Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 08-05-2014, 08:06 AM   #1
moog
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Is Peter Harrison the best all round boxing coach in the UK?

Peter Harrison trained Charlie Flynn since he was a boy to commonwealth gold, has trained multiple world champions in the pros, including his son who was the first boxer from Britain to win a medal at the World Amateurs. He has a great track record coaching amateurs and pros, and always seems to have great game plans for his boxers. He has trained many outstanding boxers from youth level all the way through, their is not many that do that. He also mentored one of Britain's best coaches in Billy Nelson, who Billy learned a lot from. Wonder what more he would have done if he had a bigger talent pool to work with? So is he the most all rounded boxing coach in the UK? If not he must be damn close to being so
moog is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is Peter Harrison the best all round boxing coach in the UK?

a nice man who had a great concern for his son too and also expressed to me at the SBHOF in 2008 what a 'racket' this sport is and too many lads don't get a chance to progress fairly. therefore denying not only the fighter(s) but equally the Fans and BOXING itself!!!
thistle1 is online now  Top
Old 08-05-2014, 04:46 PM   #3
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by moog View Post
Peter Harrison trained Charlie Flynn since he was a boy to commonwealth gold, has trained multiple world champions in the pros, including his son who was the first boxer from Britain to win a medal at the World Amateurs. He has a great track record coaching amateurs and pros, and always seems to have great game plans for his boxers. He has trained many outstanding boxers from youth level all the way through, their is not many that do that. He also mentored one of Britain's best coaches in Billy Nelson, who Billy learned a lot from. Wonder what more he would have done if he had a bigger talent pool to work with? So is he the most all rounded boxing coach in the UK? If not he must be damn close to being so
Peter Harrison is a great coach who reads a fight excellently, ive always maintained if Peter had based himself in England when he was younger boxers would have been queing up outside the gym to be trained by him.
It will always be a issue Scotland having limited talent its just one of those things. I can only think of Scott that Peters trained from youth to top domestic level and obviously world level.
Credit must also go to Willie Downie who coached Charlie up until he was 16 or so and gave him a good grounding.
billy nelson is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2014, 04:49 PM   #4
davidmcallister
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy nelson View Post
Peter Harrison is a great coach who reads a fight excellently, ive always maintained if Peter had based himself in England when he was younger boxers would have been queing up outside the gym to be trained by him.
It will always be a issue Scotland having limited talent its just one of those things. I can only think of Scott that Peters trained from youth to top domestic level and obviously world level.
Credit must also go to Willie Downie who coached Charlie up until he was 16 or so and gave him a good grounding.
I was just about to say that, Charlie was a very good boxer before joining Peter, since then Peter has improved him and I'm sure that Charlie will be learning lots from training alongside Scott everyday too
davidmcallister is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #5
punk
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Great trainer and also a great guy when i met him at the gomez vs arthur fight. Spoke to scott and i think he wanted to kick **** out of me for it.
punk is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2014, 04:56 PM   #6
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk View Post
Great trainer and also a great guy when i met him at the gomez vs arthur fight. Spoke to scott and i think he wanted to kick **** out of me for it.
Ha Ha that sounds like Peter
billy nelson is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2014, 06:08 PM   #7
moog
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Billy Do you think it is a surprise that the top promoters don't invest in centre of excellence, so that accommodation, gym top trainers are on site for boxers. Because obviously a lot of boxers cant afford to get trained away from home. If that coaching improved the fighter say 10% on average the promoter makes his money back and more. Also allows trainers to make sure boxers lifestyles, eating habits are spot on. I know that would not be for every boxer but am sure plenty would like it. A bit like a team GB set up for pros. If such a system was in place in Scotland would you work in such a set up? Take Tony Sims, Joe Gallagher, not saying their not good coaches, but they have their strong stables because of Geography not because their better than people like you and Peter. I always thought before Rob McCracken got team GB job Peter would have best candidate. Was most qualified at time I think
moog is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum