Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 07-26-2007, 09:22 AM   #1
Little_Mac
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Breaking up timing

Well I just had my first sparring session yesterday against my trainer (he still fights) and it was really fun. Of course, immediately my form went out the window and I fought like an ape, but I'm happy to learn I can get hit (alot) and not cry or something. I had a blast, and learned alot!

But by the beginning of the 3rd round I noticed my trainer/opponent would already be blocking my shots before they even came. So I tried alot harder to not telegraph my movements or anything but I was still completely uneffective. (I did a sneaky fake once that worked tho ) Afterwards I asked him to how he knew my punches were coming and he said "I dunno, your not telegraphing or giving them away, I just figured your "timing" out".

So my question is- What are some things I can do to break up my timing? Are there any drills for this? Or do I just have to make a really conscious effort on the bag to not fall into a rhythm? Thanks in advance!
Little_Mac is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2007, 09:41 AM   #2
0.5sj719

Default Re: Breaking up timing

I dunno any drills, but jabbing alot might work if you can get them in fast?
0.5sj719 is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2007, 10:03 AM   #3
IOANNIS
Journeyman

Boxing is like chess somehow.
In a seasoned player beginner's moves are predictable. He maybe see them like slow motion.
You must use your brain to throw smart combos to surprise your coach.
Try jab left hook or straight right jab jab (if you are orthodox) etc
IOANNIS is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #4
Brighton bomber
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0.5sj719
I dunno any drills, but jabbing alot might work if you can get them in fast?
That in itself can become predictable and therefore anticipated. Just watch any Johnson Vs Woods fight and you'll see how Johnson figures out everything works of Clintons jab, so he just throws right hand after right hand to counter any that may come his way. By the end of each fight Clinton wasn't jabbing as he was scared too because of a possible counter.

It all comesdown to variety and being unpredictable. Focusing on your weaknesses rather than strengths can help as it will give you more tools and therefore a less predictable fighting style. Also while we are taught to focus on technique sometimes being less technical can make us more unpredictable. Just look at fighters like Hamed, Graham, Eubank and Jones Jr none of these fighters did things by the book and there opponents found there styles awkward and difficult to figure out.
Brighton bomber is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2007, 01:04 PM   #5
karmazon
impossible is a dare

Double up on hands, don't just throw left-right-left-right, throw a jab then a left hook, throw a cross then a right uppercut.

Also you said you did a fake that worked, keep doing it then.
karmazon is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2007, 11:58 PM   #6
Little_Mac
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmazon
Double up on hands, don't just throw left-right-left-right, throw a jab then a left hook, throw a cross then a right uppercut.

Also you said you did a fake that worked, keep doing it then.
I guess variety would help, but it's hard to change things up when all i know is straights to the head and body and I just started learning the left hook. I'm not advanced enough to begin fooling around with uppercuts and rear hooks. i guess with time I'll learn those and be less predictable.

Yeah the fake out worked once and I tried it a few more times later on and well.... it failed. I guess he wasn't expecting me to think too much about faking so it worked the first time. That'll improve with time and practice too I guess.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:05 AM   #7
Slicknick56
Contender
ESB Senior Member

feinting (faking like u call it ) works as well as jabbing off rhythm. maybe 1 jab then 3 jabs then 2 then 3 then 1. never get into a pattern.
Slicknick56 is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 12:40 AM   #8
Little_Mac
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicknick56
feinting (faking like u call it ) works as well as jabbing off rhythm. maybe 1 jab then 3 jabs then 2 then 3 then 1. never get into a pattern.
that makes sense... i'll try that thanks!
Old 07-27-2007, 01:41 PM   #9
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

It is a complex approach. Feints, angles, set punches up, switch gears, counter etc

You got a long way to go. To someone with experience you are always going to appear predictable and get timed defensively and offensively very easily.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 09:09 PM   #10
0.5sj719

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat
It is a complex approach. Feints, angles, set punches up, switch gears, counter etc

You got a long way to go. To someone with experience you are always going to appear predictable and get timed defensively and offensively very easily.
Happened to me in my last sparring session against a pro. He knew what I was going to throw/do and beat me to the punch alot of the time.
0.5sj719 is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 09:21 PM   #11
BRICKS
the Pride of the Tribe
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat

truth. look for things that you do in patterns. like jabbing twice then throwing the straight or shifting from side to side while throwing.

best way to break up the timing is feinting and switching gears like achilles said. start off slow with a jab or two then snap another then come right behind it with the straight to catch him off guard. or rush in behind the jab then feint to get him throwing then counter off it. you deffinately gotta change up things you do as far as sparring and fighting or else your gonna get read and tagged all night. build your repertoire up.
BRICKS is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 11:52 PM   #12
JMonster
Contender
ESB Senior Member

throwing a lot of jabs, doubling and trippling up will defnitely help also
JMonster is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing