boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2007, 02:19 PM   #1
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,717
vCash: 1000
Default BJ Penn vs. David Tua

Weird fight for you--who wins this one prime for prime under MMA rules?
cross_trainer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2007, 04:03 PM   #2
Dostoevsky
Hardcore......to the max!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Kingdom of Fife, Scotland.
Posts: 2,848
vCash: 1000
Default Re: BJ Penn vs. David Tua

Are you being serious?
Dostoevsky is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 04:12 PM   #3
Doppleganger
Il Genio
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 765
vCash: 800
Default Re: BJ Penn vs. David Tua

BJ Penn does. Tua could catch Penn as he shoots and his raw strength and power might give Penn problems on the ground but BJ should submit him fairly quickly all things considered.
Doppleganger is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 04:30 PM   #4
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,717
vCash: 1000
Default Re: BJ Penn vs. David Tua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke
Are you being serious?
Not really. This is just a "fun" matchup.
cross_trainer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 04:41 PM   #5
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,230
vCash: 1000
Default Re: BJ Penn vs. David Tua

Penn submission 1. However, if Tua did catch him with those 4 ounce gloves.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 06:37 PM   #6
Donut62
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 727
vCash: 1000
Default Re: BJ Penn vs. David Tua

The fight would be decided as they closed in. God help any human being who takes a 4oz gloved punch from Tua. On the the ground BJ would have problems with the size and strength, but should be able to swing around and take his back easily and tap him out.
Donut62 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 08:41 PM   #7
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,267
vCash: 1000
Default Re: BJ Penn vs. David Tua

I saw Penn having a lot of trouble with Machida, just based on the fact is much bigger. Tua is huge, strong and powerful. If Tua is just dumb, he can be beaten but if he has some intelligence I think his size and strength will make him hard to take down. Tua punching BJ with 4oz gloves - heaven forbid.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 09:09 PM   #8
Donut62
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 727
vCash: 1000
Default Re: BJ Penn vs. David Tua

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat
I saw Penn having a lot of trouble with Machida, just based on the fact is much bigger.
He is much bigger plus he is a brazilian ju jitsu wizard with great clinch and muay thai work. I don't Penn would be so tentative if he knew the other guy only had his hands.
Donut62 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 09:24 PM   #9
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,267
vCash: 1000
Default Re: BJ Penn vs. David Tua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut62
He is much bigger plus he is a brazilian ju jitsu wizard with great clinch and muay thai work. I don't Penn would be so tentative if he knew the other guy only had his hands.
Would Tua only have his hands? Why do people think all boxers are morons who have no sense of the fact they can hold, use their legs etc

Plus, from what I saw Machida wasn't a wizard. He was just big, passive, tentative and defensive. Still his strength alone, i.e. in wanting to stay standing, meant BJ had difficulty.

BJ would have to call upon all his skills because he wouldn't sensationally outgunned because of size.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 05:07 AM   #10
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,230
vCash: 1000
Default Re: BJ Penn vs. David Tua

Quote:
Would Tua only have his hands? Why do people think all boxers are morons who have no sense of the fact they can hold, use their legs etc
Nobody has insisted that, the insist is that if a boxer gets locked up by a Jiu Jitsu expert, rendering their punching useless, renders them useless. It's really not easy to argue against this also.
Quote:

Plus, from what I saw Machida wasn't a wizard. He was just big, passive, tentative and defensive. Still his strength alone, i.e. in wanting to stay standing, meant BJ had difficulty.
While Tua is light years ahead in hand to hand striking from boxing, Machida is light years ahead in knowledge about how to defend against this level of advanced grappling.

Quote:
BJ would have to call upon all his skills because he wouldn't sensationally outgunned because of size.
He'd get Tua down and subbed pretty quick, most likely a RNC, unless Tua caught him, which I'd never rule that out. If Tua catches him flush....

... that's quite a thought.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:18 AM   #11
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,267
vCash: 1000
Default Re: BJ Penn vs. David Tua

Quote:
Nobody has insisted that, the insist is that if a boxer gets locked up by a Jiu Jitsu expert, rendering their punching useless, renders them useless. It's really not easy to argue against this also.
I'm not saying anyone has insisted it. Generally that is the case and it is mostly what people imply. I know what a JJ expert can do, I'm saying Tuas a big guy so it'll be hard to do.

Quote:
While Tua is light years ahead in hand to hand striking from boxing, Machida is light years ahead in knowledge about how to defend against this level of advanced grappling.
Definitely but I am talking about the difficulty Penn had merely from a size point of view.

Quote:
He'd get Tua down and subbed pretty quick, most likely a RNC, unless Tua caught him, which I'd never rule that out. If Tua catches him flush....

... that's quite a thought.
It's intriguing but I'm not 100% sure on anything.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 02:28 PM   #12
curtis
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 17
vCash: 1000
Default Re: BJ Penn vs. David Tua

wandy vs hunt anyone?
curtis is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 04:03 PM   #13
Donut62
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 727
vCash: 1000
Default Re: BJ Penn vs. David Tua

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis
wandy vs hunt anyone?
That would be a ****ty BJ Penn vs a ****ty David Tua. Hunt is closer to a Tua than Wandy is to a BJ Penn (no offense to Wandy, but he's a not a BJJ based fighter like BJ). But I could definetely see it being similar.
Donut62 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015