Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 08-08-2008, 01:47 AM   #1
Rui
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default American Olympic gold medal hopeful Gary Russell Jr. out of Olympics after collapsing

Bantamweight Gary Russell Jr. of Capitol Heights, one of the U.S. boxing team's top contenders for a medal, is out of the Olympics after collapsing Thursday night while trying to make weight.

Russell weighed 121 pounds Thursday and was trying to get to the required 119 before the weigh-in. He went running to get the last two pounds off and collapsed after returning to the Olympic Village. Doctors in the building treated him immediately and he did not lose consciousness. He was not hospitalized.

"I'm extremely disappointed," Russell said in a statement released by USA Boxing. "Competing in the Olympic Games has always been one of my dreams, and I wish I would have been able to represent my country alongside my teammates."

His brother, Allan Russell, reached by cellphone, said Russell was devastated.

Russell, 20, qualified for the U.S. team in dramatic fashion at the trials last summer in Houston. After losing his first fight, Russell had to win six straight bouts to earn his place on the team. Last October, he won three fights at the world championships in Chicago to cement his Olympic berth, then fought sluggishly, almost trying to lose as he dropped the fourth. In the spring, he faced Brazil Olympian Robson Conceicao, who had moved up a weight class to fight Russell, in an exhibition in Bridgeport, Conn. Russell pummeled him, 27-8.

Since then, Russell has only sparred. It is, by far, the longest time he has gone without a real fight.

Russell and his father, Gary Russell Sr., have chafed under some of the rules set for by USA Boxing, including the requirement that Russell spend time in Colorado Springs with U.S. coach Dan Campbell and his staff and away from Gary Sr. Russell did not feel challenged by his sparring sessions with the U.S. team in Colorado Springs, preferring to work with Allan, a vicious puncher who can challenge Gary, one of the hardest hitters on the U.S. team.

Russell Sr. has complained for months that his son is not near the shape he was in when he trained in Maryland and blames Campbell for what he calls lax conditioning methods.

A few days ago, Campbell dismissed those concerns and said of the U.S. team: "We're healthy now."

Russell and his brothers learned to fight from their father, who built a makeshift gym in the basement of the family home. The Russells brothers have many titles among them, including Silver and Gold Gloves championships.

The family struggled to find a way to get to Beijing to see Gary Jr. fight. Gary Sr. baked cakes every night and his wife, Lawan, sold them in her office the next day to help raise part of the $20,000 necessary for the trip to China. Donors stepped forward to help the
Russells as well.

Russell Sr. could not immediately be reached for comment Friday.

"He's hurt, man," said Allan of his father.
Rui is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2008, 01:53 AM   #2
MrSmall
Journeyman

Default Re: American Olympic gold medal hopeful Gary Russell Jr. out of Olympics after collapsing

Making weight in amateur boxing has become a bit of a joke, it seems.
2 down, how many to go?
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2008, 01:57 AM   #3
Farmboxer
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Default Re: American Olympic gold medal hopeful Gary Russell Jr. out of Olympics after collap

Making weight is getting absurd.
Farmboxer is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2008, 03:04 AM   #4
southpawslick
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: American Olympic gold medal hopeful Gary Russell Jr. out of Olympics after collapsing

Damn! Ismail Sillakh, Frankie Gavin, now Gary Russell.
southpawslick is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2008, 03:29 AM   #5
o_money
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: American Olympic gold medal hopeful Gary Russell Jr. out of Olympics after collap

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmall
Making weight in amateur boxing has become a bit of a joke, it seems.
2 down, how many to go?
you know what. People have over a year to train to make a wieght. If anyone's to blame its the USA amateur boxing program.
o_money is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2008, 03:34 AM   #6
Polymath
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_money
you know what. People have over a year to train to make a wieght. If anyone's to blame its the USA amateur boxing program.
They dont bro, they only have a few hours - theyre already at peak condition and then dehyrdating water. Some guys cant cut 20lbs of water and not collapse, like Gary Russell.
Polymath is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2008, 03:35 AM   #7
mexican legend
MVP!
East Side Guru

Shit.
mexican legend is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2008, 03:42 AM   #8
o_money
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymath
They dont bro, they only have a few hours - theyre already at peak condition and then dehyrdating water. Some guys cant cut 20lbs of water and not collapse, like Gary Russell.
I wasn't inferring that they were already at peak condition what I was saying is that an amatuer organization has one year to try to for see these types of issues and they should be able to try to work around them. Now I'm no amatuer boxer but I do know that your training regiment (i.e. howmuch you train and how hard) has an affect on howmuch muscle mass you develop. My point is that if one knows howmuch weight one can lose safely then one can try to train so that their overall body mass (i.e. muscle mass) prior to draining down is at a point that allows them to drain down safely. And what I'm saying is that his coaches had a year to figure this out and make it happen and same as Frankie Gavin they screwed the pooch.
o_money is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2008, 03:43 AM   #9
o_money
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican legend
Shit.
yeah I know
o_money is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum