Old 06-11-2014, 10:39 AM   #1
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Sonny Liston TKO 6 Mike DeJohn 1959

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

United Press International, February 19, 1959:

Heavyweight contender Sonny Liston, with 16 straight victories under his belt, apologized today for uppercutting Big Mike DeJohn while he was "down," and yelled for a fight with a higher ranking contender. "I want Eddie Machen, Zora Folley or Nino Valdes for my next fight," declared Liston of Philadelphia, who floored DeJohn of Syracuse, N.Y., twice Wednesday night with solar-plexus punches for a technical knockout in the sixth round of their TV fight. After referee Jimmy Peerless had stopped the bout at 2:43 of the sixth round before 3,858 at the Miami Beach Exhibition Hall, the fight was almost resumed in DeJohn's corner. When the victorious Philadelphian danced across the ring to shake hands with vanquished Mike, DeJohn refused to shake and angrily accused Sonny of uppercutting him when down on one knee the second time. Mike called Sonny a name. Liston swung at him and missed. Then their handlers separated them. Liston, weighing 209 pounds and standing 6-feet-1, admitted later, "Yes, I uppercutted him all right, but I didn't know he had a knee on the floor. I thought he was just squattin' like he did a couple of times earlier. I'm sorry about it but he's so tall, I didn't realize he had a knee down." Sonny was favorite at 12-5.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2014, 12:45 AM   #2
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: Sonny Liston TKO 6 Mike DeJohn 1959

bump
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #3
edward morbius
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49 View Post
bump
Just a comment Suzie.

I have never seen the Liston-DeJohn fight, but I notice DeJohn lasted longer in this one fight with Liston than Williams (or Patterson) did in two.

DeJohn was certainly no more than a second-tier contender, but I think he showed more power than Cleveland Williams ever did with his one round blow-outs of Miteff and Powell.
edward morbius is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2014, 02:00 PM   #4
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Here's DeJohn a few fights later against hard punching, hard-punch-eating Charlie Powell...

Seamus is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2014, 03:25 PM   #5
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Here's DeJohn a few fights later against hard punching, hard-punch-eating Charlie Powell...

Hard eating? Just a naturally big guy. Tremendous athlete.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2014, 07:46 PM   #6
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
Hard eating? Just a naturally big guy. Tremendous athlete.
He ate some hard shots against DeJohn... and others he fought.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2014, 07:52 PM   #7
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Red face Re: Sonny Liston TKO 6 Mike DeJohn 1959

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
He ate some hard shots against DeJohn... and others he fought.
My mind totally blocked that out. Bet he wishes he was sacking Bobby Lane again...
Old 06-27-2014, 08:10 PM   #8
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
My mind totally blocked that out. Bet he wishes he was sacking Bobby Lane again...
Athletes are better off sticking to their games.

Boxing ain't a game.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2014, 08:27 PM   #9
edward morbius
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Powell did give athleticism a bad name in boxing, didn't he.

I actually read an article which claimed him as one of the greatest athletes ever.

Seems to be a bit overstated. In just his own day Otto Graham was not only quite a bit better at football, but had been a two time all-American at basketball. Hardly ever hear anyone call Graham a great athlete despite his achievements.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:43 PM   #10
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 10000

Was the 'name'...you know?

DeJohn was a white guy and it was the 50's, so it warrants being asked.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2014, 09:09 PM   #11
edward morbius
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Was the 'name'...you know?

DeJohn was a white guy and it was the 50's, so it warrants being asked.

I don't know what you are trying to say, but my point is that Powell really didn't look that athletic in a boxing ring, and his performances were generally pretty ordinary.

Lumping him with great athletes like Thorpe, Jimmy Brown, Sanders, etc., not to mention contemporaries like Graham or Jackie Jenson (all-American in football and MVP in baseball) seems to me a bit of a stretch.

By the way, I also saw him play football for San Francisco and Oakland, and I don't remember him being all that outstanding at all.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:48 PM   #12
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward morbius View Post
I don't know what you are trying to say, but my point is that Powell really didn't look that athletic in a boxing ring, and his performances were generally pretty ordinary.

Lumping him with great athletes like Thorpe, Jimmy Brown, Sanders, etc., not to mention contemporaries like Graham or Jackie Jenson (all-American in football and MVP in baseball) seems to me a bit of a stretch.

By the way, I also saw him play football for San Francisco and Oakland, and I don't remember him being all that outstanding at all.
But he passes the eye test which is much more important than actual performance.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2014, 10:15 PM   #13
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He was a fine athlete. Not top tier: Milt Campbell was the same age won a silver in the decathlon at 18, gold four years later and shared the world record in the 110 hurdles, was an All American swimmer, played a little football, and he wouldn't crack the top 10 in North America all time. Or how about Lionel Conacher who played professional hockey, Canadian football, pro lacrosse, the equivalent of AAA baseball, and won amateur titles in wrestling and boxing. There's a guy that gets left out. Jaroslav Drobney was an Olympic hockey player and won a Wimbledon title. So if we're holding him up to that standard than no.

But amongst boxers? Powell lettered 12 times in high school, and probably would have made it 16 if they allowed freshman to play. He put the shot 57' (that's the 12 pounder; he got up to 47'with the Big Boy) and placed at the California State meet. He's listed at running a 9.6 hundred but I think the 9.9 his Los Angeles obit gives him is more realistic as that time would have put him near the top of the state; as it was he was quick enough to run in relays which is iimpressive of you're 6'3" and 220 now let alone in the '50's. He played basketball well enough to be offered a tryout with the Harlem Globetrotters when they were a legitimate team and not a sideshow
He was given a $5000 signing bonus to play baseball right out of high school and he did albeit poorly. And while you may remember him as a mediocre player remember that he was doing it all off of athleticism probably as he never played college ball making his nfl debut as a 19 year old. As a boxer he was good enough to knock out Nino Valdez and earn a top 10 ranking which is more than guys like Ed Jones and Mark Gastineau could do. So while I don't rank him with the top tier I think I would feel safe calling him the most athletic (in the broad sense) boxer of the 20th century.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:32 PM   #14
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Again, just proof that the contemporary definition of athleticism is woefully lacking or that this mystical quality doesn't count for shit in the sport of boxing.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2014, 10:40 PM   #15
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I don't think athleticism counts for much in most sports. Is better to be good player than good athlete.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum