Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-07-2008, 03:47 PM   #31
Scorpion
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2039
Default Re: best champion with no.......

Koki Kameda
Scorpion is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2008, 07:14 PM   #32
Quickhands21
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinxkid
So true. I remember watching him the first time, and as a native Pittsburgher rooting for him not so much to win the fight, as to show himself to be the real thing. Dissappointed at first to see how little swat he had, but then the longer I watched, realizing I was watching a masterful boxer.

That guy was as elusive as water. Too bad about him.
Yeah im from pittsburgh to..at first i didnt like him..but as i watched more i started to appreciate how skilled he was..did pretty good for having a gimp leg n no punch
Quickhands21 is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2008, 03:19 AM   #33
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Wow.

Where'd you hear that from?

Certainly not Ali or Young!
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2008, 02:11 PM   #34
Chinxkid
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickhands21
Yeah im from pittsburgh to..at first i didnt like him..but as i watched more i started to appreciate how skilled he was..did pretty good for having a gimp leg n no punch
Yeah, he had an awkward style that made him hard to nail flush. I remember thinking how long it had been since Pgh had a real fighter. Michael Moorer, I guess we could claim, though if I'm not mistaken he only fought out of the area, was from Michigan or somewhere, if I recall, though I could be wrong.

Can you tell me the name of that fighter from Mckeesport, a middleweight I think? He was trained and managed by an old friend of mine, a fixture around the game for a long time in Pgh... Davy Kadair, was like an uncle to me, a guy who knew the game as well anybody, and who finally got a hold of a real fighter and then just up and died at 59; one massive heart attack and he's gone.

In his youth Davy looked like he was gonna have a go of it himself in the ring. A tall lanky welter with some pop and some speed, alotta know-how in there, who had a few professional fights and won 'em all, till he was walking home from training at the Lyceum one day and gets pinned between a streetcar and a truck. Multiple shattered bones in both shins, a grueling surgery, a long steel plate in each leg, and Davy's gait would be constricted and stiff-legged for life...

Ralph Tiger Jones, the sequel, maybe? I never heard another word about him after that. This was around the early to mid-nineties.

Last edited by Chinxkid; 07-08-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Chinxkid is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2008, 10:35 PM   #35
Quickhands21
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Yeah, he had an awkward style that made him hard to nail flush. I remember thinking how long it had been since Pgh had a real fighter. Michael Moorer, I guess we could claim, though if I'm not mistaken he only fought out of the area, was from Michigan or somewhere, if I recall, though I could be wrong.

Can you tell me the name of that fighter from Mckeesport, a middleweight I think? He was trained and managed by an old friend of mine, a fixture around the game for a long time in Pgh... Davy Kadair, was like an uncle to me, a guy who knew the game as well anybody, and who finally got a hold of a real fighter and then just up and died at 59; one massive heart attack and he's gone.

In his youth Davy looked like he was gonna have a go of it himself in the ring. A tall lanky welter with some pop and some speed, alotta know-how in there, who had a few professional fights and won 'em all, till he was walking home from training at the Lyceum one day and gets pinned between a streetcar and a truck. Multiple shattered bones in both shins, a grueling surgery, a long steel plate in each leg, and Davy's gait would be constricted and stiff-legged for life...

Ralph Tiger Jones, the sequel, maybe? I never heard another word about him after that. This was around the early to mid-nineties.
Ill have to look into fighters from the port..Thats interesting though..I was just with gary winmon yesterday..Remember him?former pittsburgh heavyweight..ill probably see paul sometime soon..he pops up every now n then..think hes up in erie right now..Michael moorer trained outta pittsburgh earlier in his career your right..My coach trained him briefly chuck senft..You been to 3rd avenue gym?
Old 07-09-2008, 01:50 AM   #36
Chinxkid
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Ill have to look into fighters from the port..Thats interesting though..I was just with gary winmon yesterday..Remember him?former pittsburgh heavyweight..ill probably see paul sometime soon..he pops up every now n then..think hes up in erie right now..Michael moorer trained outta pittsburgh earlier in his career your right..My coach trained him briefly chuck senft..You been to 3rd avenue gym?
Yeah, Paul has alot of skill in there. I thought Moorer trained outta there, somewhere, outta town I thought. I do know of Chuck and Gary both, who doesn't? I'm not familiar with that gym though, and this is gonna sound stupid, but I've been outta town a long time; 3rd Avenue where? Downtown Pittsburgh?

I wasn't a fighter myself, my dad was the guy in my avatar back in the forties. You might know about that era of boxing in Pittsburgh. You spend time on this forum you can't help but hear about Pittsburgh boxers from that time. It was a time before mine of course. I'm only old enough to be your father, not your grandfather for Christ's sake! But I did get to meet some of these guys. It was a different time in Pittsburgh. But then it was a different time in the country. People didn't have to play it so safe and close and these guys had a sense of humor about it. The downside wasn't such a plunge, and people got a chance to rebound. I remember my dad taking me out to a card club in Squirrel Hill, around the back and up the steps of a two-story commercial building. We walked in the unlocked door and there on the far side of this loft, sat around a card table a bunch a guys I never saw before or since; but also sitting in one of the end seats, with a handful of cards, Billy Conn.

My dad made sure I met alot of people. I got to meet some of the guys from Old Pittsburgh: Fritzie Zivic, Bob Baker, Andy Kid DePaul (he's still around, I'm glad to see when I watch a fight from there. Andy's a great guy whom my dad fought, and who thirty years later was driving down Greentree Road when he saw an old man lying face down on the sidewalk. He pulled over and jumped out of his car and after turning him over and reviving him, lifting him into a sitting position, asked him where he lived, where he was trying to go, where he belonged; my mother's Italian, diabetic, in one minute but out the next father had gone missing and unconscious again, and Andy brought him home.
Chinxkid is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2008, 02:20 AM   #37
Quickhands21
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Shit thats a sad but cool story about your pops,,i wish i could have met zivic an all those greats..whats your dads name? i remember reading about him on here.I would bet my right arm your dad was friends with my uncle joey diven..he was conns bodyguard for a while..He got me into boxing,he use to sit there smoking cigars watchin all the fights when i was a kid..i dabbled with boxing but i wouldnt go far.too many shoulder injuries from baseball.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:23 AM   #38
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 619

What about the guy that beat both Loughran and Rosenbloom?
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2008, 02:46 AM   #39
Chinxkid
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Shit thats a sad but cool story about your pops,,i wish i could have met zivic an all those greats..whats your dads name? i remember reading about him on here.I would bet my right arm your dad was friends with my uncle joey diven..he was conns bodyguard for a while..He got me into boxing,he use to sit there smoking cigars watchin all the fights when i was a kid..i dabbled with boxing but i wouldnt go far.too many shoulder injuries from baseball.
My dad's name was Charley Affif, but he fought under Charley Zivic for the first half of his career. It's funny you would give your right arm, 'cause that was my dad's handicap. He had a plate in his right arm from a childhood accident and only had six inches of movement in his right elbow.

Joey Diven, are you crazy? Joey Diven was a legend on the streets of Pittsburgh, Oakland, wasn't it? Like alotta those guys were, alotta tough guys who made their names more on the streets than in the ring. I know my old man knew him, and probably alotta other guys both us could name right now.
Chinxkid is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2008, 12:53 AM   #40
Quickhands21
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
My dad's name was Charley Affif, but he fought under Charley Zivic for the first half of his career. It's funny you would give your right arm, 'cause that was my dad's handicap. He had a plate in his right arm from a childhood accident and only had six inches of movement in his right elbow.

Joey Diven, are you crazy? Joey Diven was a legend on the streets of Pittsburgh, Oakland, wasn't it? Like alotta those guys were, alotta tough guys who made their names more on the streets than in the ring. I know my old man knew him, and probably alotta other guys both us could name right now.
Holy shit..your dad was something else..i looked into him..GREAT record..Only six inches of movement in his arm..thats phenomanol..Definatley looks as tough as his record stands..ill try to read even more n ask arond about him..thats really impressive...Yea uncle joe grew up in oakland.great guy..pittsburghs got great fight history..
Old 07-10-2008, 01:49 AM   #41
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

Miguel Canto should rank highly on this list. 14 defenses of the World Flyweight title, beating all of his top challengers and all 15 title fights going the 15 round distance. I can't name another championship reign that dominant due to pure boxing skill. He had a little more than 70 fights in his career and I believe only 14 knockouts.
the cobra is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2008, 01:55 AM   #42
Slothrop
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1195

Pep or maybe LaMotta. LaMotta was really crazy good when he was in his prime.
Slothrop is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2008, 02:01 AM   #43
Quickhands21
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cobra
Miguel Canto should rank highly on this list. 14 defenses of the World Flyweight title, beating all of his top challengers and all 15 title fights going the 15 round distance. I can't name another championship reign that dominant due to pure boxing skill. He had a little more than 70 fights in his career and I believe only 14 knockouts.
I liked your breakdown of hopkins legacy..said it better then i could bro..keep it up..canto is def one of the ones at the top..
Old 07-10-2008, 03:52 AM   #44
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Quickhands21
I liked your breakdown of hopkins legacy..said it better then i could bro..keep it up..canto is def one of the ones at the top..
The Hopkins' legacy thread is now officially my favorite thread. I got a lot of compliments posted there, but a compliment of my posts on a totally different thread is enough to make it official. Thank you for that. I can't really say who the best champion ever without any kind of punch is, but Canto was the fighter who came to my mind first.
the cobra is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2008, 04:17 AM   #45
BIG DEE
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

BIG DEE HERE= I am going to put down a fighter that wasn`t a world champion but should have. I think he was screwed in a title fight he should have won. He had 49 pro fights and it came out 45 W 4 L 8 KOs and he never lost by KO. HIS NAME WAS JOEY ARCHER AND HE WAS ONE OF THE FINIST PURE BOXERS IN MY LIFETIME. TODAY HE WOULD BE A CHAMPION WITH THE
CRAP WE HAVE AS CHAMPIONS TODAY. WE HAVE ONE REAL ONE AND THREE IMPOSTORS.
BIG DEE is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum