Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 04-28-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
anut
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default 42 Yr Old Larry Holmes Vs Prime Tommy Morrison???

????????????????/
anut is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2008, 09:00 PM   #2
ironchamp
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1230
Default Re: 42 Yr Old Larry Holmes Vs Prime Tommy Morrison???

Lots of threads on Tommy Morrison.

Morrison will likely win via UD.
ironchamp is offline  Top
Old 04-28-2008, 09:37 PM   #3
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

The Holmes who fought Mercer and Holyfield would TKO Morrison late into the fight.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 04-28-2008, 09:39 PM   #4
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I can't see Morrison landing often enough, nor cornering a 42 year old Holmes to get him where he wants him. Tommy's best weopon was the left hook, which wasn't a particularly useful tool against Holmes neither prime nor past. Holmes would likely jab away at him, and Morrison would get cut up and run out of gass leading to a TKO late. The fact that Morrison was nearly dusted by a totally shot Carl Williams is telling that an old Holmes would be the victor here.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 04-28-2008, 09:40 PM   #5
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

If Holmes could weather Morrison's early ambush, he'd probably extend Morrison and lose a close decision. But I'm not certain if Holmes could avoid being hurt during the first four rounds - when Morrison was at his most dangerous.

Holmes looked good against Ray Mercer, but Morrison would have been the kind of guy Holmes wouldn't look good against at that stage of his career. Morrison was so much faster and more explosive than was Mercer. Holmes could afford to lay back and fight at a more leisurely pace against Mercer, but against Morrison he couldn't do that.
AnthonyJ74 is offline  Top
Old 04-28-2008, 09:46 PM   #6
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
I can't see Morrison landing often enough, nor cornering a 42 year old Holmes to get him where he wants him. Tommy's best weopon was the left hook, which wasn't a particularly useful tool against Holmes neither prime nor past. Holmes would likely jab away at him, and Morrison would get cut up and run out of gass leading to a TKO late. The fact that Morrison was nearly dusted by a totally shot Carl Williams is telling that an old Holmes would be the victor here.
Holmes' jab wasn't all that special against Mercer or Holyfield. His best work was when he was lying up against the ropes and counterpunching. In the center of the ring - where he actually had to work more - he wasn't as effective.

Morrison's own jab was powerful and quick, and his body punches would sap what little energy Holmes had. I think Morrison's handspeed and punching power would be too much for Holmes to overcome.

If Holmes laid on the ropes, I think Morrison would probably break through and hurt him. He'd definitely tear Holmes' body up.

And Carl Williams was only in his early 30's I believe at the time. And he still had good speed and movement. I don't think Holmes could have fought as effectively as Williams did. Larry was slower and didn't move as well at that point.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:56 PM   #7
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ74
Holmes' jab wasn't all that special against Mercer or Holyfield. His best work was when he was lying up against the ropes and counterpunching. In the center of the ring - where he actually had to work more - he wasn't as effective.

Morrison's own jab was powerful and quick, and his body punches would sap what little energy Holmes had. I think Morrison's handspeed and punching power would be too much for Holmes to overcome.

If Holmes laid on the ropes, I think Morrison would probably break through and hurt him. He'd definitely tear Holmes' body up.

And Carl Williams was only in his early 30's I believe at the time. And he still had good speed and movement. I don't think Holmes could have fought as effectively as Williams did. Larry was slower and didn't move as well at that point.
I think Williams was around 34 and barely getting past journeyman. What's worse, is that he was always highly prone to the left hook, which was Tommy's best punch, and regardless nearly beat him. He was for the most part a shot fighter, and from what I remember, didn't have much speed against Morrison to speak of. He floored Morrison twice in the 5th round, and may have cut him up pretty good from what I remember. Holmes was still capable of taking a punch-something that Carl was not capable of, even at his peak. Larry was also very dangerous on the inside, which is where you claim he would have been against Morrison. A right uppercut with bad intentions from Holmes would have seriously hurt Morrison, and his jab was still effective enough. I think Holmes would have beaten Morrison at that point.

Morrison was for the most part, an over glorified clubfighter who made his name through affliation with his uncle John Wayne. He was heavily protected through a padded record of 28-0, until he fought men like Ray Mercer ( who Holmes beat), Michael Bent, an old Williams, and journeyman Joe Hipp. He basically ran from a 45 year old Foreman, and thats about it.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:05 PM   #8
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
I think Williams was around 34 and barely getting past journeyman. What's worse, is that he was always highly prone to the left hook, which was Tommy's best punch, and regardless nearly beat him. He was for the most part a shot fighter, and from what I remember, didn't have much speed against Morrison to speak of. He floored Morrison twice in the 5th round, and may have cut him up pretty good from what I remember. Holmes was still capable of taking a punch-something that Carl was not capable of, even at his peak. Larry was also very dangerous on the inside, which is where you claim he would have been against Morrison. A right uppercut with bad intentions from Holmes would have seriously hurt Morrison, and his jab was still effective enough. I think Holmes would have beaten Morrison at that point.

Morrison was for the most part, an over glorified clubfighter who made his name through affliation with his uncle John Wayne. He was heavily protected through a padded record of 28-0, until he fought men like Ray Mercer ( who Holmes beat), Michael Bent, an old Williams, and journeyman Joe Hipp. He basically ran from a 45 year old Foreman, and thats about it.
Morrison was definitely protected. And I'm not saying he was the best around. But he was a good fighter who happened to be very dangerous. He was the kind of guy who could end up losing to almost anybody; but he could also end up beating just about anybody that he hit cleanly. And that's part of what made Morrison such a fan favorite.

I think you might be selling Carl Williams short on his fight against Morrison. He didn't fight like a shot fighter. Even Gil Glancy, who was calling that fight, remarked that Williams looked like a fighter who was still capable. He didn't think Williams was a stiff.

But regardless, Morrison got hurt and dropped twce, but he rallied back to win. Sure he looked sloppy, and sure he got hurt by a guy who was never regarded as having a big punch. But many people expected him to crumble against George Foreman later that year. If a light hitter like Williams could drop Morrison, what would Foreman do? And Foreman hit Morrison with some solid shots along the way and Morrison never wavered!

So, would Holmes' power be a factor? Would he be able to hurt Morrison if Williams could and Foreman couldn't?

A slow, plodding fighter like Mercer staggered Holmes badly in the first round with a jab! Morrison was a much faster started than Mercer, and he hit harder. Would Holmes be able to stifle Morrison's early charges.

I think Holmes would have his hands full. Morrison fought much more similarly to Tyson than anyone else Holmes ever fought. And we all know how that played out.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:30 AM   #9
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Yeah, I recall Clancy's being impressed with the condition that Williams had shown up in that evening. I suppose Tommy Morrison was the type of hit or miss fighter in much the same way that Earnie Shavers was. He could knock out anybody or get knocked out by anybody.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum