East Side VIP

vCash: 655
Default Re: If Holyfield had of retired after Tyson in 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGEREDGE
how would boxing history have gone.

tysons legacy may not have been as tarnished

Lewis may not have gained the respect he deserved
Are you saying if Holyfield retired after his first fight with Tyson?

Tough to say!

There's a strong likelihood that he would be remembered in an even greater light, though, he did go on to beat Moorer, avenging an earlier loss and reunifying two titles, which certainly added to his legacy.

Frankly, I think the absolute best time for Holyfield to have bowed out would have been after the second Lewis bout.

That said, you have to believe that a Tyson-Lewis showdown would have happened sooner than it did, and I still believe Lewis would have emerged as the top dog in the division, as he ultimately did.

I'm actually not sure if things would be much different in the grand scheme of things.
Rumsfeld is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: If Holyfield had of retired after Tyson in 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumsfeld
Are you saying if Holyfield retired after his first fight with Tyson?

Tough to say!

There's a strong likelihood that he would be remembered in an even greater light, though, he did go on to beat Moorer, avenging an earlier loss and reunifying two titles, which certainly added to his legacy.

Frankly, I think the absolute best time for Holyfield to have bowed out would have been after the second Lewis bout.

That said, you have to believe that a Tyson-Lewis showdown would have happened sooner than it did, and I still believe Lewis would have emerged as the top dog in the division, as he ultimately did.

I'm actually not sure if things would be much different in the grand scheme of things.
My opinion differs to you on the lewis tyson fight. what i see happening is tyson regaining his momentum in 1997 by winning back the wba and ibf titles against some wba no mark and michael moorer. Lewis would win the wbc title against mccall as happened and defeat akinwande

But I believe that a Lewis V Golota fight would not have happened as King would of wanted that fight for Tyson. That fight (at that time) would be the biggest of all time and one of the most intriguing to the general public

If Lewis had not have KO'd AG as he did in 1997, there probably would not have been much clamour for a holyfield fight. That win brought Lewis out of the wilderness

I see tyson reigning supreme without any need to fight lewis. LL would of won. no doubt

I cannot see any other heavyweight contendor beating mike accept Ike Ibeabuchi. This probably would not have happened but you never know. King has made mistakes before.

I see a Tyson Tua fight happening and being the fight that makes Tyson an ATG in most people eyes (this board would still be sceptical). they would probably have fed Michael Grant to Tyson

There is a great chance that Lennox would never have got his shot at mike and would still be fighting his case to this day
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum