Old 04-27-2008, 02:50 AM   #46
godking
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime Holmes v Prime Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
That is what I used to believe, and it's also the furthest thing from the truth. It's a myth that needs to be ended. If there was a single punch that clearly wasn't effective on a prime Tyson(with Rooney in his corner, pre Don King) it was the jab. His defensive awareness and bob and weave made it basically useless. The uppercut was the most effective punch on a prime Tyson, as shown in small doses by Tucker. When he bobbed and weaved his way inside, he often crouched low and stayed in a good spot to have it landed on him. Even then though, his head movement made it harder to land.

That's a reason I don't agree with those who think Liston would've beaten Tyson. Holmes has a better chance with the quickness of his jab and movement, but the jab wouldn't effect him as you think. Overall though, this fight is basically 50/50. I'd give Lewis a slightly better shot.
True Tyson was specifically trained to beat fighters who tried to outjab him.

Tyson vs Holmes is 50-50.
godking is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2008, 02:53 AM   #47
godking
Contender
ESB Senior Member

[quote=slicksouthpaw16]
Quote:
Sounds like a kid in denial. Tyrell Biggs, Quick Tillis, James Douglas, Tucker ect all found homes for their jabs.

Watch how Tyson strugles with simple movement and a consistant jab from Biggs.
BORKED

Tyson gets frustrated by movement and jabs from Tillis. Its gets to a point where he stands in front of him with his hand up, completely confused at how someone is not only fighting him back, but boxing his ears off as well.
BORKED

Buster Douglas used the jab to control Tyson throughout the fight and keep him at bay. The jab is why Douglas offense was working and how he had so much success. He never abandoned it and stuck with it throughout the entire fight. His jab set up the uppercut and right hand that knocked
Tyson's lights out.

BORKED

If you really think that Tyson wasn't vulnerable to jabs, then you are completely biased(which you have shown by your judgement of Tyson).
You are Talking about the Biggs who received a 7 round beating ?

The same Tucker who Tyson was outjabbing in the later rounds ?

Tillis did well against a 19 year old Tyson he still lost in the end.
godking is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2008, 03:00 AM   #48
godking
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksouthpaw16
You don't anything about boxing history. What elite fighters did Holmes beat? How about Ken Norton, Tim Witherspoon, Ray Mercer(at age 43) and Mike Weaver, all better than any of the opposition than Tyson has beaten. Plus he scored a few more upsets when he was older and defended his belt over 20 times. Know your history son.

Also, i posted that video as an example of Tyson having problems with jabs. Funny how posters interrupt conversations when they don't even know what their talking about.

Tyson would be a clear favorite to beat everyone of thos guys.

Question how manyh times did BIGGS land his jab in that first round who landed the round winning shots ?. Dancing around and throwing jabs that dont land does not mean that you are frustrating anyone it means that you are wasting energy .

WHO WON THAT ROUND !.
godking is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2008, 06:58 AM   #49
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealthy Elite
Honestly, i think you might be legally retarded. Then again, thats what i expect from people from alabama.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2008, 10:48 AM   #50
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:

Everyone with a brain knows Holmes beat Spinks and was robbed, both times. Spinks just held on for dear life and barely fought Holmes.

OMG, another for the hall of shame

JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2008, 10:50 AM   #51
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Legally retarded? Yeah, people that are legally retarted gets straight A's and is on their way to college. Not to brag or anything.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:29 AM   #52
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealthy Elite
Making fun of him is like fishing with dynamite.

Unbeliveably easy and tons of fun.
I'm inclined to agree, with the only downside being the total lack of challenge
Old 04-27-2008, 11:49 AM   #53
abraq
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Seriously though, in their actual fight Holmes was able to bottle up Tyson fairly well in the first few rounds. In his prime he would have a very good chance to take it to the later rounds. Then it would get interesting.

I would go with those who say that it would have been a fifty-fifty fight.
abraq is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2008, 02:53 PM   #54
yancey
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I go with Holmes to bottle up Tyson early, and stop him late. Look for some big right uppercuts from Larry to go with that jab.

Larry rates very highly on the all time heavyweight list, imo.
yancey is offline  Top
Old 04-30-2008, 01:52 PM   #55
round15
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Prime vs Prime, I'd say Holmes by decision. Prime Holmes would have stood up to Tyson and taken some of his best shots early in the fight. I think Tyson may have him down and in a bit of trouble but Holmes would weather Tyson's early attack. In the middle rounds I think he would get to Tyson and outpoint him with his jab and right hand. People really forget how good Larry Holmes was because he was beating everyone put in front of him like Tyson was in his early career. I think conditioning would be the ultimate factor in this fight. Holmes has been 15 rounds, Tyson hasn't. Some on this forum are quick to conclude that the number of rounds has no significance in a fight in a prime vs prime comparison. I strongly disagree. Conditioning is a huge factor over the number of rounds because that plays directly into pacing and strategy. Holmes could box and move for 15 rounds, whereas Tyson doesn't have the Frazier type conditioning pressure to move forward against Holmes if it goes past 12. I don't think Tyson would be able to survive mentally for 15 rounds, because his frustration level sets in quickly as soon as he starts to get tagged. Now, if Tyson employs the same mental toughness and discipline when he fought Tony Tucker and Frank Bruno, both of whom did a lot of clinching against Tyson, I think he would not break down as easily past 12 and could still put up a good fight in the last three rounds. Remember, punches lose power when fatigue sets in.
round15 is offline  Top
Old 06-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #56
Curtis Lowe
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I think Tyson TKO Holmes. Holmes would not be able to deal with Tyson's aggressiveness.
Curtis Lowe is offline  Top
Old 06-22-2013, 07:13 PM   #57
hookfromhell
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by round15 View Post
Prime vs Prime, I'd say Holmes by decision. Prime Holmes would have stood up to Tyson and taken some of his best shots early in the fight. I think Tyson may have him down and in a bit of trouble but Holmes would weather Tyson's early attack. In the middle rounds I think he would get to Tyson and outpoint him with his jab and right hand. People really forget how good Larry Holmes was because he was beating everyone put in front of him like Tyson was in his early career. I think conditioning would be the ultimate factor in this fight. Holmes has been 15 rounds, Tyson hasn't. Some on this forum are quick to conclude that the number of rounds has no significance in a fight in a prime vs prime comparison. I strongly disagree. Conditioning is a huge factor over the number of rounds because that plays directly into pacing and strategy. Holmes could box and move for 15 rounds, whereas Tyson doesn't have the Frazier type conditioning pressure to move forward against Holmes if it goes past 12. I don't think Tyson would be able to survive mentally for 15 rounds, because his frustration level sets in quickly as soon as he starts to get tagged. Now, if Tyson employs the same mental toughness and discipline when he fought Tony Tucker and Frank Bruno, both of whom did a lot of clinching against Tyson, I think he would not break down as easily past 12 and could still put up a good fight in the last three rounds. Remember, punches lose power when fatigue sets in.
Holmes did fairly well clinching early, and came out on his toes for
a vintage moment. If Holmes can survive he can possibly get a decision or a late tko like round 15. However, we must consider the fundamental flaw
in Larry's jab. Tyson was a way better finisher than Shavers and Mike wouldn't le Larry off the hook. Mike KO 8.
hookfromhell is offline  Top
Old 06-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #58
OvidsExile
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Holmes.
OvidsExile is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum