Old 04-22-2008, 08:59 AM   #32
Beatboxer
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hatton's whipping by PBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas
Once again your probably right- He did beat some good fighters but never any elite guys but as you say that may have been through no fault of his own.
Ohh don't get me wrong mate ive held him to task before. I have criticised him in particular for not at least challenging DM when it was clear that Ottke was not going to play ball. That match for many reasons I believe could have been made. That it wasn't even mooted was very disappointing.

The point is that Calzaghe could have done more to get certain fights. But to ignore the rest of his resume and what he has done since 2006 as well as the numerous factors surrounding the proposed bouts with Hopkins and Ottke is simply ridiculous. The truth is somewhere inbetween, and personally im satisfied with how his career has went since 2006. What I can't stand is nonsensical haters who pose the weakest arguments and don't appear to have a clue about the circumstances surrounding JC's failure to fight certain names.

You brought up circumstances that ive never factored into my argumenet. You are totally right: in the early part of this decade the boxing culture seemed to be that great fighters rarely if ever fought each other. Look at DM and RJJ, observe Trinidad, Quartey etc. The big fights have been pushed far harder by promoters in recent years and I do believe the competition from UFC is to thank for that.
Beatboxer is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2008, 09:03 AM   #33
SleazeNation
Coal Black Horse
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatboxer
Ohh don't get me wrong mate ive held him to task before. I have criticised him in particular for not at least challenging DM when it was clear that Ottke was not going to play ball. That match for many reasons I believe could have been made. That it wasn't even mooted was very disappointing.

The point is that Calzaghe could have done more to get certain fights. But to ignore the rest of his resume and what he has done since 2006 as well as the numerous factors surrounding the proposed bouts with Hopkins and Ottke is simply ridiculous. The truth is somewhere inbetween, and personally im satisfied with how his career has went since 2006. What I can't stand is nonsensical haters who pose the weakest arguments and don't appear to have a clue about the circumstances surrounding JC's failure to fight certain names.

You brought up circumstances that ive never factored into my argumenet. You are totally right: in the early part of this decade the boxing culture seemed to be that great fighters rarely if ever fought each other. Look at DM and RJJ, observe Trinidad, Quartey etc. The big fights have been pushed far harder by promoters in recent years and I do believe the competition from UFC is to thank for that.
Maybe in terms of American boxing. But I thank Ricky Hatton, and leaving ******, for the state of British boxing now.
SleazeNation is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2008, 09:35 AM   #34
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Joe
Did Ryan Rhodes fight Otis Grant?
Yes good fight... Otis Schooled him.

Last edited by janitor; 05-31-2007 at 03:56 PM.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2008, 09:37 AM   #35
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleazeNation
Maybe in terms of American boxing. But I thank Ricky Hatton, and leaving ******, for the state of British boxing now.
Hatton, Calzaghe and Haye have being pioneers and all deserve real credit for their efforts. Hamed tried and failed. These guys have stepped up to the plate a suceeded.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:43 AM   #36
Fat Joe
Let's have it right
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas
Yes good fight... Otis Schooled him.
Old manned him out of it I remember Brendan Ingle saying. I was young and only just started watching boxing and with all the propoganda on Sky I thought Rhodes was gonna be a superstar because he was Naz's mate and they trained and sparred together
Fat Joe is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2008, 09:49 AM   #37
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Joe
Old manned him out of it I remember Brendan Ingle saying. I was young and only just started watching boxing and with all the propoganda on Sky I thought Rhodes was gonna be a superstar because he was Naz's mate and they trained and sparred together
It was quality and Ryan emerged with a lot of credit he was considered a can't miss and then Jason Mathews lowered the boom.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum