Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 04-20-2008, 04:56 AM   #16
dwilson

vCash:
Default Re: Calzaghe vs. Hopkins - Post fight analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt2006
Good win for JC and showed Bhops to be a boring spoiler.

Bhops was negative for most the fight, using his head and the low blow b/s was utter shit.

The post fight interview with Bhops showed he is heading the same way as Holyfield. He was talking utter crap about how he schooled JC and how the crowd knew who the real victor was. Just a shame as the crowd came to see a boxing match not a wrestling match, JC was the only one willing to fight whilst Phops was happy to clinch and hug JC every chance he got.

Hopkins always spouts out that rubbish after he loses. According to him he is undefeated. His first fight does not count and the other losses were robberies.

Last edited by joe33; 05-27-2007 at 03:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2008, 04:58 AM   #17
kurt2006
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilson
Hopkins always spouts out that rubbish after he loses. According to him he is undefeated. His first fight does not count and the other losses were robberies.

He has always been boring to watch, I began to warm to after the bbc bunce interview but he can talk some shit.

Good to see JC thank the crowd, would have been nice if he had given a special big shout out to the lads who paid him double the face value for the crappy seats at the back.
kurt2006 is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 05:01 AM   #18
Max Molyneux
Liverpool Liver Tickler
ESB Addict

vCash: 1241

Not a close fight at all, Hopkins holding, using the head and little amounts of single shots do not make a fight close.

Cortez needs suspending, that was awful refereeing.
Max Molyneux is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 05:09 AM   #19
dwilson

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt2006
He has always been boring to watch, I began to warm to after the bbc bunce interview but he can talk some shit.

Good to see JC thank the crowd, would have been nice if he had given a special big shout out to the lads who paid him double the face value for the crappy seats at the back.

Yep. That story will go down in legend more than anything he accomplishes in the ring. Someone should add it on Wikkipedia.

Hopkins fought his fight but came up against a better opponent.

Cortez is a nob.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:08 AM   #20
Claypole
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 922

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonOli
At times it was a little embarrassing, joe was all over the shop; out on his feat.
Are you sure you were watching the right fight?
Claypole is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 06:16 AM   #21
RichDam
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

It was a very difficult fight to score. I can understand why both fighters thought they won the fight. I had Hopkins just edging it, but will have to watch it again.
RichDam is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 06:27 AM   #22
Naidah

Can't argue with the decision, it could have gone either way, I scored it 115-113 in favour of Hopkins. Just felt B-Hop looked the more accomplished fighter in there, he was catching JC with genuine scoring shots throughout the fight and showed excellent footwork and defensive skills. I thought Hopkins won the first 4 rounds and was well in control. Fair play to Calzaghe for coming back into the fight and simply outworking Hopkins, even though most of the quality shots were coming from the executioner.

I think Hopkins slowed down after the first 4 and that's when Calzaghe started to come into the fight, the 43 year old simply didn't have it in him. I'm disappointed in a sense that Calzaghe won the fight not by showing greater skill, but really because he was the younger, fresher man with more left in the tank. I wanted Calzaghe to win really convicingly and thought he would in fairness. Hopkins suprised me, his quick hands also surprised me and I suggest probably JC himself.

I think both these guys will go down as great fighters and credit has to be given to Calzaghe for getting off the floor and turning the fight around.
Naidah is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 07:25 AM   #23
somerset
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I thought 115-113 Calz.

But Joe was exposed somewhat by Hops. To the extent that prime-for-prime I reckon Bernard wins.

Fortunately there's no-one else tougher to fight nowadays that Hops.

If the next fight is the last for Joe, I'd like to see it somewhere closer. Like Britain or New York. Maybe Las Vegas distance and altitude did have an effect too.
somerset is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 07:47 AM   #24
Dan MT
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

115 - 113 to Joe for me.

Wasn't the best of fights but Hopkins game plan worked a treat and if he got another knock down which he could have it would have been his fight. One of my friends scored it a draw which I thought it could have been too.

Hopefully Joe has a homecoming fight and goes out at the top where he belongs.
Dan MT is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum