Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #16
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Tyson vs Mercer

Tyson should dominate Mercer at any stage, Mercer is solid all rounder but I don't see what Mercer does that bothers Tyson, he isn't bigger, he's much slower, his workrate isn't high. Mercer was more done than Tyson by this stage
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2012, 09:13 AM   #17
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 4120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzer85 View Post
If its a stupid question, what the **** are you doing on my thread?
why dont you go elsewhere? theres plenty of Ali threads where u can do some Ali bashing

The reason i asked the question, is, if youd actually read the title. They were supposed to fight during that time but Tyson went for Lewis instead,

Tyson was much better conditioned for the Holyfield remtach, you can tell that by the shape he was in.
i guess i don't pay as much attention 2 men's shape as much as u do , and i think i pay that attention very much .
i guess that i was more interested and concentrated at watching them fight each other .

if u call ali bashing 2 what i do , i guess that u r .. u .
i read your whole opening post of d thread , just like i had this 1 i m also replying 2 right now .

i meant that i think that tyson still enjoys his youth advantage in this fight . When he didn't , u know , McBride & Williams but also BMJ and Clifford Etienne . But sometimes he even lost while being d younger men like with Douglas , Holyfield & Lewis .
I think Mercer whom was even older than Holyfield and not much bigger if at all (yes much fatter) was not as formidable overall as much as Holyfield was (punching power & punch resistance) and (well , in Mercer's defense Tyson already lost 2 a man whom lost 2 Jesse Fergusson) not as big as Douglas & Lewis so his only choice will b 2 go 2 war with Tyson .
Tubbs , Berbick , Bruno , BMJ & Marvis Frazier tried something similar 2 what Mercer would have probably tried .

BTW , in addition 2 actually beating Mercer , Fergusson also did better vs Holmes , despite having a smaller youth advantage over him .

I believe that if Tyson and Mercer fought , d Mercer myth would have been put 2 n end .

Mercer was no Holyfield and couldn't do what Holyfield did despite Mercer 2 me did better than Holyfield against Cooper . (But) Due cheating Holyfield was abble 2 hammer Cooper in2 submission after recovering (same thing Xactly as Moorer vs Cooper) and while Mercer knocked him down , he couldn't destroy him .
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #18
salty trunks
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend X View Post
What happened to Mercer in 1997 ?

He was coming off the back of his best fights in 1995-1996 and then he just fell off the radar.
After those two fights noone wanted to touch him. He couldnt get a title shot and he just helped both Holyfield and Lewis by losing close decisions to them. They were the bigger names. He was stuck facing Tim Witherspoon and winning a controversial decision there. Then it gave everyone else an excuse to avoid him.
Tyson respected Ray, they were pretty close friends. I think Tyson would have prepared for Mercer and still had enough to beat him. Ray just didnt have the overall skills to take Tyson apart like Holyfield did around this time, so I see Tyson beating him up for 10 rounds.
salty trunks is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #19
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Tyson should dominate Mercer at any stage, Mercer is solid all rounder but I don't see what Mercer does that bothers Tyson, he isn't bigger, he's much slower, his workrate isn't high. Mercer was more done than Tyson by this stage
Yeah, Holyfield also showed us how open Mercer is for a left hook over the top. I would bet Tyson would be the first to stop Mercer.
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #20
FlyingFrenchman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

2002- both past prime... Tyson TKO9

Prime vs. Prime- Tyson W12... Mercer could last. He took f-ing bombs from Morrison and Lewis and didn't buckle. He took good shots from Bert Cooper and Witherspoon and never came close to going down either. Holy dropped him but it wasn't a clean KD... off balance, went down to avoid getting hit with combo, got right up.
FlyingFrenchman is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2012, 12:43 AM   #21
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Mercer/Tyson shouldve happened if Tyson`s" managers" knew what they were doing. Right after he came out of jail and beat McNeely and Mathis they shoud have gone after a guy like Mercer.

Ray had an awesome chin was strong and tough. He was also kind of slow and his power was a little overated. This fight would have given Mike Tyson some rounds to shake off ring rust and it would done alot for his confidence.

Tyson wouldve probably won a decision because he was more skilled and the more talented boxer. When you have Don King as your manager he isnt going to make the best decisions for the fighter.

Anyway this bout shoudve happened in `96.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2014, 12:24 AM   #22
Ali Frazier
KO ARTIST
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 366

Prime Tyson? KO 4
2002 Tyson? KO 9
Ali Frazier is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2014, 03:28 AM   #23
Big Ukrainian
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Some guys say - Tyson KO 9 in 2002.

You must be kidding, right?
Because Tyson was 1-2 round fighter from Nielsen fight in 2001, that's a fact.
Against Nielsen he looked very good in 1st rd, not so good in 2-3rd, and spent in 4-6 rds which were even, and then suddenly totally out-of shape Nielsen claimed injury and quit on stool.

Against Lewis Tyson only won 1st round, and from 2nd rd he took brutal beating.

Danny Williams started to connect in 2nd rd, and clearly won 3rd and got KO in 4th. (Yes I know about knee).

2002 version of Tyson was 10% of prime Tyson and 30% of 1995-96 Tyson.

He had no stamina at all, and became much, much slower.

So if Mike beats this 41 y.o. Mercer, it would be only because Ray also hadn't stamina at that time.

And it won't end by KO, it would last 10 rds with Mike winning early rounds as he still was faster, and late rounds woulb be only clinches without much action and effective punches.
Big Ukrainian is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2014, 08:37 AM   #24
grumpy old man
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Brutal matchup. I got Tyson by stoppage after some stand on your seat action.
grumpy old man is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #25
Big Ukrainian
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan Man View Post
Morrison was beating Mercer pretty comprehensively before his chin let him down. Tyson has much better chin than Tommy and taken bigger shots than Mercer dishes.
Different Tyson and different Mercer, too. Both totally shot I also think Tyson wins, but it won't be exciting, in 2002 they were two spent fighters whose prime years ended 10 or more yrs ago.
Big Ukrainian is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2014, 05:55 PM   #26
heizenberg
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

It's hard to really pick a winner if these two met in 2002 both were shot at this time. It would be an entertaining clash at any stage in their careers. When I'd like to have seen it most would've been around 1996-1997 when Tyson had just got out of prison and wasn't the same as he was in his prime but was still a very good fighter in his own right and Mercer seemed to be peaking with good performances against Holyfield, Lewis and Witherspoon. At this time I think it would've been a very good action fight and probably would provide brutal give and take as long as the fight last with potential of it going a full 12 rounds. I'd have to pick Tyson to win at this stage probably on points as it is hard to see anyone knocking out Mercer at this time. But like his 2nd fight with Ruddock, it would be a war throughout with Tyson dishing out a tone of punishment to Mercer but taking a lot back as well. It would be interesting though to see if at this stage in Tyson's career he'd have the character that he had when fighting Ruddock to deal with a war into the later rounds perhaps he would crumble and Mercer would be able to pound him out late
heizenberg is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2014, 05:55 PM   #27
markclitheroe
TyrellBiggsnumberonefan.
ESB Senior Member

For what its worth Azzer i think its a tough one to call.
At the timeline you suggest i think Ray's durability makes it a tough one for Tyson who had little left after the early rounds by then.
Early nineties would have been a good match up.
Mercer was inconsistent but the Mercer who fought Lennox would have given most versions of Tyson an interesting match up.
markclitheroe is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2014, 06:02 PM   #28
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

vCash: 93

Its a shame we never saw Tyson against a come forward brawler in his prime. Ruddock could be argued but he didn't bring it like Mercer would of.

Mike would of given Mercer a horrible bashing imo
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2014, 06:49 PM   #29
heerko koois
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Tyson ko 2 mercer
heerko koois is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2014, 08:25 PM   #30
Todd498
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Tyson at his best would have UD Mercer at his best. With Ray having some moments here and there. But I don't see Tyson KOing a prime Mercer. 2002 I think it's a 50/50 fight. I can see Mike hurting Ray and going for the kill multiple times, but Ray would weather the storm. Mercer would have a chance to jump on a tired Tyson in the later rounds. Possibly get the stoppage. If not, Mike takes a close decision.
Todd498 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum