Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2007, 07:43 AM   #1
good right hand
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Go to the body... there's organs in there
Posts: 938
vCash: 1000
Default who where the ten greatest fighters to come out of michigan?!

the motor city was known for three things to me

cars
music

and pedigree boxers


who where the ten greatest fighters to come out of michigan?
good right hand is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2007, 09:03 AM   #2
AREA 53
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 1000
Default Re: who where the ten greatest fighters to come out of michigan?!

Stanley ketchel

Buster Mathis (I Think)
AREA 53 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:37 AM   #3
Sonny's jab
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: who where the ten greatest fighters to come out of michigan?!

...... and Joe Louis ...... and Sugar Ray

Thomas Hearns
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:49 AM   #4
ozziebattler
Shadow Boxer
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wild West of Sydney
Posts: 3,331
vCash: 1000
Default Re: who where the ten greatest fighters to come out of michigan?!

Eminem........
ozziebattler is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:54 PM   #5
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,867
vCash: 1000
Default Re: who where the ten greatest fighters to come out of michigan?!

Tony Tucker?
Titan1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:32 PM   #6
ironchamp
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 2,825
vCash: 1230
Default Re: who where the ten greatest fighters to come out of michigan?!

James Toney
Joe Louis
Floyd Mayweather (like or not he's an ATG in the making)
Tommy Hearns
ironchamp is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:47 PM   #7
Bad_Intentions
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Miami FL, USA
Posts: 3,688
vCash: 153
Default Re: who where the ten greatest fighters to come out of michigan?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchamp
James Toney
Joe Louis
Floyd Mayweather (like or not he's an ATG in the making)
Tommy Hearns
Bad_Intentions is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:55 PM   #8
Mike T
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 862
vCash: 1000
Default Re: who where the ten greatest fighters to come out of michigan?!

Pinklon Thomas?
Mike T is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:56 PM   #9
Mike T
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 862
vCash: 1000
Default Re: who where the ten greatest fighters to come out of michigan?!

Moorer
Mike T is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #10
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,384
vCash: 1000
Default Re: who where the ten greatest fighters to come out of michigan?!

Derrick Coleman.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #11
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 988
vCash: 500
Default Re: who where the ten greatest fighters to come out of michigan?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREA 53 View Post
Stanley ketchel

Buster Mathis (I Think)
In all fairness, Ketchel was living in Butte, Montana, by age 15, working as a bouncer in a saloon/brothel. He started fighting here, had the bulk of his fights here. He took it real personally when he was run out of town for having no visible means of support- he didn't mind being viewed as an undesirable 9he was, after all, a gambler, a brawler and most probably a pimp), but he resented the implication that he was a bum.
Thereafter he ended his association with Butte and took on the Michigan Assassin name. But he came here real young, started fighting here, and had most of his fights here.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #12
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,765
vCash: 500
Default Re: who where the ten greatest fighters to come out of michigan?!

Kid Lavigne, "the Saginaw Kid "...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #13
SLAKKA
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,897
vCash: 1000
Default Re: who where the ten greatest fighters to come out of michigan?!

holman williams
SLAKKA is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #14
Anubis
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 808
vCash: 1000
Default Re: who where the ten greatest fighters to come out of michigan?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
In all fairness, Ketchel was living in Butte, Montana, by age 15, working as a bouncer in a saloon/brothel. He started fighting here, had the bulk of his fights here. He took it real personally when he was run out of town for having no visible means of support- he didn't mind being viewed as an undesirable 9he was, after all, a gambler, a brawler and most probably a pimp), but he resented the implication that he was a bum.
Thereafter he ended his association with Butte and took on the Michigan Assassin name. But he came here real young, started fighting here, and had most of his fights here.
He did, but it's always been my personal preference to go by the objective criteria of place of birth origin.

As Stan was born in Grand Rapids, that settles it for me. [1]

After Ketchel, I'm not numbering these guys in descending order, just counting up to ten. [I'm sure some of you can improve on a few of the names here among those born in Michigan.]

PBF was also born in Grand Rapids, which could trigger an entirely new debate about the greatest to come from that specific location in Michigan. [2]

Pinklon Thomas was born in Pontiac. [3]

George "Kid" Lavigne was born in Bay City. [4]

Ad Wolgast was born in Cadillac. [5]

The Dirrell brothers were born in Flint [6,7], as was Chris Byrd [8] (and his sister Tracey, for good measure).

Bronco McKart was born in Monroe. [9]

Kenny Lane was born in Big Rapids. [10]

I'm leaving off "Carpetbaggers" Louis, Robinson, Hearns and Ali. They are not native to the state.
Anubis is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #15
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,088
vCash: 500
Default Re: who where the ten greatest fighters to come out of michigan?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
He did, but it's always been my personal preference to go by the objective criteria of place of birth origin.

As Stan was born in Grand Rapids, that settles it for me. [1]

After Ketchel, I'm not numbering these guys in descending order, just counting up to ten. [I'm sure some of you can improve on a few of the names here among those born in Michigan.]

PBF was also born in Grand Rapids, which could trigger an entirely new debate about the greatest to come from that specific location in Michigan. [2]

Pinklon Thomas was born in Pontiac. [3]

George "Kid" Lavigne was born in Bay City. [4]

Ad Wolgast was born in Cadillac. [5]

The Dirrell brothers were born in Flint [6,7], as was Chris Byrd [8] (and his sister Tracey, for good measure).

Bronco McKart was born in Monroe. [9]

Kenny Lane was born in Big Rapids. [10]

I'm leaving off "Carpetbaggers" Louis, Robinson, Hearns and Ali. They are not native to the state.
Johnny Van Heest, one of the best FWs of his era: ********boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=64440&cat=boxer
Surf-Bat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013