Old 08-03-2008, 02:40 PM   #16
chino2dapiapimp
WBC Fecarbox champ
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: IN any ERA would these guys DOMINATE LB4LB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
He didn't even dominate in his OWN era, so frankly I can't see the validity in the claim that he would have dominated in ANY era. During the course of his career, Lewis was badly upset by second raters in Oliver McCall and Hasim Rahman. He also decisioned a declining Mercer to what arguably should have been a draw. Additionally, he never met two top rated challengers later in his career, namely Wlad Klitschko and Chris Byrd. Let me clearify that I believe Lewis to be the best of his era, but by no means did he dominate, and truthfully I can't give him the benefit of the doubt that he would necessarily have dominated in all periods of the sport..
Relax man the thread maker uses the word dominate very loosely and asked if the guys he mentioned above would dominate if placed in any era. I dont think he ment to use "dominate" litterally but I understand what he means and by that he means to "be the man" at each respective division listed above. Although LEwis has his flaws(like many other fighters of past era's) he will be downplayed by many but I honestly cant see Lewis not being a main player in any era, and I will give him the benifit of the doubt that he would be the "man" more times than not at any given era.
chino2dapiapimp is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2008, 04:51 PM   #17
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis
1)Willie Pep 126
2)Henry Armstrong 130
3)Ray Robinson 147
4)Greb 160
5)Sam Langford 170
6 Rocky Marciano 190
7) Lennox Lewis 250

WOULD THESE GUYS Dominate if placed in any era @ these weights, thoughts
I cannot see lewis dominating in the era's of Ali (60's and 70') thats for sure
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2008, 05:03 PM   #18
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loewe
Sorry but no. If you want discuss a matter like that you have to take the whole career into account and not just a few years, so yes his fights against Holyfield and Lewis count.
Lewis had the longer career I agree, because he never abused his body like mike

BUT

Mike never once strugled with the likes of Frank Bruno and Hasim Rahman even when he was past it and not training right. I know he got beat by a 65/1 underdog in Douglas but he had a lot of ability when he was mentally right. he give a world class fighter in Tucker all he can handle for a few rounds in 1987

The only performances were Lewis looked awesome against credible opposition was:

Ruddock
Golota
Morrison

The Tua performance was good but far from awesome dispaly. He never showed us anything great

Many people feel that a shot Holyfield beat lewis in there second fight. Even though he won the first fight, Lewis was poor at the MSG. he should of finished Evander off

The mercer fight could of went against him. Same with the Klitchko fight. shannon biggs had him in all kinds of trouble in the first round

Please dont bring up Grant. golota should of finished him in the first round of there fight in 1999. He was PURE HYPE

I am not a lewis Hater. I rate him as one of the best of all time but to say that he would dominated in any era is a joke. He was unlucky in the fact that he never got to prove himself against a Prime Bowe and Holyfield is well as a still good Tyson
Old 08-03-2008, 05:06 PM   #19
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis
1)Willie Pep 126
2)Henry Armstrong 130
3)Ray Robinson 147
4)Greb 160
5)Sam Langford 170
6 Rocky Marciano 190
7) Lennox Lewis 250

WOULD THESE GUYS Dominate if placed in any era @ these weights, thoughts
None of them would dominate any era because you could always tacticaly place them alongside their kryptonite.

I think that the only thing that could hold Langford, Robinson or Greb back would be ritual avoidance.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2008, 05:10 PM   #20
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGEREDGE
The Tua performance was good but far from awesome dispaly. He never showed us anything great
Curious

That was the fight when the scales finaly fell from my eyes and I realised that I was in the presece of true greatness.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2008, 05:14 PM   #21
Loewe
internet hero
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGEREDGE
Lewis had the longer career I agree, because he never abused his body like mike

BUT

Mike never once strugled with the likes of Frank Bruno and Hasim Rahman even when he was past it and not training right. I know he got beat by a 65/1 underdog in Douglas but he had a lot of ability when he was mentally right. he give a world class fighter in Tucker all he can handle for a few rounds in 1987

The only performances were Lewis looked awesome against credible opposition was:

Ruddock
Golota
Morrison

Many people feel that a shot Holyfield beat lewis in there second fight. Even though he won the first fight, Lewis was poor at the MSG. he should of finished Evander off

The mercer fight could of went against him. Same with the Klitchko fight. shannon biggs had him in all kinds of trouble in the first round

Please dont bring up Grant. golota should of finished him in the first round of there fight in 1999. He was PURE HYPE

I am not a lewis Hater. I rate him as one of the best of all time but to say that he would dominated in any era is a joke. He was unlucky in the fact that he never got to prove himself against a Prime Bowe and Holyfield is well as a still good Tyson
I wasn´t talking about Lewis but about Tyson. You have to consider his total career and not the few years he looked awesome against inferior opposition. You should answer my posts and not something you think i meant.
I mentioned before that Lewis wouldn´t even dominate the 30s so i agree with you that he wouldn´t dominate any era - well, the only hw champs who we could speak of them dominating their era i can think of are Johnson, Louis and Marciano. Lewis was the greatest hw of the last era but he didn´t dominate it.
Loewe is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2008, 05:20 PM   #22
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loewe
I wasnīt talking about Lewis but about Tyson. You have to consider his total career and not the few years he looked awesome against inferior opposition. You should answer my posts and not something you think i meant.
I mentioned before that Lewis wouldnīt even dominate the 30s so i agree with you that he wouldnīt dominate any era - well, the only hw champs who we could speak of them dominating their era i can think of are Johnson, Louis and Marciano. Lewis was the greatest hw of the last era but he didnīt dominate it.
i never meant that final sentance at you mate. i meant it for the starter of this thread

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum