Old 07-11-2008, 05:34 AM   #31
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238
Default Re: Jack Dempsey vs. Jack Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD FOGEY
Dempsey came out flaming from the opening bell. I think the shock of his early attack overwhelmed older fighters schooled in the waltz around and feel them out for a few rounds tweny-round era. Jack Johnson fought at the deliberate pace of that older era.
I just re-watched Dempsey-Willard, Johnson's fights and a few other fights of that era, and i second this quote. Of course Johnson is a lot better than Willard, but watching pre-1920's fights, you'd almost think there's an unwritten agreement that no big punches/combinations are thrown early, just clinching, wrestling and sneaking punches in from there. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dempsey catch Johnson early and imposing his will on him to the degree that Johnson never really recovers and is stopped relatively early.

However, if he does manage to effectively tie Dempsey up and/or block the incoming fire, i'd heavily favor him should it go past the 6th. I think the fight will be decided early and the key will be how well Johnson's defence / poise under fire holds up against the early onslaught.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Sponsored Links

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum