Old 06-05-2008, 01:03 AM   #16
Silver
The Champ is Here
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bob Foster vs. Marvin Hagler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave's Top Ten
Agreed, Hagler was just over 5 ft 9. Weighed in at 157 for the first Hamsho fight and a tad more than that for the Duran fight. Not a big middleweight, and certainly not big enough to take on Spinks, Foster or Qawi.
yeah if anything, monzon should have moved up considering the size advantage he had over his opponents.
Silver is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2008, 04:47 PM   #17
round15
Belt holder
ESB Addict

This could be a very wild contest like Hagler vs Hearns. The main difference I believe is that Foster wouldn't be KO'd by Hagler in 3 rounds. In fact, Foster could probably have Hagler hurt early in the fight if he landed one of his big right hand bombs. Hagler could decision Foster with his pressure and work rate, but I wouldn't count out Foster getting the decision or knocking out Hagler late in the fight.
round15 is offline  Top
Old 06-12-2008, 09:44 PM   #18
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Dick Tiger and Hagler are about the same size with similar chins.

Prime Foster carried TNT in both hands.

Foster is 4 or less.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Old 06-12-2008, 09:55 PM   #19
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Foster wouldn't dominate Hagler in some kind of inhumane fashion at all. Any Hagler-Tiger comparisons are null and void because not only was Hagler taller and smarter, he was arguably more durable and definitely had better boxing ability.

It might just turn out that Hagler storms into Foster the same way he did Hearns; that'd be his best bet anyway, to close the gap and take away most of the long-armed Foster's power. I say most, because Foster's short hooks could crack skulls - quite literally. Ask Vicente Rondon.

If Hagler boxed at a distance he'd get picked apart fairly easily - Foster was perhaps the best jabber of all the light heavyweight greats, and his massive height advantage would make it nearly impossible for Hagler to land his jab, no matter how good it was in its own right.

Hagler wouldn't win this fight either way and he'd probably end up being stopped. Strategically there would be no safe or effective option because he is outgunned in all areas of the game, but he had enough natural grit and fighting talent to give Foster a run for his money.

Fifteen pounds is a big difference in weight, but not so big that Hagler goes from being the most durable middleweight in history to being battered in three rounds. I've said this before on Hagler-Spinks match ups, where some people have picked Spinks to obliterate Hagler in the same fashion. Hagler would last longer with Spinks, perhaps the whole distance, because Spinks wasn't the same predator Foster was.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2008, 09:41 PM   #20
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I suppose that's settled then?
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 06-15-2008, 07:00 AM   #21
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa
I suppose that's settled then?
Not really ,there was about an inch between Tiger and Hagler in height ,negligible.Foster the best jab of the LHvy's? I don't think so ,better than Loughran's,Johnson's?.Foster's height wouldn't be that relevant as ,unlike Hearns he didnt fight tall he half crouched.How important the fact that Hagler is a southpaw I don't know,I take Bob by late tko or dec.a top 4 LH against a top 4 M.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 06-15-2008, 08:37 AM   #22
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

This would not be a good idea for Hagler, as Foster's power was superior to even Thomas Hearns'. There's no way that Hagler could deal with Foster, but alas, like Carlos Monzon, Hagler was too smart to fight in any division except the one he was most suited for, and would never, IMO, ventured up to lightheavy to fight a guy with all the obvious advantages, such as Foster.
red cobra is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum