their game.

If I do something and you respond to it, I know what you are thinking about and can more easily start following your train of thought.
Lartize is offline  Top
Old 05-01-2014, 07:47 AM   #9
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Notice the difference, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
scrap is offline  Top
Old 05-01-2014, 11:59 AM   #10
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lartize View Post

If I do something and you respond to it, I know what you are thinking about and can more easily start following your train of thought.
Yeah, just as long as it doesn't backfire on you....i.e. recipcrocal grinding...
Old 05-01-2014, 09:48 PM   #11
Lartize
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speechless View Post
Yeah, just as long as it doesn't backfire on you....i.e. recipcrocal grinding...
You mean like in the Broner vs Maidana fight? haha
Lartize is offline  Top
Old 05-01-2014, 10:06 PM   #12
lepinthehood
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
Notice the difference, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
look to the body when smashing to the body and the head when your smashing to the head.
lepinthehood is offline  Top
Old 05-01-2014, 10:31 PM   #13
Lartize
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepinthehood View Post
look to the body when smashing to the body and the head when your smashing to the head.

and that is why I watch the eyes. I would know that you aren't prioritizing the head when I see you look low. I would have a really good idea of where you are throwing.

I am a bit more counter-punching orientated though, so maybe that has something to do with it.
Lartize is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2014, 11:12 AM   #14
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lartize View Post
and that is why I watch the eyes. I would know that you aren't prioritizing the head when I see you look low. I would have a really good idea of where you are throwing.

I am a bit more counter-punching orientated though, so maybe that has something to do with it.
You need to stop looking at he eyes once you start fighting good boxers. Most guys know that the other fighter is looking at the chest, but STILL throw eye feints as a habit. I do it all the time even though the other guy isn't even looking at my eyes. And looking at the eyes won't help you against someone who goes body-head/head-body consistently.

Also, if you look at the chest consistently and the other guy is trying to read your eyes, it's impossible to tell whether you're targeting the body or head.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2014, 12:05 PM   #15
baconmaker
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
get your lead shoulder into his chest, get your body sideways. Can't get hit with uppercuts that way. If you are square and leaning forward you cannot avoid eating uppercuts.
Thanks man. I tried it today and it seems to work.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing