Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-23-2007, 07:38 AM   #31
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Hopkins Attain ATG Top 10 p4p Status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist
well you could make the argument that Hopkins lost to Taylor and Wright (and of course to Roy).
Not many would claim Hopkins lost to Wright. Didn't you score DLH over Mayweather the other day? To be honest i haven't watched the full fight but can't recall seeing many if any touting Oscar. I see Oscar congratulate Hop after the fight, maybe he's chasing a piece of 175 pie

JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2007, 07:38 AM   #32
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
You're going to have to show me your list now...

I've never really done one.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2007, 07:40 AM   #33
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
I've never really done one.
Then don't say bad things about Archie.

I sympathise though...I got a post WW2 one that i'm confused about and has gone all soft, and a pre WW2 one that only has 7 slots filled. When I try to join them both together into an awe inspiring top 17 i get angry and strat throwing things.
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 07-23-2007, 07:41 AM   #34
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Then don't say bad things about Archie.

I sympathise though...I got a post WW2 one that i'm confused about and has gone all soft, and a pre WW2 one that only has 7 slots filled. When I try to join them both together into an awe inspiring top 17 i get angry and strat throwing things.

No, but if I did a rough one, I reckon Charles would be around 9/10. Ahead of Moore, who probably gets in at around 16.

* Logs off*

* Runs away*
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2007, 07:44 AM   #35
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
No, but if I did a rough one, I reckon Charles would be around 9/10. Ahead of Moore, who probably gets in at around 16.

* Logs off*

* Runs away*

When you do these lists you always end up leaving of great, great fighters. Only ten slots in a top ten. Then nightmare is you do end up doing a 20...then a 25...then you realise you've forgotten someone and start throwing things.

If you're not TBooze or Sweet Scientist it's probably best left.
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 07-23-2007, 07:50 AM   #36
Nemesis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:

* Logs off*

* Runs away*
I've never done one myself, i dont particularly like lists.

I dont remember if you have ever stated your numero uno, so go one give us your top three
Nemesis is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2007, 11:37 AM   #37
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Shane lost pretty close to his peak, Hopkins definitely didn't. The comparison is stretched to me. Hopkins defences, his unifications and numerous years unbeaten and solid peak hammer anything Shane has done. I'm not debating the thread topic, the top 10 spot. It's not out of the question Bhop might still be able to make 10-20 possibly tho, who knows.
Hopkins is the better fighter but not by all that much imo.

Personally I'd say the Jones loss was as close to Hopkins' peak as the Forrest loss was to Shane's peak. (Of course Jones was a much better fighter than Forrest).

As to numerous years unbeaten, Mosley went unbeaten from 1993 to 2002. Hopkins went unbeaten from 1993-2005.

Hopkins has a longer series of defences at 160 than Shane had at 135, but if we're talking meaningful title defenses, Hopkins hasn't had that many more. I mean, would it be more impressive if Shane hung around lightweight and gave a couple of rematches each to Demetrio Ceballos and Golden Johnson and eventually unified with a Cesar Bazan or a Paul Spadafora?
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2007, 11:41 AM   #38
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Not many would claim Hopkins lost to Wright. Didn't you score DLH over Mayweather the other day? To be honest i haven't watched the full fight but can't recall seeing many if any touting Oscar. I see Oscar congratulate Hop after the fight, maybe he's chasing a piece of 175 pie

Yeah I had Oscar by a point. I know Ron Borges had Oscar winning, and since he plagiarises, he probably copied someone else's scorecard who had it for Oscar as well. That makes two at least
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2007, 12:06 PM   #39
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

RJJ essentially decisioned Hopkins with one good hand. Bernard desperately needed to avenge that defeat.

Just as Barry Bonds would be a legitimate MLB HOFer without steroids, so too would B-Hop have been an ATG in the 15 round era. But I don't think he ever had a chance to reach top ten P4P status without avenging that loss to RJJ in impressive fashion. In earlier times, they would have had a series of matches to determine who was consistently better. He would also do very well to nail down a win over Jermain Taylor.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2007, 12:17 PM   #40
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Shane lost pretty close to his peak, Hopkins definitely didn't. The comparison is stretched to me. Hopkins defences, his unifications and numerous years unbeaten and solid peak hammer anything Shane has done. I'm not debating the thread topic, the top 10 spot. It's not out of the question Bhop might still be able to make 10-20 possibly tho, who knows.
Hopkins lost against RJJ in his physical prime. He ducked RJJ in his prime

Mosley dominating at lightweight and jumping to welter to beat Delahoya twice is no small task and depending on the end to his career may put him on par with BHOPs.
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2007, 03:19 PM   #41
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
What would you do with him if he beat Kessler/Calzaghe and then Chagaev?
Kessler and Chagaev are unproven,a win over Calzaghe would be impressive but unlikely,I just dont think B Hop is that good ,he shines in a small talent pool ,I dont rate Taylor too high ,he is much too passive ,and Tarver is nothing special .Hopkins best other wins were over men coming up in weight,he has dominated his division but ,they havent been much ,imo,Hopkins looks better than he is because there are so few decent figters his weight around.
mcvey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum