Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #16
jc
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 419
Default Re: Shane Mosley vs Ike Quartey

Ike was strong but could be out boxed, had a killer punch but i think it takes more to beat a fighter on Moselys level with just a big prescence, Forrest was quick aswel as a stylistically nightmare, Quartey would be out speeded over 12 in this one.

Mosley UD.
jc is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2008, 04:29 PM   #17
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

I think Quartey would win very handily on the cards. Bad matchup for Mosley. Quartey was stronger and better than Forrest, with an even better jab, better inside skills, and better pressure, yet everyone fails to see what that could do to Shane when Forrest did it so effectively. I don't get it. Quartey did like to brawl a bit at times, but normally against fighters of a similar mold like De La Hoya. Against the brawling types like Park and Phillips(Vince) he was very tight and technical, not as loose and open when he got brave in the Oscar fight.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2008, 04:30 PM   #18
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc
Ike was strong but could be out boxed, had a killer punch but i think it takes more to beat a fighter on Moselys level with just a big prescence, Forrest was quick aswel as a stylistically nightmare, Quartey would be out speeded over 12 in this one.

Mosley UD.
So why was Forrest a stylistic nightmare? His jab and height. Ike has the same edges, especially the jab. He was clearly a better fighter, with a better jab, and more proven than Forrest. People are short-handing Quartey here.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:45 PM   #19
bladerunner
El Intocable
East Side VIP

vCash: 14503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
So why was Forrest a stylistic nightmare? His jab and height. Ike has the same edges, especially the jab. He was clearly a better fighter, with a better jab, and more proven than Forrest. People are short-handing Quartey here.
or maybe youre overrating Quartey.
bladerunner is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2008, 04:48 PM   #20
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner
or maybe youre overrating Quartey.
Explain, what have I said that was untrue? A well past prime Quartey was robbed blind against Forrest when they fought, showing even at that stage of his career that he was the superior fighter, and you don't think a prime Quartey would've done any better against a smaller fighter he holds a similar stylistic edge on?

You think I overrate Quartey by calling him better than Forrest? What is your case? I think you've either just straight up not seen enough of Quartey or you're just not putting things together.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:57 PM   #21
bladerunner
El Intocable
East Side VIP

vCash: 14503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
Explain, what have I said that was untrue? A well past prime Quartey was robbed blind against Forrest when they fought, showing even at that stage of his career that he was the superior fighter, and you don't think a prime Quartey would've done any better against a smaller fighter he holds a similar stylistic edge on?

You think I overrate Quartey by calling him better than Forrest? What is your case? I think you've either just straight up not seen enough of Quartey or you're just not putting things together.
Quartey struggled with lesser fighters than Mosley and he had problems late in fights he also sometimes just didnt throw enough punches.
Forrest was taller than Quartey and hit harder than him he also knew Mosley very well.i can see Quartey winning but i dont think it would be so easy as you said.
i think if Mosley sets a fast pace Quartey would have a lot of problems late in the fight and would win a decision.
bladerunner is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2008, 05:51 PM   #22
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Quartey struggled with lesser fighters than Mosley and he had problems late in fights he also sometimes just didnt throw enough punches.
Forrest was taller than Quartey and hit harder than him he also knew Mosley very well.i can see Quartey winning but i dont think it would be so easy as you said.
i think if Mosley sets a fast pace Quartey would have a lot of problems late in the fight and would win a decision.
Quartey had problems late in a few fights, not so much to his account as his opponents. He rarely faded late.

Quartey ALWAYS threw enough punches, this leads me to put you in the category I mentioned that didn't see enough of him. Quartey had a relentless pace with the jab, and a variety of other punches. Was always active, it was one of his strong points.

Forrest was taller than Quartey, but didn't utilize the jab or pressure as well as guys like Winky or Quartey, which worked equally effectively. Also, I wouldn't say Forrest hit significantly harder than Quartey, who was at one point known as possibly the division's biggest puncher.

Against a fast pace, if he could hold you off with the jab, and outmuscle you, Quartey was more than effective. Shane was not as effective vs the types who did it back, and backed it up with height, reach, and jab.

I don't see Mosley hurting Quartey down the stretch with the style Quartey would use(tight and technical, as he used against those styles, rather than daring, as he used against De La Hoya), so I see it being a solid Decision win, something like 9-3 or 8-4.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:58 PM   #23
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Not sure about Forrest punching harder than Ike. I'd probably say Quartey was the heavier hitter of the two. He was definitely the stronger. No way he'd let a bum like Mayorga bumrush him, injured or not.

Anyway, I think this is a fairly close to 50/50 fight given both fighters vulnerabilities: Shane to a good one-two, and Ike to fade outs.

I'll probably go with Ike here in a razor thin decision, winnng 7 of the first 10 rounds and then Mosley coming on, perhaps dropping him and winning the last couple of rounds.

Key will be Quartey's punching power actually, which will keep Shane somewhat weary of wading in and swarming with activity - until it's too late to win a decision anyway, because he'll probably find a way to do it in any case in the last couple of rounds.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum