Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2008, 12:36 PM   #31
gbaby
newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 23
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Any recollections of Johnny Persol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging B(_)LL
gbaby,

I anjoyed reading your posts in this thread, but with that said I fail to see how you dispproved my contention that Johnny had a weak mandible in any of your posts. Detached retina or not, it doesn`t change the fact that his chin was far from sturdy from what I have seen of him. Mind you, as I stated earlier Persol was such a good boxer and adept defensively that he was rarely ever tagged with a clean shot, but whenever he did you could see his legs buckle beneath him. Henry Hank wobbled him the only two times he landed anything of consequence, and Jimmy Dupree waxed the floor with him in their return after he finally nailed him. I liked Johnny and think he was a mighty fine boxer and a treat to watch, but I stand by what I said in regards to his punch resistance.
The Jimmy Durpree fight you speak of was Johnny's last fight. That loss caused Gil Clancy to advise Johnny to hang it up. Remember, Johnny Perol KO'd Jimmy Dupree in their first bout. By the time of the second bout, Johnny's eye injury was permanent and he was seeing double vision. I don't think there are too many boxers with double vision who can withstand being hit flush by another professional boxer. Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed reading my comments.
gbaby is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2008, 12:41 PM   #32
gbaby
newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 23
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Any recollections of Johnny Persol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yancey
Totally agree with you that Johnny Persol was a very stylish boxer.

He sure outfoxed those heavies like Woody and Lincoln.

If you ever see Mr. Persol, tell him I sure enjoyed reading about his exploits in Ring Magazine back when I was a young boy in the '60s.
Yancey, your comments were so informative and knowledgable that I thought you actually may have attended some of Persol's bouts. In fact, I was impressed by the information you had about Persol's past fights, and only a true fight fan would have this kind of knowlege from the '60s. Apparently, you and I are about the same age as I was born in '54. In any event, I saw Johnny Persol about 3 weeks ago, and I speak to him on a fairly regular basis. I will pass it on about your enjoyment of reading about him in the Ring magazine in the '60s. If you have any of those old articles or magagzine, I'd sure be interested in buying them.
gbaby is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:28 PM   #33
yancey
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 561
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Any recollections of Johnny Persol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby
Yancey, your comments were so informative and knowledgable that I thought you actually may have attended some of Persol's bouts. In fact, I was impressed by the information you had about Persol's past fights, and only a true fight fan would have this kind of knowlege from the '60s. Apparently, you and I are about the same age as I was born in '54. In any event, I saw Johnny Persol about 3 weeks ago, and I speak to him on a fairly regular basis. I will pass it on about your enjoyment of reading about him in the Ring magazine in the '60s. If you have any of those old articles or magagzine, I'd sure be interested in buying them.
gbaby,

I was born in 1952, and boy was I ever a big time boxing fan from about 1966 to 1975. Persol was one of my favorites and he had some great writeups in Ring around 1966 as I recall. Man, I used to love going around to the corner Drug Store back then and read the boxing mags.

Unfortunately, I threw away all the old Ring Magazines I bought...wish I would have kept them.

You may want to do a search on Ebay from time to time. I know they have old Ring Magazines for sale.

Thanks for telling Mr Persol hello, and tell him he had a young kid down in Louisiana pulling for him back then.

Yancey
yancey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:25 PM   #34
gbaby
newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 23
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Any recollections of Johnny Persol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yancey
gbaby,

I was born in 1952, and boy was I ever a big time boxing fan from about 1966 to 1975. Persol was one of my favorites and he had some great writeups in Ring around 1966 as I recall. Man, I used to love going around to the corner Drug Store back then and read the boxing mags.

Unfortunately, I threw away all the old Ring Magazines I bought...wish I would have kept them.

You may want to do a search on Ebay from time to time. I know they have old Ring Magazines for sale.

Thanks for telling Mr Persol hello, and tell him he had a young kid down in Louisiana pulling for him back then.

Yancey
Your youth mirrors mine. I use to go to the local Book Store and read the ring magazine during that same period. The front cover was always colorful and attractive. Additionally, my interest in boxing diminished somewhat after around '75, but I did enjoy Larry Holmes and Mike Tyson bouts. The boxers from this era do not excite me. Johnny Persol is a trainer and he told me it is difficult to get new fighters from this generation. By the way, do you rememeber the Gillette Friday Night fights, and have you ever seen Johnny Persol fight on that program?
gbaby is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:43 PM   #35
yancey
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 561
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Any recollections of Johnny Persol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby
Your youth mirrors mine. I use to go to the local Book Store and read the ring magazine during that same period. The front cover was always colorful and attractive. Additionally, my interest in boxing diminished somewhat after around '75, but I did enjoy Larry Holmes and Mike Tyson bouts. The boxers from this era do not excite me. Johnny Persol is a trainer and he told me it is difficult to get new fighters from this generation. By the way, do you rememeber the Gillette Friday Night fights, and have you ever seen Johnny Persol fight on that program?
Definitely remember the Gillette Friday night fights, but don't recall Persol specifically being on them. I'm sure he was, and I would love to get a dvd of the best Gillette fights, if they are still available.

What I do recall was Persol's hot streak against heavies like Woody and Lincoln and how much of a play it got in the mags.

It did come all apart against Ellis. Maybe, like Persol says, he came in cold, but Ellis was much more mobile than the other heavies Persol had been beating. BTW, Persol was 179 for the Ellis fight, and Ellis was 190.

Persol probably well could have been Light Heavy champ at some point.

p.s. I admired all styles of boxers. I liked Persol's artful, classy style, but I also liked the primal, swarmer styles a la Smokin' Joe.
yancey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:06 PM   #36
gbaby
newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 23
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Any recollections of Johnny Persol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yancey
Definitely remember the Gillette Friday night fights, but don't recall Persol specifically being on them. I'm sure he was, and I would love to get a dvd of the best Gillette fights, if they are still available.

What I do recall was Persol's hot streak against heavies like Woody and Lincoln and how much of a play it got in the mags.

It did come all apart against Ellis. Maybe, like Persol says, he came in cold, but Ellis was much more mobile than the other heavies Persol had been beating. BTW, Persol was 179 for the Ellis fight, and Ellis was 190.

Persol probably well could have been Light Heavy champ at some point.

p.s. I admired all styles of boxers. I liked Persol's artful, classy style, but I also liked the primal, swarmer styles a la Smokin' Joe.
I have a copy of Bobo Olson vs. Johnny Persol from a Gillette Friday Night fight, and I'd be happy to burn you a copy. Its not copyrighted. Persol won, and on it you can see how "pretty" Persol boxed; almost ballet like mastering every aspect of the game from jabbing, combinations, counter punching,, bobbing and weaving.
gbaby is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:22 PM   #37
yancey
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 561
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Any recollections of Johnny Persol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby
I have a copy of Bobo Olson vs. Johnny Persol from a Gillette Friday Night fight, and I'd be happy to burn you a copy. Its not copyrighted. Persol won, and on it you can see how "pretty" Persol boxed; almost ballet like mastering every aspect of the game from jabbing, combinations, counter punching,, bobbing and weaving.
Sent you a pm, gbaby.
yancey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:36 PM   #38
gbaby
newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 23
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Any recollections of Johnny Persol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yancey
Sent you a pm, gbaby.
Yancey:

I received your e-mail, but could not respond to it because one must have 50 posts before this forum will allow one to respond to pm. In any event, I went home for lunch, burned you a copy, and its in the mail. This cost is 1.5 million, but don't worry about paying me because as long as you owe me, I'll never go broke.
gbaby is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:52 PM   #39
yancey
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 561
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Any recollections of Johnny Persol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby
Yancey:

I received your e-mail, but could not respond to it because one must have 50 posts before this forum will allow one to respond to pm. In any event, I went home for lunch, burned you a copy, and its in the mail. This cost is 1.5 million, but don't worry about paying me because as long as you owe me, I'll never go broke.
Thanks a bunch, gbaby, I would have needed some seriously long term financing on that one.

Looking forward to seeing Johnny Persol in action again.

Last edited by boxfan99; 06-03-2007 at 07:40 PM.
yancey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:06 PM   #40
gbaby
newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 23
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Any recollections of Johnny Persol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yancey
Thanks a bunch, gbaby, I would have needed some seriously long term financing on that one.

Looking forward to seeing Johnny Persol in action again.
Yancey, let me know when you receive the DVD, and when you watch it, pay close attention to the commentator as he cites a wealth of information.
gbaby is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:07 PM   #41
yancey
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 561
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Any recollections of Johnny Persol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby
Yancey, let me know when you receive the DVD, and when you watch it, pay close attention to the commentator as he cites a wealth of information.
Sure will.
yancey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:05 PM   #42
gbaby
newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 23
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Any recollections of Johnny Persol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yancey
Sure will.
Did it arrive yet?
gbaby is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:26 PM   #43
yancey
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 561
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Any recollections of Johnny Persol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby
Did it arrive yet?
gbaby,

It arrived today. Thanks so much.

Persol looked great. Great left jab, lead rights. Spin moves were great, that one in the 4th round with one glove on the ropes was something else. The move he put on near the end of the 6th followed by the strong right was also impressive. Olson was a canny veteran...just couldn't deal with the speed.

I don't understand how the ref called it a draw, imo, Persol won convincingly. Amazing that the ref can have it 5-5, yet one of the judges sees the fight as 9-1, Persol.

Anyway, will treasure the dvd, tell Mr. Persol hello, and he could well have been light-heavy champion had he not had the eye problems.

Thanks again,

Yancey
yancey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #44
gbaby
newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 23
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Any recollections of Johnny Persol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yancey
gbaby,

It arrived today. Thanks so much.

Persol looked great. Great left jab, lead rights. Spin moves were great, that one in the 4th round with one glove on the ropes was something else. The move he put on near the end of the 6th followed by the strong right was also impressive. Olson was a canny veteran...just couldn't deal with the speed.

I don't understand how the ref called it a draw, imo, Persol won convincingly. Amazing that the ref can have it 5-5, yet one of the judges sees the fight as 9-1, Persol.

Anyway, will treasure the dvd, tell Mr. Persol hello, and he could well have been light-heavy champion had he not had the eye problems.

Thanks again,

Yancey
Yancy:

I'm happy you received the DVD and even more happy that you enjoyed the fight. I can tell by you comments that you really studied the rounds, and that you are a real boxing fan. Quite frankly, I was as impressed as you with Johnny Persol's beautiful boxing style in this fight. I will make sure I tell him he has a true fan in Louisanna. Best regards.

Gbaby
gbaby is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013