Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-09-2008, 03:29 PM   #1
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default If "This is it"! Had actually happened?

Does anyone remember the Famous "This is It" card by MAPS( Muhammad Ali Pro Sports). Does anyone remember what were the matchups & Who would have won these fights on this Supercard.
la-califa is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2008, 03:37 PM   #2
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: If "This is it"! Had actually happened?

I know one of the bouts was. Eddie Mustafa Muhammad . Vs. Matthew Saad Mohammad. When both were at thier peak. Eddie had great skills, but Saad had tremendous heart & pulled fights out, time & time again. I would have to go with Saad in a late round stoppage.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:46 PM   #3
Sam Dixon
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I remember it being talked about plenty, and if my memory hasn't failed me, some of the other matchups (along with Eddie vs. Saad) were Hearns/Benitez, Cooney/Norton, and, I think, Gomez/Ayala. Possibly one other major bout that I'm not remembering.

Of course the FBI's investigation into MAPS and it's chairman, Harold Smith (who went on the run, I believe), derailed it all with only a couple of weeks before the card was to take place, which was in early 1981.
Sam Dixon is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2008, 08:54 AM   #4
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Wasn't Kenty supposed to fight Arguello on that card?
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #5
Sam Dixon
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1
Wasn't Kenty supposed to fight Arguello on that card?
I think that one was planned when the card was in the initial phases of scheduling, although I seem to be remembering that it was scratched well in advance for some reason and wouldn't have been a part of the card had it taken place.

The one other one that I was thinking to be all set to go and which came to mind in my previous post was a possible Pryor/Mamby unification fight at 140, but didn't Pryor get put on the shelf after getting shot sometime that winter?
Old 06-10-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
PaddyD1983
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 324

Can a historian fill me in on what this was? Either it was before my time or I missed a memo. Never heard of this before, but it sounds like dreamland!
PaddyD1983 is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2008, 03:07 PM   #7
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Dixon
I think that one was planned when the card was in the initial phases of scheduling, although I seem to be remembering that it was scratched well in advance for some reason and wouldn't have been a part of the card had it taken place.

The one other one that I was thinking to be all set to go and which came to mind in my previous post was a possible Pryor/Mamby unification fight at 140, but didn't Pryor get put on the shelf after getting shot sometime that winter?
I've heard something to that effect also.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2008, 10:27 AM   #8
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyD1983
Can a historian fill me in on what this was? Either it was before my time or I missed a memo. Never heard of this before, but it sounds like dreamland!
In about 1981 this was supposed to be a supercard, by a new promotion company, MAPS(Muhammad Ali Pro Sports). But before the card was to come off. There was an investigation & the Chairman was indicted(Harold Ross Smith). Which lead to inverstigations into Boxing promotional practices. But the proposed card had about five or six great superfights for that time. One I know was a unification match between Ed. Mustafa Muhammed-Matt Saad Mohammad, I believe, Jeff Chandler-Lupe Pintor, Another involved Wilfredo Gomez(Sanchez)?, Or Sanchez-Pedroza?, But I mean ALL the fights were great.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:53 AM   #9
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think I had set my money aside to buy the Closed Circuit ticket when it was canceled.

The Pryor story about getting shot I vaguely remember.

Everyone wanted to see Saad vs Eddie, but even that was controversy about 2 Muslims fighting each other....whatever that means by today's standards.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2008, 10:53 AM   #10
PaddyD1983
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by la-califa
In about 1981 this was supposed to be a supercard, by a new promotion company, MAPS(Muhammad Ali Pro Sports). But before the card was to come off. There was an investigation & the Chairman was indicted(Harold Ross Smith). Which lead to inverstigations into Boxing promotional practices. But the proposed card had about five or six great superfights for that time. One I know was a unification match between Ed. Mustafa Muhammed-Matt Saad Mohammad, I believe, Jeff Chandler-Lupe Pintor, Another involved Wilfredo Gomez(Sanchez)?, Or Sanchez-Pedroza?, But I mean ALL the fights were great.
WOW!

What an ambitious card! Not something I've heard of before. Thanks for the history lesson!

Cant see anything like that happening any time soon :(
PaddyD1983 is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2008, 11:29 AM   #11
Sam Dixon
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by la-califa
I just found the following this morning;

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Page 4 indicates that the original card was Cooney/Norton, Eddie/Saad, Hearns/Benitez, Gomez/Ayala, and Arguello/Kenty, which was a bout that was cancelled in January of that year.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum