Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-21-2007, 08:15 AM   #16
groove
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Has anyone ever scored Ali-Norton trilogy...

I find it hard to watch the 3rd fight as Ali was no longer the same fighter and used rope-a-dope too much and became a punching bag. He definitely shoulda called it a day after the Manila fight. Woulda ended up with only 2 losses and probably wouldn't have got Parkinsons. The many shots from the likes of Norton, Shavers, Holmes etc that he took in his last few years of his career gave him Parkinsons IMO. Ali had slowed down a lot and his speech was slurring- a big sign that something is wrong. That's why Dr Ferdie Pacheco left his team. He saw the signs and tried to warn Ali without any success.
Here's an except of an article i just found :-
The Opponent

Larry Holmes was proudest of the black eye.

He got it as an amateur the first time he stepped into the ring for a sparring session with Ali, at his training camp in Deer Lake, Pa.

"I didn't want to put ice on it," Holmes said. "Having him give me a black eye meant a lot to me."

Holmes would later give Ali much worse. The two met on Oct. 2, 1980, at Caesar's Palace, with Ali lured out of retirement to fight a former sparring partner who had become the heavyweight champion of the world.

Ali had given him his first chance in boxing, but Holmes had a job to do against the aging former champion, who grew a mustache before the fight and presented himself as "Dark Gable."

The fight was lopsided from the opening bell. Holmes was young, fast and strong. Ali was a shell of himself and took a beating until he finally quit on his stool after the 10th round.

"He was like a little baby after the first round," Holmes said. "I was throwing punches and missing just for the hell of it. I kept saying, `Ali, why are you taking this?'"

"He said, `Shut up and fight. I'm going to knock you out.'"

When the fight was over, Holmes and his wife went upstairs to pay their respects to Ali. In a darkened room, Holmes told Ali that he loved him.

"Then why did you whip my ass like that?" Ali replied.

Holmes hasn't seen Ali recently but said he heard he was down to 185 pounds.

"I can't just say Ali was the greatest because there were so many great fighters out there. I can't say he was greater than Marciano, Louis, Dempsey and everyone else," Holmes said.

"A lot of it today is that people feel sorry for him because he's got that Parkinson's or whatever is wrong with him. They feel he doesn't have too much longer to live, and they want to be part of the legend."
groove is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2007, 10:04 AM   #17
robert ungurean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

2-1 Norton
robert ungurean is online now  Top
Old 07-21-2007, 11:26 AM   #18
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

I think my cards were:

115-113 Kenny

115-114 Ali

144-142 Kenny
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2007, 12:23 PM   #19
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 576

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Science
The 3rd fight was painfully close and could have gone either way. Though a lot of people seem to think Norton was robbed.
I think Norton won it, but it wasn't a robbery. I had it 8-7; I can see how people could score it for Ali. Compare that to Lewis-Holyfield I, where you could only score it for Holyfield if you'd already decided to score rounds in his favour without paying attention to the action.
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2007, 12:24 PM   #20
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 576

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
I think my cards were:

115-113 Kenny

115-114 Ali

144-142 Kenny
I'm similar, although I had the first fight 116-112 for Norton and the second 115-113 for Ali.
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2007, 12:46 PM   #21
fg2227
Contender
ESB Senior Member

2/1 For Ali
fg2227 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum