Old 07-18-2007, 11:39 AM   #31
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210
Default Re: Mickey Walker vs John Ruiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
I could quote what some contemporary sources said about the division last week.

Sure I think the 30s list is better. The resumes of the 30s ranked fighters are clearly superior.
You will need to do the same thing for early 1930's, as what you said above for today's heavyweights. Ie, quote some contemporary sources that claimed the division was very good.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2007, 12:27 PM   #32
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senya13
You will need to do the same thing for early 1930's, as what you said above for today's heavyweights. Ie, quote some contemporary sources that claimed the division was very good.
Let's just match up the two lists and compare their resumes.

The result will be prety clear cut.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 12:50 PM   #33
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

You will have the benefit of history-revisionism. Current crop of heavyweights will most surely be looked upon more favorably as the years pass. You have to look at contemporary opinions for comparison to be fair.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 12:58 PM   #34
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
If you think those poor top10 are better than the current one, my only advise would be for you to get some contemporary sources, Ring magazine if you can get those old issues, or just newspaper articles from the time, and see what the people from that time thought about that heavyweight division.
Ahhhhh,

Have you been paying attention to what people say on an almost daily basis about TODAY'S heavyweight division?
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 01:01 PM   #35
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
Walker beat a lot of men the size of Ruiz. Usualy in the first round.

Size alone is not going to win it for Ruiz.
Agreed,

Ruiz was horribly outboxed by a 34 year old, 5'10" 195 pound Roy Jones, who was making his heavyweight debut, and had never even fought a cruiserweight.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:08 PM   #36
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

When did Roy Jones Jr shrink by 1" of height and increased by 2lb in (official) weight? Can't get your facts correct?
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 01:13 PM   #37
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
=Senya13]When did Roy Jones Jr shrink by 1" of height and increased by 2lb in (official) weight?
Oh boy, you really got me there

Quote:
Can't get your facts correct?
Lol. You have a long way to go before you can talk to me about getting facts straight my good man.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:00 PM   #38
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobkhan
Well they were saying the same about the 30s division at the time. Not that it is true but i don´t think the today´s division is as bad as it is made up.
Understood,

Except Senya often tries to debate the inferiority of past eras by mentioning what critics said about them, at the time. My only point by bringing up today's critics, is that if he's going to pull that crap, then it works both ways
Old 07-18-2007, 04:34 PM   #39
Icemmann
Breakin it down.
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakman
Ruiz cheated his opponents, and the sport - that's what upsets me. He is exhibit A of everything wrong with this sport, a fighter who would NEVER have won more than a regional belt without his connections to King.
The coming from the guy that tries to say Evander Headbuttingfield is the best heavyweight of the last 30 years?

I don't think so.
Icemmann is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 05:30 PM   #40
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

vCash: 588

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemmann
The coming from the guy that tries to say Evander Headbuttingfield is the best heavyweight of the last 30 years?

I don't think so.
Holyfield's headbutting is WAY over-exagerated, primarily by Tyson fans who want to excuse his transgressions. And, in any event, Holyfield was not even accused of this to my knowlege, when he was at his best. It is only as he began to slip that he adopted a style that seemed to lend itself to more head clashes.

In any event, there is a big difference between a fading great using illegal tactics to SUPPLEMENT his skills, and a talentless hack like Ruiz using shameful cheating as a REPLACEMENT for them.

What makes the Ruiz Scandal so disgusting is that without illegal holding, faking low blows, and the influence of Don King that greased the wheels for this crap - nobody ever would've heard of Ruiz after he was starched by Tua.
Zakman is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2007, 08:31 AM   #41
Icemmann
Breakin it down.
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakman
Holyfield's headbutting is WAY over-exagerated, primarily by Tyson fans who want to excuse his transgressions. And, in any event, Holyfield was not even accused of this to my knowlege, when he was at his best. It is only as he began to slip that he adopted a style that seemed to lend itself to more head clashes.

In any event, there is a big difference between a fading great using illegal tactics to SUPPLEMENT his skills, and a talentless hack like Ruiz using shameful cheating as a REPLACEMENT for them.

What makes the Ruiz Scandal so disgusting is that without illegal holding, faking low blows, and the influence of Don King that greased the wheels for this crap - nobody ever would've heard of Ruiz after he was starched by Tua.
He adopted a style that lent itself to more headclashes? So a Tyson fan could say that Tyson adopted a style that lent itself to more opponents placing body parts into his mouth?

You can't call a guy out for questionable tactics when the same guy you hype makes his living doing the same shit. Holyfields a headbutter. Same a Ruiz is a hugger.
Icemmann is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum