Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-13-2008, 08:27 PM   #1
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Michael Spinks vs Evander Holyfield in 1986..

HERE'S THE SCENARIO,

Michael Spinks has just gotten through two fights with Larry Holmes. It is now mid 1986, and he decides that after a near defeat in his rematch with Larry, that maybe he should either call it quits, or perhaps try going after other fish in the lighter ranks. He decides to drop down in weight, but discovers that getting back to 175 Lbs is a bit tough at this stage, so he settles for tackling the cruiserweight ranks, around 185-190 Lbs. He is at this point, 29-30 years of age, and has a record of about 29-0-0-19.

Meanwhile, Evander Holyfield has made quite a prescence at cruiserwieight. He is about 24 years old, and in July of 1986 defeated Dwight Qawi over 15 rounds to win the WBA title. As a first defense, he decides to go after a legacy fight with the great Spinks, with the intention of collecting a huge payday, as well as creating a nice gateway to the heavyweight ranks...

MY ANALYSIS,

Although we never saw Michael Spinks fight between 180-190, this may very well have been an ideal weight class for him, given that he convincingly dominated a very competitive lightheavyweight division, and faired decently at heavyweight. For all we know, the cruiserweight class might have proven to be a haven for Spinks.

Evander Holyfield, is to this day, the most dominant cruiserweight the division has ever seen in my mind. But in 1986, he was a 12 fight novice. Even upon beating the great Dwight Qawi over 15 rounds, he was still an obvious work in progress. Holy was perhaps a more athletic and mentally tougher fighter than Spinks was, but these qualities would not become evident until years later, and in a different weight class.

MY CONCLUSION,

A well seasoned Michael Spinks, with an awkward style, and experience at beating the very best, both above and below cruiserweight, would have convincingly decisioned a young Holyfield. A few years later, Evander would have destroyed any version of Spinks, right around the time he dethroned Douglas, but a green Holy fighting at what was possibly a great weight for the jinx, and in the year of 1986, would have been disasterous.

What do you think.??

Last edited by mr. magoo; 06-13-2008 at 08:52 PM.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Michael Spinks vs Evander Holyfield in 1986..

Great analysis and one hell of a breakdown. I would have to agree with you on this one, though Holyfield was one hell of a force at this time, Spinks already established himself as one of the best by beating Holmes twice in two very close matches.

As you said Spinks would win in 86, while by 88,89 I feel Holyfield would of been seasoned enough to not only beat Spinks, but knock him out as well.
Punisher33 is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2008, 09:35 PM   #3
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

I agree that a young Holyfield would have problems with Spinks, and lose a decision. I also believe an older Holyfield would have problems with Spinks, but would eventually find a way to stop him.

Holyfield tends to have problems with people that are not aggressive. He looked bad against, Holmes, Moorer in their first encounter(which I scored for Evander when I saw it), Czyz, Bean, Ruiz, Byrd, Toney, and Donald. True, he was well past his best in certain encounters. Holyfield was also winning a couple of those throughout, just looking bad for the most part. I'm just pointing out a pattern. Holyfield does not look good against people that move away from him, or assume a passive roll.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2008, 01:31 PM   #4
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'll go the other way and take Holyfield by decision.

I wanted to see this fight happen and actually wanted to see Spinks tested by other guys like Tony Tucker or Bruno or some others. I thought Spinks came along when the guys like Saad/Galindez/Johnson/ and those guys were sliding down the ladder and Spinks was on the way up. I like seeing how these guys handle things when they are the old guy facing the pedigreed youth.

Spinks sure didn't do too well facing that in Tyson and Holyfield showed a lot of toughness, conditioning, and that big competitive nature in that first Qawi bout. I think Evander outworks the guy in 86 and I think the Spinks footwork had decreased quite a bit by then. It was good enough for an old Holmes, but then again a novice heavyweight in Williams was pretty effective in the footwork department against Holmes as well in that timeframe. Holyfield would've pressured Spinks a bunch and forced him to fight at a pace he would not have been comfortable with.
zadfrak is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2008, 02:22 PM   #5
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadfrak
I'll go the other way and take Holyfield by decision.

I wanted to see this fight happen and actually wanted to see Spinks tested by other guys like Tony Tucker or Bruno or some others. I thought Spinks came along when the guys like Saad/Galindez/Johnson/ and those guys were sliding down the ladder and Spinks was on the way up. I like seeing how these guys handle things when they are the old guy facing the pedigreed youth.

Spinks sure didn't do too well facing that in Tyson and Holyfield showed a lot of toughness, conditioning, and that big competitive nature in that first Qawi bout. I think Evander outworks the guy in 86 and I think the Spinks footwork had decreased quite a bit by then. It was good enough for an old Holmes, but then again a novice heavyweight in Williams was pretty effective in the footwork department against Holmes as well in that timeframe. Holyfield would've pressured Spinks a bunch and forced him to fight at a pace he would not have been comfortable with.
I actually think that a more experienced Spinks, and fighting at a class that was closer to his ideal weight, would have had a better chance of controlling the tempo than Holyfield would have. Sure Evander was a bit more athletic and often took the fight to his opponent, but his best days probably wouldn't come until sometime between 1987-1990. In 1986, and with only 12-14 fights, he was very much in the embryonic stages of his career. The Tyson fight of 1988 can't really be used as a gauge to tell us how a fight with Holyfield in 1986 would have gone. This was a different Spinks.....A different Holyfield....A different scenario entirely.....
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2008, 04:17 PM   #6
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 765

Spinks is one of my favourite fighters, but by the Holmes rematch, with hindsight, the candle had stopped burning in him.

Spinks was hardly the greatest fan of the sport to begin with, he saw what the sport had helped to turn his brother into, and after the death of his partner I think he was purely interested in the money; nothing else.

So with that in mind, I take a hungry, fired up Holyfield, approaching his physical peak to add a brilliant name to his resume in a brutal one sided beating of Spinks....

Holyfield TKO11 (corner retirement, Holyfield leading 9-2 on the cards.)
TBooze is online now  Top
Old 06-14-2008, 08:07 PM   #7
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1987

I'd edge towards Spinks if it was '86, however I'd pick Holyfield after '88.
TommyV is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum