Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-18-2008, 05:02 PM   #46
clark
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who beats a prime George Foreman ?

The Foreman of '73 could be quick, even though he tends to wing his punches. I just don't see Tyson standing up to him for long.
Tyson was well trained with great movement but I still see Foreman disrupting Tyson's fight attack. Their chins were BOTH great!
clark is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2008, 05:59 PM   #47
ironchamp
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1230

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark
The Foreman of '73 could be quick, even though he tends to wing his punches. I just don't see Tyson standing up to him for long.
Tyson was well trained with great movement but I still see Foreman disrupting Tyson's fight attack. Their chins were BOTH great!
I guess quick is a relative term....

Don't go with the expectation that Tyson is the only one going to be taking leather from Foreman, remember Foreman too is going to have his fair share of leather. Foreman's jab was inconsistent and not snappy enough to dictate the pace of the fight. His overall aggression would expedite his demise. Pushing Tyson back only resets Mike right in the mid-range where he mostly feels comfortable and where his handspeed would amplify his glaring advantages.

Remember Tyson had the better chin and better delivery system. Its makes his case all the more compelling.
ironchamp is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2008, 06:46 PM   #48
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano Frazier
I would only favor Ali, Louis and Holmes over Foreman.

Sonny Liston? he was essentially a more polished more skilled more accurate version of foreman. liston was just as strong and powerful as foreman, except far more scientific.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2008, 06:51 PM   #49
Muchmoore

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49
Sonny Liston? he was essentially a more polished more skilled more accurate version of foreman. liston was just as strong and powerful as foreman, except far more scientific.
Yeah, Liston is a bad matchup for Big George.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:28 PM   #50
groove
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
There is also a stamina issue. Joe was tired at the end of his fights, and even quit the Manila fight.
Now that is hilarious - thanks. Crouch close to Foreman and expect an uppercut that will do some serious damage. Notice Ali never received any uppercuts from Foreman in his fight. Yes he leaned back using the rope-a-dope to make sure he wouldn't be taking that punch. Actually Ali never gave Foreman the opportunity to use it effectively. Crouching is one thing you don't do up-close to Foreman unless you want to play a very dangerous and risky game.
groove is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2008, 10:18 PM   #51
cpnasty
Fight Fan 83
ESB Addict

I know I'm in the minority but I feel old ass Foreman belongs on the list. I think once he got older he was much smarter and he still had energy late. Younger Foreman would be done after rnd 5. I pick old ass Foreman to tko young Foreman.
cpnasty is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2008, 11:08 PM   #52
Muchmoore

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnasty
I know I'm in the minority but I feel old ass Foreman belongs on the list. I think once he got older he was much smarter and he still had energy late. Younger Foreman would be done after rnd 5. I pick old ass Foreman to tko young Foreman.
Peak Foreman's stamina wasn't that poor. He went the distance numerous times, he only seriously gassed against Ali because he was punching as hard as he could with huge roundhouses for 8 entire rounds and Ali didn't go anywhere.

Old Foreman is over rated. Glass chinned Morrison beat Foreman, Stewart beat the crap out of him, and Schultz pummelled him. If Holyfield had the power of Foreman he would of knocked him out.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:28 PM   #53
cpnasty
Fight Fan 83
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muchmoore
Peak Foreman's stamina wasn't that poor. He went the distance numerous times, he only seriously gassed against Ali because he was punching as hard as he could with huge roundhouses for 8 entire rounds and Ali didn't go anywhere.

Old Foreman is over rated. Glass chinned Morrison beat Foreman, Stewart beat the crap out of him, and Schultz pummelled him. If Holyfield had the power of Foreman he would of knocked him out.

Old Foreman had a great chin and fought quite smart. Younger Foreman often ran out of gas but basically ran right through everyone. I really think old Foreman would have a shot at beating young Foreman.
cpnasty is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2008, 07:50 AM   #54
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Ali, Holmes, Liston, Louis, Tyson, and Lewis all would be faves. I'd give Walcott, Johnson and Tunney great chances.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2008, 08:36 AM   #55
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
Buddy Baer I would think would benefit fighting Dempsey if they thought in the 1870's under London Prize....

My point is a Jeffries (for example) would benefit from smaller gloves (thus Foreman would have to think of his hands when his bombs) and a longer distance (25 rather 15 rounds) and more lenient refereeing when it came to wrestling...
Foreman never went 15 though, and it's not like he paced himself in his prime. They all fought under the marques of queensbury rules. It wasn't something new in the 1960's. IMO the more modern way of fighting started in the mid 1930's, and was close in the 1920's.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2008, 08:39 AM   #56
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Jeff would beat Foreman too actually, I reckon. He certainly has the durability and stamina needed. I wouldn't like to see the state of Foreman's face if it were a fight beyond 15 rounds (if he lasted that far).
Old 08-04-2008, 08:42 AM   #57
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think Ali, Holmes, Lewis, Liston, Marciano (50/50), Dempsey, and Tyson (50/50) could beat him.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2008, 08:56 AM   #58
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

I've always thought Marciano and Dempsey would lose decicively (Marciano would fare the better of the two, though). I'd give Tyson the edge, better handspeed, movement, technique and equal chin: allied by the fact he's a much, much faster starter than Frazier. Tyson would be the one landing first and more frequently, his fast compact style offsets Foreman's perfectly. He's definitely the only 'swarmer' I'd favour against Foreman.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum