Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-26-2007, 09:30 AM   #1
George W Hedge
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Qs FOR ERIK MORALES FANS.

The reasons this post is in the classic section is simple, morales is an atg & he is no longer the fighter who was consistently in the top 10 p4p, in other words retired (more or less.)

This is a personal thing for morales fans, its your opinion.

1. which was morales best performance ?
(McCullouch, MAB 2, Ayala, Hernandez & Pacquiao 1 come to mind.)

2. which was morales greatest fight ?
(MAB 1 & 3, Pacquiao 1 & 2 stick out for me.)

3. which morales defeat hurt the most ?

4. who would you like to see morales beat in his last ever fight ?
(MAB, Pacquiao & Raheem are obvious choices.)

5. Everybody in their primes, could morales have beat MAB, Hamed, Pacman & Marquez ?

Anything else regarding morales will be welcome.

George W Hedge is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2007, 08:10 PM   #2
BOGART
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Qs FOR ERIK MORALES FANS.

1 So many to choose from- Barerra, Zaragoza, Chavez, Jones, etc. I think I'd take his first fight with Pacquiao. With the benefit of hindsight this was his last stand that the greats tend to make.

2 His greatest fight, for me, is either the Pacquiao win or his victory over Barerra. These guys will rate highly at the end of their careers and make it into the hall of fame. Morales beat prime/near prime versions of those guys.

3 Raheem is the biggest loss on his ledger. Losing to Pac and Barerra can be understood. Losing to Raheem, who is a solid fighter, is the worst defeat of his career.

4 It would be fitting if Morales and Barerra, who I think lose their next fights, finished up against each other with Morales evening their rivalry at 2-2.

5 Barerra and Marquez would always give Morales their toughest bouts. I'd actually pick prime versions of both of them over "El Terrible". Both Hamed and Pacquaio are tough nights for anyone. I think Morales would be favored prime for prime over both. He could end up anywhere from 4-0 to 0-4 against those guys.

I always liked Morales, and I think he would be one of my favorites from the past 15 years. I'm in the minority but I think he won the first match with Barerra and I have him up 2-1 in that series. I also think he gets beat by Diaz in his next fight. Morales has little left at this point and Diaz is younger, stronger, and hungrier. Bad final bout if it is his last one.
BOGART is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2007, 11:48 PM   #3
Slicknick56
Contender
ESB Senior Member

1. Morales' most complete performances, in my opinion, were against two New Yorkers ironically Kevin Kelly and Junior Jones. In those fight he showed all the tools he possessed. But performances can also be measured by the caliber of opponent he was facing. With that said i also believe all three of his performances against Barrera were solid, with Barrera just edging him, and his performances in the first fight against pacman. Injin Chi, Wayne McCullogh, Daniel Zarazoga, Hernandez and Jesus Chavez are all honorable mentions.

2. I believe Morales greatest fight to be the first Pacman fight considering all of the hype surrounding pacman and how he was storming through the division. Many doubted Erik and picked Manny to storm through him like he did everyone else. The first round, when Manny back Erik into the ropes landed a few punches and then Erik looks up fires back pushing Manny all the way to the other side of the ring and telling him to "COME ON!" was and still is one of the greatest images and most dramatic images in recent boxing memory to me if u knew the story behind the fight leading up to it. The fab four the of the lower divisions had an incredible story behidn them. Barrera/Pacquiao/Morales/Juan Manuel Marquez.

3. The Morales defeat which was most disappointing was the Raheem fight for the mere fact that he was not supposed to lose. Now the one that hurt the most was his lost to pacman the second time. I idolized Morales for his heart and warrior mentality. My main claim to fame in idolizing him was the fact that he had never gone down and had never wilted under any type of fire power from any fighter of all the greats he had fought. To see him get brutalized in the second pacman fight then to go down the first time really hurt. To see the way he crumpled to the cavas, down to all fours, for the first time in his career like he couldnt take it anymore i think brought a tear to my eye. The third fight being a close second, watching the man who once was so great and macho quit on his shield, but it was a quit that nobody could argue with. The first time is always the toughest, so id say the second fight hurt most with the third being a close second.

4. Id like him to retire but if a final fight must be made then for storyline sake, why not give him another shot against Barrera so they can both go off into the sunset with another fight of the year candidate.

5. I beieve Morales could have beaten Hamed and Barrera in their primes. Pacquiao and Marquez will always be the two fighters who i believe give Morales alot of problems. Pacman because of his work rate and power and Marquez beacuse of his overall skill (and because i believe Marquez to be the best pure boxer of all 4 fighters to begin with.) But then again were talking about Erik Morales so like the poster above me said he could end up being 0-4 or 4-0 against these fighters. Luckily, knowing Morales, all 4 fights would have been classics.
Slicknick56 is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 11:35 AM   #4
George W Hedge
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Great stuff, cheers guys.

I think morales best performance (as far as fighting smartly & using all his skills) with regards to the calibre of opponent was.... the 2nd barrera fight......
He boxed on the outside using counter-punching, his jab & foot movement + he also went to the body alot.

MAB was in the form of his career going into this bout & wasnt regarded as a shot fighter like he was in the 1st & 3rd fights, this was the fight were both guys really wanted to win & had to be at their best.

Morales greatest fight.... MAB1... erik fought the wrong fight but won the probable fight of the century on sheer heart & work-rate.

Morales most hurtfull defeat.... the 3rd MAB fight.... even tho it was a 50/50 fight, the record books dont say that & erik`s legacy took a real blow as its very important to win your rivalries when being ranked as an atg + I really thought erik was gonna stop mab that time, he underestimated what mab had left.

Morales last ever fight vs..... MAB of course.... there is bad blood & erik might never hear the end of it or even live it down if he doesnt even the score with barrera (just look at fraziers bitterness towards ali.)

Morales vs the other greats prime vs prime.....
Barrera = I`d always fancy morales over barrera using his better foot movement & long range boxing.
Pacquiao = If pac doesnt ko erik, erik outboxes him & nobody stops prime morales, erik could fight in short spells but if he boxes more than fights he beats pac by technical skills alone.
Marquez = Morales could hang with jmm while boxing but in order to pull this off, he must mix it up (like vs pac 1st time) using his greater power to hurt jmm, if he roughs jmm up while switching back to counter-punching, he beats jmm on points.
Hamed = Depends on erik, prime erik could outbrawl naz or outbox naz, he would win easy if he boxed but might win very hard if he trades with naz.

Not suprisingly, Id pick a prime morales over all those guys with JMM & MAB giving most probs due to styles but if morales boxes as much as possible & only does `a morales` (goes to war) in spells then he wins all 4.... Thats why it kills me that he is worn out, he should have been greater.

George W Hedge is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 11:47 AM   #5
LeedsLad
Contender
ESB Senior Member

1. which was morales best performance ?
I think Pacquaio was the biggest achievement. He wasnt really given a chance after what Pac had done to MAB, but that was probably the last great performance he had left in him.

2. which was morales greatest fight ?
Morales-Barrera I was the best IMO. For entertainment that was just unbelievable, i had never seen anything like it at the time.

3. which morales defeat hurt the most?
Pacquaio III was kind of sad, when he was sat on the floor in the 3rd he looked towards his corner, and you knew that he was done at that moment. It kind of felt like the end of an era.

4. who would you like to see morales beat in his last ever fight?
Id like to see him fight MAB for the fourth time, just for old times sake, and even up the trilogy. I doubt it will happen, but one can hope

5. Everybody in their primes, could morales have beat MAB, Hamed, Pacman & Marquez?
Well, i think he did beat MAB when he was in his prime, the first fight he probably shouldnt have won but i thought he won the second. To be honest, prime for prime i see Morales beating Hamed, JMM and Pac 2/3 times, because primed Morales could have gone toe-to-toe with Pac AND give as good as he got. Morales-Hamed would have been a war, imagine how Erik would have reacted to Hamed's shit talking
LeedsLad is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum