Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-16-2014, 02:06 AM   #31
highguard
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Lost my first amateur boxing match.

u will great in future matches

1st fight almost never goes to plan
highguard is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2014, 02:09 AM   #32
Tigre Relampago
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Always start strong every fight.
Keep in mind that when the you hear the bell, you'll throw a lot of punches, taking away fear, and put your everything in every punch.

If you wait for your opponent, you'll likely get a beating.
Tigre Relampago is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2014, 05:39 PM   #33
twinwonw
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 400

I realized all in my fights I would hit softer than I do in sparring and usually little more hesitant even though I got hit really hard before many times. I sometimes look at my clips of my fights and the guys I fought aren't that skilled compared to the guys I've sparred before at other gyms.

So I guess it's mostly my nerves and mentally when it comes to fight time that makes my performance go down. But I think with every fight I had the nerves are going down little by little, so hopefully my fifth fight will be less anxious than previous fights.
twinwonw is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2014, 12:41 AM   #34
ad23

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinwonw View Post
Hello, I finally had my first amateur boxing match at 165 lb yesterday. I've been training for a real long time, but I think the nerves kinda got to me when the fight started so I wasn't really able to do what I would usually able to do in sparring.

Just wanted to say it still feels great to have my first fight and hopefully in my next fight I won't be as nervous.
Don't worry about the first fight, don't even worry about the first couple of fights. Just work on getting comfortable in the ring.

I lost my first, I was 18 and had been training since I was 12 for it and I've got to say, as devastating as it felt, it was the best thing that could have happened to me. I learnt more in that fight than I ever have winning.

This may work for you, it may not but I found it helped me. After a couple of fights, take a break. Continue your normal training but take a break from fighting for a month or two. I felt once that edge of fighting was taken away for a month I began to relax much more and my training improved a hell of a lot and that stayed with me when it was time to fight again.

Also give yourself time to get adjusted to the scoring system of amateur fights. You may find yourself trying to do too much in the ring. A good piece of advice I was told was "you may have all the tools but sometimes all you need is a screwdriver". Keep it simple at the beginning, get used to it all and you'll be fine. Have fun man!
ad23 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing