Old 07-25-2007, 06:30 PM   #16
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sonny Liston -vs- Gene Tunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
I agree witht his; he may actually be more likely to beat evey heavyweight champ that has ever been than every light-heayweight champ there has ever been for this very reason

But he did have that lethal "leap in" versus smaller fighters. A fighter like Liston could throw caution to the wind on occasion. Tunney may be equal to it though.[/quote]
Quite agree ,I make it a pick em fight,the Liston who bombed out Williams was far superior to the aging ,hard drinking ,lacking in ring rounds ,lumbering Bear who Ali jabbed to death,but I give Tunney a very real shot here,he had all the qualities to make Sonny look slow and cumbersome,Fast hands ,very fast feet ,he was a ring general ,knowing every inch of it,he had a fast accurate left jab thrown like a vipers strike,a quick punishing short right cross ,and was very durable,he wouldnt be there for the wide hook off the jab ,nor thre follow up clubbing right,but if ,and its a big if Sonny could corner him ,as an old Dempsey did ,he would be in serious jeopardy.Machen gave subsequent boxer types the blue print to deal with Sonny and as clever as Eddie was he wasnt the boxer Tunney was,neither did he have his wonderful footwork or ring brain.Tunney takes a dec.
mcvey is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2007, 07:11 PM   #17
DocDevil
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum
Ingo was able to blast out Machen in a single round, whereas a peak Liston couldn't do it in 12. Like Hagler, I think Sonny's power has been overestimated, but also like Marv, Liston's jab is one of his power shots. When that's combined with the ability to take a punch, whoever possesses those qualities will certainly present an awesome appearance. Also, Sonny failed twice to take out Whitehurst inside of ten rounds (although he barely missed the second time), while Archie Moore succeeded in getting Bert out within ten. Liston was tremendous in a kill or be killed scenario, but Gene wouldn't be playing that game.

Tunney was also a brilliant analyst, and like Ali, virtually impervious to body punishment. Moving in and out, he would beat Sonny to the punch repeatedly with his faster jab. Inside, he could smother Liston as he did Dempsey. He was also tough as nails, something he aptly demonstrated in the first match with Greb. Check out the ridiculous footspeed he displays after getting decked by Dempsey. If Sonny somehow managed to hurt Tunney, Gene would have more than enough ability to weather the storm, and quickly recover.
Always get a kick about Sonny and Ingo against Machen.Yes Ingo destroyed Machen.eddie thought all he had to do was show up to beat,Ingo,and got blasted.Against Liston,Machen was more interested in not getting kayoed.A way past it Machen made it to the tenth with pressure cooker Joe Frazier.Does this mean Ingo takes Liston and Frazier?No.Tunney had his face broke up by a middleweight,{Greb},so maybe I will assume Liston,Kayo's Tunney.
DocDevil is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2007, 07:04 PM   #18
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocDevil
Always get a kick about Sonny and Ingo against Machen.Yes Ingo destroyed Machen.eddie thought all he had to do was show up to beat,Ingo,and got blasted.Against Liston,Machen was more interested in not getting kayoed.A way past it Machen made it to the tenth with pressure cooker Joe Frazier.Does this mean Ingo takes Liston and Frazier?No.Tunney had his face broke up by a middleweight,{Greb},so maybe I will assume Liston,Kayo's Tunney.
Ingo was very shrewd in the benchmark performances of his career. He drew Machen in by retreating around the ring, and nailed Eddie advancing on him. Against Patterson, Ingo won the title by first throwing Floyd off with his unexpected left.

Johansson-Liston would have been an interesting matchup. Ingo couldn't take Sonny's best, but could Liston have stood up to Ingo's right if Johansson had connected first? Frazier had the heart of a lion, but if Ingo nailed him early, how do we know it wouldn't have been Foreman-Frazier I, or Johansson-Machen all over again?

I consider Frazier to be a top five all-time HW titlist, someone who would have beaten more of history's other HW champions than Big George would have, but Ingo was only defeated twice (once after he had floored Patterson two times). In peak condition (rare for Ingo), he would have to be given a puncher's chance against nearly anybody he could get to. (Don't forget that Ingo scored a pair of 13th round stoppages before facing Machen. He carried knockout power throughout a match, and would have likely proceeded against Liston with the sort of caution Patterson abandoned.)
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2007, 07:08 PM   #19
mightyd40
Spartan
ESB Senior Member

i think genes boxing skills could carry him to a victory in this one but i would pick liston by late ko.....i think he hit harder than dempsey and had better overall skills
mightyd40 is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2007, 08:56 PM   #20
Muchmoore

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius
When did Liston showed he could cut the ring off well? He followed Ali in a straight line like a zombie.
I know, him being out of shape didnt take away his footwork and knowledge.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:15 AM   #21
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Tunney is very underrated, he would box Listonīs ears off. Sonny was simply to slow on his feets to fight with a boxing master like Gene. And Tunney had a good chin, he survided some hard shots of Dempsey and this man had more power than Liston, IMO a wide UD for Tunney... (10-5)
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 07:46 AM   #22
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocDevil
Greb butted Tunney as soon as they came together in the 1st round ,breaking his nose,he followed this up by giving him the laces and ,"in the nuts",treatment,Tunney was a mess at the end ,but in subsequent bouts,he mastered Greb with short punches to the stomach and chest taking the wind out of Harry and sapping his legendary stamina,its entirely possible thatr Liston might stop Tunney but to use Greb as a guide to the result could be misleading.
mcvey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum