Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-26-2007, 06:45 PM   #1
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Dick Tiger v a great cagey fighter

Like a Hopkins, Burley, Jones someoene like that.

I always feel that Tiger could have beaten any great brawler - Greb, anyone - who came to him to fight. He lost a few v elusive fighters and even brawlers who came to dodge, so that would be his weakness - he'd have no hope v a Robinson or Leonard.

But what about a guy who stands in front of him and is still elusive? How do you think he would do against any one of these guys or a similair fighter? I mean they wouldn't be running, so you would perhaps bet on him, but there is something there that needs to be unpicked.

Could Tiger unpick a fighter like that?
McGrain is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2007, 06:54 PM   #2
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Default Re: Dick Tiger v a great cagey fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
What about a Hearns? What do you think of a matchup like that? If Hearns boxed him and didn't do the Hagler/Hearns thing.
Interesting. Tiger wasn't a one punch KO artist of course. But he hit out with hurtful punches and was very consistant. He liked to set himself - that was his weakness. This one might boil down to heart. I don't beleive that Hearns, powerful though he was, could do for Tiger, so the question would be what would happen when Tiger hurt Hearns? If Hearns had enough heart to pull him through something like that, and assuming it didn't happen early he has a good chance. I lean towards Tiger though.

Quote:
As far as Greb, I dunno if he had the stamina. Greb had excellent stamina, great strength himself, and was very dirty and tricky on the inside, and had a higher workrate.
Tiger's stamina was monstoruos, and it came naturally. He killed himself to make the weight from the beginning but showed no ill affects. No disrespect to Greb, as you know I rate him, but I feel Tiger has him for style. Greb would finish this one on wobbly legs, his early lead a distant memory.

Quote:
Tiger Flowers beat a half-blind Greb and was said to have had a similar style while beating to Greb's body. Would be interesting, but once again that wasn't a prime Greb. I'd take Greb over Tiger.
I would guess that Flowers was a better boxer but Tiger would just love an opponent who was there to be hit - he never lost in this type of situation at MW. Tiger is also impossible to intimidate and very very difficult to hurt or discourage.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
I think you're either underrating or not taking into consideration one of Greb's strong points, and one he was most known for, his speed. He wasn't just a come forward brawler who would overwhelm you that way..
Sure, but just as Tiger isn't totally unable to deal with speed, Greb has to be, at least in the main, one thing or another - he'd be there enough, I think. ANd he is certainly the type to get drawn in!

I don't think Greb is not elusive enough to beat Tiger.

Be a good fight.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2007, 07:21 PM   #4
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin
I think Hopkins would beat him. His defense and better footwork would trouble Tiger.
But Hopkins keeps guys honest with counter-punching that is only good in terms of power. Tiger has walked throught worse. I won't say you're wrong, but I will say it isn't that straight forwards.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 08:35 AM   #5
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
Like a Hopkins, Burley, Jones someoene like that.

I always feel that Tiger could have beaten any great brawler - Greb, anyone - who came to him to fight. He lost a few v elusive fighters and even brawlers who came to dodge, so that would be his weakness - he'd have no hope v a Robinson or Leonard.

But what about a guy who stands in front of him and is still elusive? How do you think he would do against any one of these guys or a similair fighter? I mean they wouldn't be running, so you would perhaps bet on him, but there is something there that needs to be unpicked.

Could Tiger unpick a fighter like that?
Think he might be too strong for Leonard at 160,Tiger was vulnerable to smart boxer puncher types like Giardello,we might be surprised by the amount of lesser considered Middle weight champs that could eke out a decision over Richard Ihetu.Guys like Johnny Wilson,Fred Apostoli,Jeff Smith.Just a thought.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 11:57 AM   #6
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin
Hopkins didn't always do that. I am talking about the mid to late 90's Hopkins.

I'd be interested to hear what strategy you feel would work for Hopkins aside from the one i breifely outlined...if he comes to fight he'll get handed his head.
McGrain is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum