Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-04-2008, 02:01 PM   #1
DINAMITA
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Freddie Roach worried about Hopkins for the Pavlik fight

Lifted from a UK boxing site:

Legendary trainer Freddie Roach has expressed his fears for the health of Bernard Hopkins ahead of The Executioner's October showdown with Kelly Pavlik.
Roach was in B-Hop's corner for his split-decision defeat by Joe Calzaghe in April and was concerned by what he saw from the 43-year-old American.
Indeed, Roach, a former boxer who now suffers from Parkinson's disease, does not believe that Hopkins should have agreed to fight again, especially against a heavy-handed opponent like Pavlik.
"I’m a little bit worried about that fight," Roach admitted in an excellent interview with Ron Borges of thesweetscience.com.
“Bernard is my friend. I asked him to retire after the last fight. I saw some things I didn’t like and I told him that.
“Four times in that fight he walked to the wrong corner after the end of the round.
"One time they showed it on TV and made a joke about him looking for the ring card girls but it happened four times. Why do you go to the wrong corner four times?
"Something’s not right because Calzaghe hadn’t buzzed him. Calzaghe couldn’t hurt Bernard but Kelly is a big puncher.
"He’s a different cat. He’s a young, strong, hungry guy. Timing-wise this is not right [for Hopkins]."
As a result, Roach says that he is not interested in training Hopkins for his meeting with The Ghost.
“Would I train him for this fight? I don’t think I can do that," he stated.
"I don’t think I can help him win that fight. I think if he asks, I’ll say no."

I hated this fight for B-Hop when I first heard about it, and I'm pretty much terrified now. He should've retired after the Calzaghe fight. It was obvious he was the better fighter but once you don't have the stamina/energy/workrate to last 12 rounds without stealing a break, you know it's time to pack it in. This could be a nasty end for a legend.
DINAMITA is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2008, 02:09 PM   #2
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Default Re: Freddie Roach worried about Hopkins for the Pavlik fight

BHOPs is a defensive master and that will get him through the fight. Hes too old to mount serious consitant attacks now, in his prime he would ruin Pavlik but now he just doesnt have the output

He needs a trainer like Roach to get him in condition, Roach is the best for conditioning and that what BHOPs needs most
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2008, 05:54 PM   #3
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Does anyone think this might be a ruse by the Hopkin's camp?

Think about it. Why wouldn't they put misinformation out there to make the younger fighter potentially a bit complacent fighting a "old man"?

I don't see Roach putting that payday on the backburner and truly opting out of the fight, hence this maybe being mind games we've all come to expect from Hopkin's.
Russell is online now  Top
Old 08-04-2008, 06:45 PM   #4
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Good point Russell, Roach usually says his fighters are 'in their best shape ever' when clearly their shot anyway
PowerPuncher is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum