Old 03-22-2011, 11:35 PM   #61
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jerry Quarry vs Rocky Marciano, primes

Quote:
Originally Posted by yancey View Post
Come on, Frazier was just being respectful to Louis and Marciano with that statement.

Frazier would break down Marciano bit by bit and the end (somewhere around the 9th) would be quite brutal. Rocky's best hope against a machine like prime Frazier would be to land something real big real early. Otherwise, he gets ground down.
LOve Frazier just cant see him taking the Suzie-Q for long
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2011, 11:44 PM   #62
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
And I envision you in a church kneeling at a Marciano alter ...
He is one of my favorites but so is Sam Langford, Jersey Joe Walcott, Ezz Charles, Roberto Duran,Marvin Hagler, Monzon,Bennie Briscoe,Wille Pep, Basilio,SRR,Conn,Tunney,Greb,Walker,Moore,Frazier,Dempsey,Baer,Joe Louis,Ali but for some reason Marciano is hated the most...I think one because he is an undefeated Heavyweight Champ, is Italian American and white, and a 5"11 freak with crazy power and heart and stamina.....I kneel before no man only God but I respect a lot of fighter than I perceive as great but it doubles when they like Joe Louis and Marciano and Frazier, + others are also great men inside
Old 03-23-2011, 01:26 AM   #63
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Bum,

Time machine fantasies do work.

Marciano was over 200 pounds early, but his handlers slimmed his ass down to the mid 180s... Marciano was best there for his size... Would a high calorie diet and steroids suit Rocco better if he was 208 pounds? I doubt it...

Training differs, but while Vitali Klit has been nailed for steroids use in the past, I believe since his 2008 return that he has been clean and naturally trained, and still weighs 250 pounds. The only difference between V.K. of now and then is, his body doesn't have that overly ripped tone that was present 10 yrs ago. V.K. looks good and fit at age 39 unlike no other heavyweight aside from Evan Fields...

Steroids are abused and also over-played in modern times.... Some guys who are naturally smaller but want to compete higher up turn to steroids, but a natural sized man competeing in his natural weight class really doesn't need them...

I'm not sure steroids enhance stamina... Lotsa' rumored users have gased out before 12 rds is up... Evan Fields has been inconsitent over the yrs...

Anyway, I believe in natural training methods and making a weight that indicates low body fat without losing strength...

Also, Marciano looked finely tuned and best for his size when he was around 184 to 190 pounds during the early to mid-50s.....

Marciano was indeed damn near 46 in '69 for the comp fight with Ali, but Marciano did really train for three month and dropped lotsa' weight in camp, but still came in at an announce 200 pounds even. 200 pounds at age 46 was not bad for the aged Marciano, but despite his hardcore training in the summer of '69, Marciano was a tad too thick in the girth at 200 pounds... Again, I know he was pushing age 46...

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2011, 09:50 AM   #64
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBILL View Post
Bum,

Time machine fantasies do work.

Marciano was over 200 pounds early, but his handlers slimmed his ass down to the mid 180s... Marciano was best there for his size... Would a high calorie diet and steroids suit Rocco better if he was 208 pounds? I doubt it...

Training differs, but while Vitali Klit has been nailed for steroids use in the past, I believe since his 2008 return that he has been clean and naturally trained, and still weighs 250 pounds. The only difference between V.K. of now and then is, his body doesn't have that overly ripped tone that was present 10 yrs ago. V.K. looks good and fit at age 39 unlike no other heavyweight aside from Evan Fields...

Steroids are abused and also over-played in modern times.... Some guys who are naturally smaller but want to compete higher up turn to steroids, but a natural sized man competeing in his natural weight class really doesn't need them...

I'm not sure steroids enhance stamina... Lotsa' rumored users have gased out before 12 rds is up... Evan Fields has been inconsitent over the yrs...

Anyway, I believe in natural training methods and making a weight that indicates low body fat without losing strength...

Also, Marciano looked finely tuned and best for his size when he was around 184 to 190 pounds during the early to mid-50s.....

Marciano was indeed damn near 46 in '69 for the comp fight with Ali, but Marciano did really train for three month and dropped lotsa' weight in camp, but still came in at an announce 200 pounds even. 200 pounds at age 46 was not bad for the aged Marciano, but despite his hardcore training in the summer of '69, Marciano was a tad too thick in the girth at 200 pounds... Again, I know he was pushing age 46...

MR.BILL
There are many ways to put on muscle and it adds up to weigh while at the same time you can lose inches...running the way Marciano did before fights actually took away muscle.

I have been on both side of it. I have friends who lost weight and muscle with a heavy running regime and also gained muscle and weight, hitting the heavy bag, doing pull ups, push ups and some weights (wall pulleys) but eating everything in site.

I have no doubt Marciano could have gained solid muscle with a Macky Shillstone type of muscle gain and wind sprint training and eliminate the marathon.

5"9 James Toney look solid at 209lbs when he KO'd Holyfield with a few body shots but after that he just kept eating but even that fat version was seconds away from KO'ing the 6"2 Rahman who quit because of a cut.

The mentality in the heavyweight division in the days of Louis and Marciano was to be in 15 rd condition until the final bell and guys like Walcott, slim and Fit Charles,Lastarza and most of the top guys where all dangerous until the final bell in a fast paced fight.

Even Ali who was 6'2 to 6"3 at his fittest was 210-215lbs

Today other than the very fit Klitschko's heavy's are lucky if the can fight 6 rds at a decent pace, yet even when the Klitschko's are really pressured they broke down in the past. Lennox Lewis as big as he, never KO'd a man after the 8th Rd. and Mike Tyson did only once against trail horse Ribalta TKO

another thing the best fighters of the 90's could not do is get off the floor to win (Lewis nor Tyson could do this in there careers.

The bigger fighters are not always the best look at Nino Valdez, Bob Baker,Coley Wallace,Jim Beattie, of the 50's Look at 6'6' 245lb Bubby Baer of the 40's, he was smoke by Louis...look at Primo vs Louis, look at Willard vs Dempsey.

I do not underestimate the heavy's of today but also I do not overlook the great hard and fit 15 rd. Heavyweight of the past
Old 03-24-2011, 01:03 AM   #65
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Bum,

Believe me, I prefer old school techniques of training rather than leaning to this more modern scientific approach...

I first noticed training of athletes was changing when I saw "Rocky 4" back in 1985. I prefer Balboa's method than that of Drago's preparation.

Yes, I know, in real life Stallone is a juicer and does do hi-tech / modern style training, but in the film he was supposedly training old fashioned.

I never suspected a fighter / boxer of juicing until I started seeing Evan "Holy" Fields looking insanely pumped and ripped and posing with Lee Haney at times. I knew then something wasn't kosher in Denmark.

I thought James Toney looked fine at 217 for Holy in 2003. Too bad Toney had to eat his way outta that weight, cuz he looks like Porky Pig at 235. Toney's physique is the worst I've seen from a dude who's juiced before.

I thought George Foreman looked really good in 1987 and 1988 when he was weighing between 243 to 245 pounds for his fights with "Sekorski & Trane" on ESPN. I wish he could've maintained that weight, cuz even though he was fit and pumped for Holy in 1991 at 257 pounds, he had that thick mid-section with love handles. Foreman is a hulk, but he cannot properly carry 250+ pounds without appearing soft in the girth area.

Aside from the K-brothers, Dave Haye and Evan "Holy" Fields, no other heavyweights wanna properly diet and train and come into a fight in tip-top shape... That sad in recent years, too...

NOTE:

I'm still fascinated to this day how Jimmy Jeff was reported to be 300+ pounds on New Years day 1910, only to go into hardcore training to make 227 pounds by July 4, 1910, so he could challenge Jack Johnson in Reno, Nev... Of course he lost the fight by 15th round TKO, but even the aging 35 year old Jeff who challenged Johnson in that desert heat would beaten many other fighters of lesser caliber than Johnson that day... I'm sure of it...

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 03-26-2011, 01:57 PM   #66
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBILL View Post
Bum,

Believe me, I prefer old school techniques of training rather than leaning to this more modern scientific approach...

I first noticed training of athletes was changing when I saw "Rocky 4" back in 1985. I prefer Balboa's method than that of Drago's preparation.

Yes, I know, in real life Stallone is a juicer and does do hi-tech / modern style training, but in the film he was supposedly training old fashioned.

I never suspected a fighter / boxer of juicing until I started seeing Evan "Holy" Fields looking insanely pumped and ripped and posing with Lee Haney at times. I knew then something wasn't kosher in Denmark.

I thought James Toney looked fine at 217 for Holy in 2003. Too bad Toney had to eat his way outta that weight, cuz he looks like Porky Pig at 235. Toney's physique is the worst I've seen from a dude who's juiced before.

I thought George Foreman looked really good in 1987 and 1988 when he was weighing between 243 to 245 pounds for his fights with "Sekorski & Trane" on ESPN. I wish he could've maintained that weight, cuz even though he was fit and pumped for Holy in 1991 at 257 pounds, he had that thick mid-section with love handles. Foreman is a hulk, but he cannot properly carry 250+ pounds without appearing soft in the girth area.

Aside from the K-brothers, Dave Haye and Evan "Holy" Fields, no other heavyweights wanna properly diet and train and come into a fight in tip-top shape... That sad in recent years, too...

NOTE:

I'm still fascinated to this day how Jimmy Jeff was reported to be 300+ pounds on New Years day 1910, only to go into hardcore training to make 227 pounds by July 4, 1910, so he could challenge Jack Johnson in Reno, Nev... Of course he lost the fight by 15th round TKO, but even the aging 35 year old Jeff who challenged Johnson in that desert heat would beaten many other fighters of lesser caliber than Johnson that day... I'm sure of it...

MR.BILL
The amazing story with Jeffries is that he had to lose 100lbs at the age of 36 not having a fight in 5 years and with out a tune-up fought the Heavyweight Champion vs Johnson...I guess we need examples like Jeffries to tell us what not to do...now Vitali came back after 4 years but he mantained his fighting weight during his absence ...one thing about the Klitschko's to their credit they honor the sport by respecting the virtues of condition
Old 06-11-2014, 06:56 PM   #67
Ali Frazier
KO ARTIST
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 361

Talk about a blood bath..lol
Chins like stones, skin like wet toilet paper.

I love Jerry and Rocky to death, my favorite white boxers. But the constant flurry of Rocky wailing on your head,neck,shoulders, body would be all too much for Quarry after about oh...8 to 10 rounds and I base that on Quarry's heart alone.
Ali Frazier is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum